Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Virtual travelling these United States again reading about the experiences of folks who move to different cities.

So, I have a question... there seem to be some places that have a reputation of wanting no more people moving there. Seattle comes to mind as well as Portland? Sometimes a town or city becomes popular and hordes of folks start turning up bringing stuff they complained about in their original place with them, as well as driving the prices up, contributing to traffic etc. etc.
However, some places seem to promote themselves as a place to move to and want more population. I saw a promotional video for Morgantown West Virginia for instance.

So what cities and towns WANT more growth? Especially where the locals are in agreement and welcoming to newcomers?
Sometimes I even read posts by City Data members that sound like they work for their chamber of commerce! It's pretty cool though to read when someone loves where they live so much, it's contagious, and I want to go visit!

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi there!
Virtual travelling these United States again reading about the experiences of folks who move to different cities.

So, I have a question... there seem to be some places that have a reputation of wanting no more people moving there. Seattle comes to mind as well as Portland? Sometimes a town or city becomes popular and hordes of folks start turning up bringing stuff they complained about in their original place with them, as well as driving the prices up, contributing to traffic etc. etc.
However, some places seem to promote themselves as a place to move to and want more population. I saw a promotional video for Morgantown West Virginia for instance.

So what cities and towns WANT more growth? Especially where the locals are in agreement and welcoming to newcomers?
Sometimes I even read posts by City Data members that sound like they work for their chamber of commerce! It's pretty cool though to read when someone loves where they live so much, it's contagious, and I want to go visit!

Thanks for any replies!
Most places want to see growth. Portland, Seattle, and Austin are the media darlings right now and have really marketed themselves well to young people as the hippest cities in the country. Other cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, DFW, Houston, Raleigh-Durham, and Nashville are also very popular for transplants, especially professionals with families. Oklahoma City is really trying to improve itself and market itself to transplants and its starting to show, though many people from other parts of the country haven't let go of stereotypes.

As far as places that don't want growth, I would say small cities like Little Rock. I never lived in a place with as many NIMBY's concerning new development and anti-transplant attitude as in Little Rock.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Cities like Omaha and Philadelphia come to mind. Omaha is growing yet under the radar and Philly is seemingly desperate to get people to like it half as much as the other cities in the Boston-Washington corridor. Other "please look at us" cities I can think of are Indianapolis and San Antonio...which sit in shadows of larger, more polished cities in their respective regions.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cities like Omaha and Philadelphia come to mind. Omaha is growing yet under the radar and Philly is seemingly desperate to get people to like it half as much as the other cities in the Boston-Washington corridor. Other "please look at us" cities I can think of are Indianapolis and San Antonio...which sit in shadows of larger, more polished cities in their respective regions.
Well lucky for Indy is we host some of the worlds largest sporting events annually and some other events semi-regularly.
off the top of my head:
The Indianapolis 500. 400,000 people
Brickyard 400. 200,000 people total. Super weekend is near 250,000
The Red Bull Indianapolis GP 150,000
Gen Con The best 4 days in Gaming. 40-50,000 and growing.
NCAA womens and mens final fours every 5 years as part of a long term agreement with the NCAA. Which btw is headquartered in Indianapolis.
The Indianapolis colts football games.
The Pacers.
Big Ten national championship which was held yesterday in Lucas Oil Stadium.
Super Bowl XLVI *46* which was regarded as one of the best Super Bowls ever. google Indianapolis hosting Super Bowl 46 and see all the rave reviews for yourself. over 110 million people saw videos of Indianapolis and over 150,000 people attended Downtown Indianapolis over the 10 days that drove from 50 miles or more.
The Indiana State Fair
The Indianapolis Monumental Marathon which this year replaced the New York City marathon due to it being cancled. many runners swiched over to Indy because of Hurricane Sandy which is a bonus it also qualifies for the Boston Marathon.
The Circle of Lights which brings over 100,000 people to Monument Circle complete with music/shops and dancing and fireworks at the end after lighting the Circle.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Certainly the Rust Belt cities like Detroit that have lost so much population over last few decades.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Certainly the Rust Belt cities like Detroit that have lost so much population over last few decades.
Yup, Detroit immediately came to mind for me. I would think they're scraping for anything they can get lol.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yup, Detroit immediately came to mind for me. I would think they're scraping for anything they can get lol.
I agree also.
Also will be interesting to watch the Colts VS Lions game today.
lets send Detroit and its dirtiness packing

Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I agree also.
Also will be interesting to watch the Colts VS Lions game today.
lets send Detroit and its dirtiness packing
Ouch man. That hurt in the gut. Like a foot to the groin.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM

432 posts, read 610,106 times
Quote:
Hmm that makes perfect sense for being the second biggest city on the EC and the 5th in the country. Another Philly hater bites the dust.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
You constantly state Philadelphia to be provincial and not welcome to newcomers, now you say it is desperate for them.
You just don't know what to think about your former home, so long as you get your dig in. And it sure seems you think about Philly often.

Anyway, I'd think all the sunbelt cities would want to keep up the growth they've become accustomed to the last decade. Cities that are very transient in nature don't seem to mind the explosive growth.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-02-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.