Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Chicago.
Chicago would be a bit much for this rural-longing person, but it is the biggest and baddest of Midwestern cities. It's almost unfair to include it on such a list.
Kansas City isn't too shabby. Someone mentioned Johnson County. Don't be fooled. Its job "growth" largely comes from luring existing companies from just across the state line. Nothing to write home about.
Milwaukee is a sleeper. Better than people may think. Downside is, the locals can't figure out why you'd move here. Yeah, the weather tends toward the cool side, but it's not extreme like the plains. It's just cool/cold a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
That's true. City population can be helpful to determine whether the city is vibrant or not. I dislike it when the population are constantly leaving for the suburbs causing the inner city to decline.
Well, with some of the cities, they were just never very big land area wise. Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are still gaining population (although there was a point when they both were declining), and they have many dense inner ring suburbs.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Milwaukee, the Twin Cities, Chicago.
Chicago would be a bit much for this rural-longing person, but it is the biggest and baddest of Midwestern cities. It's almost unfair to include it on such a list.
Kansas City isn't too shabby. Someone mentioned Johnson County. Don't be fooled. Its job "growth" largely comes from luring existing companies from just across the state line. Nothing to write home about.
Milwaukee is a sleeper. Better than people may think. Downside is, the locals can't figure out why you'd move here. Yeah, the weather tends toward the cool side, but it's not extreme like the plains. It's just cool/cold a lot.
The climate, natural landscape, outdoors activities are far superior in the Great Lakes states than anywhere in Kansas or Missouri. I am a lakes person and I enjoy going up north where I have enough trails to sink a ship and few people. Why go to Canada when you can go to Vilas county or the UP of Michigan? It's great up there.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 AM

94 posts, read 160,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Well, with some of the cities, they were just never very big land area wise. Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are still gaining population (although there was a point when they both were declining), and they have many dense inner ring suburbs.
I did notice that both Minneapolis and St. Paul are gaining in population. However, the gain is very small compared to other cities in the Midwest, especially Indianapolis with the biggest gain.

I think the weather has alot to do with slow growth in the Twin Cities. Not everyone is willing to move to a city where the climate is much colder.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland....stick to the classics.

(I've never been to Minnesota or Wisconsin to judge their cities, which I'm sure may change my mind).

Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland....stick to the classics.

(I've never been to Minnesota or Wisconsin to judge their cities, which I'm sure may change my mind).
The Classic declining Rustbelt City?
Or the shining sunbelt like city of Indianapolis?
Hmmm decisions.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
The Classic declining Rustbelt City?
Or the shining sunbelt like city of Indianapolis?
Hmmm decisions.
Indianapolis is a sprawling, cultureless, incredibly boring city. You're right about the Sunbelt factor....it's Phoenix minus the warm weather.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The climate, natural landscape, outdoors activities are far superior in the Great Lakes states than anywhere in Kansas or Missouri. I am a lakes person and I enjoy going up north where I have enough trails to sink a ship and few people. Why go to Canada when you can go to Vilas county or the UP of Michigan? It's great up there.
I'm of the opposite opinion. The main thing I would despise about living in the great lake states is the climate. I'll keep my hot, humid bootheel summers as long as I can also keep my relatively mild winters.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
I did notice that both Minneapolis and St. Paul are gaining in population. However, the gain is very small compared to other cities in the Midwest, especially Indianapolis with the biggest gain.

I think the weather has alot to do with slow growth in the Twin Cities. Not everyone is willing to move to a city where the climate is much colder.
You're clearly talking about the last Census, and only for the core cities. Remember, the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are roughly 50 sq. miles in land area and cannot expand. Indianapolis gobbles up land through annexation and therefore "grows" census to census, but much of Indy's 350+ sq. miles is actually quite suburban in nature as a result. However, there are 12,000+ multi-family units either approved or under construction in the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul right now, so I expect both city centers to show population growth by the next Census poll.

A better indication of regional growth is by metropolitan area, and currently (2010 and 2011) the Twin Cities are growing at the same clip as Indy, KC or Columbus.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Indianapolis is a sprawling, cultureless, incredibly boring city.
The only people I ever hear say this, are people that have not spent much, if any, time in Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.