Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
"Why is it called a creek or river if there's no water in it?"

"Were those Mexican people gangsters?"

"What do you do when it's hot out?"

"Is it hard living in such a red state?"
The first one and the third one make sense. The other two are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:

A creek without water is a gully, why the heck would you call something a river if it has no water, thats dumb, Not the question.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:

During certain times of year or when it rains the creek flows. The river used to flow all year before they dammed it to make reservoirs.

Usually no, they just dress different.

We just do what you normally do, what else can you do?

Almost 50% of the voters in AZ voted for Romney, big deal. Life in Central PHX goes on. Many people in PHX and Tucson are liberal, progressive, or whatever, it's just like anywhere USA when it comes to everyday life.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
A creek without water is a gully, why the heck would you call something a river if it has no water, thats dumb, Not the question.
Never heard of a gully. Must be a non-northeastern thing.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
You should add Maryland/D.C. to your list, because that area acts more East Coast than American.
East Coast is American.....

Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I seriously have considered living in the South. One of my choices would be Raleigh, NC maybe. I thought it was a very nice area, although half of the people had southern accents, which is something I'd have to get used to, since NO ONE in New England has that accent. My real concern is what southerners would think of me. Would THEY be bothered by someone who doesn't have the southern accent? Would they not care to make friends with me?
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Have you ever spent ANY time in the South?! How OLD are you?! Your attitude is both ignorant and childish!

BTW -- I got FIVE (5!) positive rep comments from my earlier post calling you out for the idiocy of this thread.
That confirms that my viewpoint is correct, and you ... are ... just ... out there.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Have you ever spent ANY time in the South?! How OLD are you?! Your attitude is both ignorant and childish!

BTW -- I got FIVE (5!) positive rep comments from my earlier post calling you out for the idiocy of this thread.
That confirms that my viewpoint is correct, and you ... are ... just ... out there.

Thats really not necessary to say that. You may think that, but what good does it do to post it here. None of us know the people that post on citydata, or the internet for that matter. We don't know thier backround, there physical or mental condition. We don't know thier ages. We don't know thier economic status or educational level. Its become far to acceptable to place judgement on people, and be rude and mouth off to total strangers on the Net. There are probably people on here that have little contact with other people. They use the internet as a way to connect with others, maybe in the only way they know how. So sometimes its best to keep our feelings to ourself, and just give whatever info we have on the subject asked.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thats really not necessary to say that. You may think that, but what good does it do to post it here. None of us know the people that post on citydata, or the internet for that matter. We don't know thier backround, there physical or mental condition. We don't know thier ages. We don't know thier economic status or educational level. Its become far to acceptable to place judgement on people, and be rude and mouth off to total strangers on the Net. There are probably people on here that have little contact with other people. They use the internet as a way to connect with others, maybe in the only way they know how. So sometimes its best to keep our feelings to ourself, and just give whatever info we have on the subject asked.
Anyone who fears that Southerners would not "accept them" because of their accent is an ignorant fool living under a rock! Seriously? Really?! Gimme a break!

This thread is ridiculous ... the OP is completely uneducated and / or untraveled.

I'm simply amazed that people in the United States still harbor this kind of ignorance in this day and time.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
"It is extremely white".... What are you talking about?! You realize NM is one of only 4 states with a non-white majority right? Abq is only 42% white.
To be clear, I specified that I found Albuquerque to be extremely White, and at 42%, Albuquerque is way Whiter than the place I grew up in in New York which is about 12% White and most of that is very ethnic Italian-Americans. Much more Baked Ziti and Cannolis than Hot Dogs and Apple Pie, and that surrounded by a plurality of Jamaicans, Brazilians, Puerto Ricans and American Blacks. So yeah, I thought (and still think) of Albuquerque as being very middle-America, middle-class 'White' by comparison.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
There's also the appearance of a place. To a New Englander who is used to green hills, small towns, some mountains, woods, seeing a place like LA is really a shock. LA is dry and if there is any grass, it's brown, the hills are brown and dry and ugly compared to the gentle New England landscape.

The OP is from a town that is largely Italian so that enters into his idea of shock. Other New Englanders who are not Italian, feel more at home in places where the people eat apple pie and meat and potatoes.

I start to feel that I'm in the south when I'm in Maryland. It's a beautiful state and in appearance, it reminds me of New England but then I see huge horse farms and architecture that looks different and I hear the different accent.

From what most people have told me, New Englanders feel most at home in the Pacific Northwest and would prefer to live there if they didn't have family back here. (better climate, friendlier people.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.