Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Isolated, secluded, steeped in history and rich in tradition -- these counties are the least populated and most isolated Places in America, according to the latest United States Census Bureau estimates. The people who live in these isolated places enjoy a lifestyle and individual freedoms that many thought had long since vanished in the United States.

America Loneliest Least Populated Secluded Counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I've been in all of them at least twice (except Kalawao). They would be great places to live, but you'd need a car. No bus stops and no grocery stores.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Expected to see some Nevada counties on that list....

When you're in Reno you'll see a sign on hwy 80 for Elko which is 4 hours away and has just over 18,000 people. That should tell you right there how unpopulated much of Nevada is.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Isolated, secluded, steeped in history and rich in tradition -- these counties are the least populated and most isolated Places in America, according to the latest United States Census Bureau estimates. The people who live in these isolated places enjoy a lifestyle and individual freedoms that many thought had long since vanished in the United States.

America Loneliest Least Populated Secluded Counties
Nice places to visit, but I wouldn't live in any of them. Far too remote even for most people that like living in rural areas...

Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
I saw a CNN story about King County, TX and how it gave Obama the lowest share of any county in the US. Some of the residents were interviewed at a high school basketball game. But the thing is, the county's population is only 286. How is that enough people for a high school, let alone any public school? Do the counties in that region consolidate and form a school system that way?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Why on earth would anyone want to seclude themselves by living in a community such as the ones named in the OP?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I saw a CNN story about King County, TX . But the thing is, the county's population is only 286. How is that enough people for a high school, let alone any public school? Do the counties in that region consolidate and form a school system that way?
Students in the Big Bend area of West Texas used to be bussed 179 miles (round trip) daily to school -- not counting additional miles on dirt roads to their ranches
End Near for 179-Mile Bus Trip to High School - NYTimes.com

Students in the "Northwest Angle" enclave of Minnesota have a 130 mile daily round trip thru Canada to school in Warroad, MN

Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

510 posts, read 889,111 times
I was expecting to see Alaska on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to seclude themselves by living in a community such as the ones named in the OP?
Usually because the area allows for a desirable lifestyle for some. There are still people that don't live according to the ways that corporate American homogenization would like. I used to live on the border of Kenedy County Texas on that list. You can still live on some acreage and have your horses and cattle, shoot guns in your yard, grow food, hunt and fish, pretty much be left alone and do whatever. To me, I usually wonder why people like being stacked on top of one another like a pet store, removed from nature and where food originates. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Expected to see some Nevada counties on that list....

When you're in Reno you'll see a sign on hwy 80 for Elko which is 4 hours away and has just over 18,000 people. That should tell you right there how unpopulated much of Nevada is.
It was close, but Nevada's least populated county is Esmeralda with a population of 971. The most populated county on that list is Slope County, SD. Population 713

Clark County - Population 1.9m
Nevada population - 2.7m

So basically 2/3 of Nevada live in that one county. That's crazy, but not unexpected.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
???

The area of Alaska I live in isn't even organized into counties (or boroughs as we call them here). And the state only gets more remote from here, as you leave the road system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.