Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlol View Post
If you are an American over the age of 12 and still get a culture shock traveling to other parts of the country, you probably didn't know much about our country to begin with.

If you have "culture shock" traveling within the states, try going to Pakistan, Iraq, Mongolia, North Korea, Nigeria, or something. You might have a heart attack. No wonder people say Americans are ignorant.
+1

Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM

279 posts, read 461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlol View Post
If you are an American over the age of 12 and still get a culture shock traveling to other parts of the country, you probably didn't know much about our country to begin with.

If you have "culture shock" traveling within the states, try going to Pakistan, Iraq, Mongolia, North Korea, Nigeria, or something. You might have a heart attack. No wonder people say Americans are ignorant.

I hate when people make this argument, and I have immigrant parents and have traveled overseas before. The U.S. covers a swath of land very few other countries can rival. I've lived in different parts of the country, it's different and one is completely capable of getting culture shock. You think it's ridiculous for someone from rural Mississippi, Kentucky, or West Virginia if they venture to San Francisco during Pride Week? Or if a North Dakotan spent a year living in Miami?

Snarky comments like this are nothing more than your ridiculous attempt to let everyone how well-traveled you think you are. You're not being profound or insightful; you're just being a snob.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
I hate when people make this argument, and I have immigrant parents and have traveled overseas before. The U.S. covers a swath of land very few other countries can rival. I've lived in different parts of the country, it's different and one is completely capable of getting culture shock. You think it's ridiculous for someone from rural Mississippi, Kentucky, or West Virginia if they venture to San Francisco during Pride Week? Or if a North Dakotan spent a year living in Miami?

Snarky comments like this are nothing more than your ridiculous attempt to let everyone how well-traveled you think you are. You're not being profound or insightful; you're just being a snob.
I don't think it's about being well-traveled at all. It's about being educated on the numerous cultures of your own nation; something Americans are notoriously bad at. I've met people from England who knew more about my city than people from right here in the US. That's ridiculous.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:25 AM

375 posts, read 799,954 times
For a new englander, the only places that might be a culture shock might be the south, the rural west (Wyoming, rural Colorado, Rural Southwest), and hawaii. Honestly, even in conservative Nebraska a New Englander isn't going to be shocked by our culture. Just bored

Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't think it's about being well-traveled at all. It's about being educated on the numerous cultures of your own nation; something Americans are notoriously bad at. I've met people from England who knew more about my city than people from right here in the US. That's ridiculous.
But I think just knowing about a city on paper is very different than experiencing it in person and that's where a bit of culture shock can come into play.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
The thing that many New Englanders find odd is the slower pace of many other areas of the country. It can feel like they don't care or don't try hard enough to get things done. I can understand in places like the islands the pace is slow and easy but the Midwest or California, it's hard to be patient with slow chit-chat and valley speak, especially when you are waiting in line and the cashier is moving at a snail's pace.

My friend who moved to the Midwest from MA thought the people were very kind and friendly but that they did not have the work ethic or ambition that she believed in and she ended up moving back east. New Englanders can be great people but they could definitely loosen up a bit and be friendlier and more open to strangers.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But I think just knowing about a city on paper is very different than experiencing it in person and that's where a bit of culture shock can come into play.
True, but taking the time to educate yourself about a place can soften the blow. I can't say that I felt any real shock my first time in New York City. I understood that I was in a completely different setting than where I came from, but I never got this overwhelming feeling of being in a "different world". The only thing that shocked me was how easy it was to get used to the place.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My friend who moved to the Midwest from MA thought the people were very kind and friendly but that they did not have the work ethic or ambition that she believed in and she ended up moving back east. New Englanders can be great people but they could definitely loosen up a bit and be friendlier and more open to strangers.
How silly. I know many Bostonians who moved to Cincinnati to work at GE. Nearly all of them preferred Cincinnati over Boston (mainly due to the lower COL).

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
True, but taking the time to educate yourself about a place can soften the blow. I can't say that I felt any real shock my first time in New York City. I understood that I was in a completely different setting than where I came from, but I never got this overwhelming feeling of being in a "different world". The only thing that shocked me was how easy it was to get used to the place.
But consider where you're coming from--Houston, a large, diverse city, and NYC is a larger, more diverse city. But I can easily, easily, EASILY see someone from the rural South who doesn't have much experience with larger cities who could very well experience culture shock. When I first visited LA, it seemed like I was in a different country many times, although I had general knowledge of LA.

I mean you can be from Marshall, TX and read that NYC has a population density of 27,500 people per square mile and that tons of languages are spoken there, but it really doesn't mean a whole lot until you actually experience it in person. It can make your head spin.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
For a new englander, the only places that might be a culture shock might be the south, the rural west (Wyoming, rural Colorado, Rural Southwest), and hawaii. Honestly, even in conservative Nebraska a New Englander isn't going to be shocked by our culture. Just bored
I'm a New Englander in the Southwest. There is alarming poverty on the Navajo Res that would make anyone that's driven through it ponder their condition. Shocking? No. With what little they have many seem to be making their way to Wal-Mart in Gallup, NM to partake in the same consumer routines as the patrons of the Wal-Mart in Hilo, HI or Bangor, ME are with surrounding roads including the same Subway/Wendy's fast food element. A drive up to the rural parts in deep Maine would have the same double wide homes that are found in Raton, NM.

I am sure the streets of Mogadishu would give me a big culture shock though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.