Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

Just about anywhere in the Southwest or Southern Plains would be a massive culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 135,310 times
Default Prepay in the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I am pretty sure that the entire East coast from Virginia to Maine is pre pay. I haven't pumped first since I was in high school and that was over 20 years ago.
I haven't seen any gas stations that did not require prepay in the South from Virginia to Mississippi. Although it was not long ago that you didn't have to prepay for gas. There are still stickers at the gas stations that say if you don't pay for your gas then you will lose your license, so there could still be places that don't require prepay in these states.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Be ready for a drastic drop in Dunkin Donuts/sq mile like less than 40

Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Just about anywhere in the Southwest or Southern Plains would be a massive culture shock.
I love the Southwest and the Southern Plains.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
They have culture shock because movies and TV don't portray them realistically and because they don't travel enough outside of the big cities.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I love the Southwest and the Southern Plains.
Are you from New England?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Are you from New England?
Yes, believe it or not, I am from New England, as I was born and raised in Rhode Island.

However, I'm not a New Englander at heart and never have been. I am a conservative, pro-Second Amendment registered Republican. I'm educated, hard-working, well-paid, outdoorsy, and well-traveled. I was raised a Roman Catholic, but deserted the Catholic Church years ago. I am now a practicing non-denominational Christian. I speak with a very rhotic General American accent and am very outgoing, often striking up conversations with complete strangers multiple times during the course of a day. I know all of my neighbors' names and am quite good friends with most of them.

I do not miss living in New England one bit and will never live there again. I love hot weather, suburban sprawl, chain restaurants, and wide open spaces. I despise snow and seemingly never-ending winters marked by consistently gray skies and very chilly weather. I also don't care about living in a place four distinct seasons, an abundance of fall foliage, and lots of trees and greenery abound. In fact, I'd rather live in a place without these attributes. I dislike pretentiousness, aloofness, and reservedness: Three common characteristics of New Englanders.

My friend, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone like me who's also from New England.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Yes, believe it or not, I am from New England, as I was born and raised in Rhode Island.

However, I'm not a New Englander at heart and never have been. I am a conservative, pro-Second Amendment registered Republican. I'm educated, hard-working, well-paid, outdoorsy, and well-traveled. I was raised a Roman Catholic, but deserted the Catholic Church years ago. I am now a practicing non-denominational Christian. I speak with a very rhotic General American accent and am very outgoing, often striking up conversations with complete strangers multiple times during the course of a day. I know all of my neighbors' names and am quite good friends with most of them.

I do not miss living in New England one bit and will never live there again. I love hot weather, suburban sprawl, chain restaurants, and wide open spaces. I despise snow and seemingly never-ending winters marked by consistently gray skies and very chilly weather. I also don't care about living in a place four distinct seasons, an abundance of fall foliage, and lots of trees and greenery abound. In fact, I'd rather live in a place without these attributes. I dislike pretentiousness, aloofness, and reservedness: Three common characteristics of New Englanders.

My friend, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone like me who's also from New England.
I doubt that there are 15,000,000 of us.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:

I'm from New England right across the RI state line in Attleboro, Mass. I'm very outgoing also. I do agree you would be hard pressed, to find someone like you from New England. I have to disagree with much of what you said though. Most of us in the Greater Providence area be it RI or Mass, are not pretentious, aloof or reserved. Yes there is some of that there. It also exists right here in Arizona also. In fact it exists alot in the Phoenix area. Especially Scottsdale. Most in New England outside of the higher income areas, are generations of families or immigrants. People that work hard, many that work 2 jobs because of the high cost of living. I just never understood why people associate the traits you described, as dominant traits to New England. I see what you describe all over America. Many New Englanders are very friendly caring people that know their neighbors. Many thru generations.

So I'm glad that you like where you live now.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM

177 posts, read 430,978 times
Ohio. New Englanders (and other Northeasterners) I've met have been quite shocked to come and realise how Northeastern the state truly feels. Of which it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.