Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
According to this, Missouri is above the national average in percentage of population with a high school degree:

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri is slightly below the national average for having population with a bachelor degree. But when you compare Missouri to, I don't know, some random midwestern state such as Wisconsin, the difference is hardly statistically significant: 25.7 for Wisconsin, 25.2 for Missouri. Missouri is higher than several core midwestern states, including Iowa (surprisingly), Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

And while Missouri is again slightly below the national average for percentage of population with a graduate degree, it is significantly higher in that regard than, say, I don't know, Wisconsin, with Missouri at 9.5% and Wisconsin at 8.4%. Missouri also ranks higher in this regard than a number of other core midwestern states in addition to Wisconsin, including Iowa, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

If one is looking at the midwest region, which we were, it is hard to say Missouri is below average in educational attainment compared to other core midwestern states. Again, the midwest states that really jump out above average here are states like Minnesota that are less densely populated, are more ethnically homogeneous and have fairly low, relative to the other states in the midwest, minority populations. I'm actually curious why Wisconsin doesn't rank higher.

And Missouri has a fairly high percentage of population with a graduate degree relative to our other midwestern states - presumably due to two fairly large metro areas.
I live in Madison,WI, Dane County, and the area has a much higher level of educational attainment. The numbers for WI overall are somewhat less due to Milwaukee County weighing down the numbers... Minnesota has the best overall educational attainment rankings in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
1. Ohio - Great big cities, though this state is the least Midwest, in my opinion. It's more a confluence of Midwest, Northeast and even South. It has little in common with South Dakota and Kansas.
2. Wisconsin - Madison and the lake
3. Minnesota - the wilderness and MSP
4. Illinois - Chicago and that's all.
5. Iowa - underrated and scenic

I'm indifferent toward Missouri. Michigan's northern scenery is nice; Detroit is putrid. I wouldn't want to live in Indiana.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-10-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
According to this, Missouri is above the national average in percentage of population with a high school degree:

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri is slightly below the national average for having population with a bachelor degree. But when you compare Missouri to, I don't know, some random midwestern state such as Wisconsin, the difference is hardly statistically significant: 25.7 for Wisconsin, 25.2 for Missouri. Missouri is higher than several core midwestern states, including Iowa (surprisingly), Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

And while Missouri is again slightly below the national average for percentage of population with a graduate degree, it is significantly higher in that regard than, say, I don't know, Wisconsin, with Missouri at 9.5% and Wisconsin at 8.4%. Missouri also ranks higher in this regard than a number of other core midwestern states in addition to Wisconsin, including Iowa, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

If one is looking at the midwest region, which we were, it is hard to say Missouri is below average in educational attainment compared to other core midwestern states. Again, the midwest states that really jump out above average here are states like Minnesota that are less densely populated, are more ethnically homogeneous and have fairly low, relative to the other states in the midwest, minority populations. I'm actually curious why Wisconsin doesn't rank higher.

And Missouri has a fairly high percentage of population with a graduate degree relative to our other midwestern states - presumably due to two fairly large metro areas.
And Missouri's two large metro areas COMBINED still are not large than Detroit metro or Chicago metro. And Ohio has SEVERAL large metro areas:

Cleveland - 2,068,283
Columbus - 1,858,464
Cincinnati - 2,138,038
Toledo - 651,429
Dayton - 841,502

A lot more large metro areas than Missouri has.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And Missouri's two large metro areas COMBINED still are not large than Detroit metro or Chicago metro. And Ohio has SEVERAL large metro areas:

Cleveland - 2,068,283
Columbus - 1,858,464
Cincinnati - 2,138,038
Toledo - 651,429
Dayton - 841,502

Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
1. Ohio - Great big cities, though this state is the least Midwest, in my opinion. It's more a confluence of Midwest, Northeast and even South. It has little in common with South Dakota and Kansas.
2. Wisconsin - Madison and the lake
3. Minnesota - the wilderness and MSP
4. Illinois - Chicago and that's all.
5. Iowa - underrated and scenic

I'm indifferent toward Missouri. Michigan's northern scenery is nice; Detroit is putrid. I wouldn't want to live in Indiana.
Ohio has very little in common with the Northeast, save the westernmost extensions of Pennsylvania and New York, which themselves are more like the Midwest than the Northeast.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
With the exception of where I live:

1. South Dakota - unbelievable landscapes!
2. Illinois - the great Chicago with my favorite beach on the Indiana side (and I do like other parts of the state like Galena)
3. Kansas - home state, quintessentially Midwestern, crazy in terms of both weather and politics
4. Michigan - Great beaches
5. Minnesota - seems to be the healthiest

Nebraska and Iowa as an honorable mention. Missouri also has a lot of character. Though the Ozarks scared me as a child... There really isn't a state I don't like.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 02-12-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
With the exception of where I live:

1. South Dakota - unbelievable landscapes!
2. Illinois - the great Chicago with my favorite beach on the Indiana side (and I do like other parts of the state like Galena)
3. Kansas - home state, quintessentially Midwestern, crazy in terms of both weather and politics
4. Michigan - Great beaches
5. Minnesota - seems to be the healthiest

Nebraska and Iowa as an honorable mention. Missouri also has a lot of character. Though the Ozarks scared me as a child... There really isn't a state I don't like.
Agree with you on Kansas. I grew up there and have no intention of returning. The inmates are running the assylum there and the politics are ruining most things.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agree with you on Kansas. I grew up there and have no intention of returning. The inmates are running the assylum there and the politics are ruining most things.
And yet it is still my favorite state. Like I said, it's home.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Cleveland - 2,068,283
Columbus - 1,858,464
Cincinnati - 2,138,038
Toledo - 651,429
Dayton - 841,502

No argument on Chicago, but Detroit?

Detroit MSA: 4,285,832
St. Louis MSA: 2,817,355
Kansas City MSA: 2,052,676

STL + KC = 4,870,031 Seems bigger to me...

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:

That's a cute little theory, but....no, just no. Minnesota and Missouri have almost identical non-Hispanic white populations (86.9% vs. 86.5%). Minnesota has higher Hispanic and Asian-American populations, and the Twin Cities metro area has significantly more foreign-born residents than either St. Louis or KC....so I'm guessing the state as a whole probably does, too?

The only reason you even bring that up is, presumably, some insecurities about MO's schools? The answer is way, way, way less convoluted than ethnic homogeneity. The answer is that MN funds its schools effectively, and MO doesn't.

Sorry. Grab a consolation prize, and please come back and play again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.