Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times

Advertisements

If you want to be a Boss, you got for the boss things such as Expensive cars and said McMansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Living alone in a 2700 sq foot home though? It's your choice, and I'm not criticizing you, but personally I wouldn't know what to do with all that space.
I like my space and I honestly don't think that my house is that big compared to many down here. But all my rooms are filled, empty space is not something you'll find in my house. The one room that I can have in a larger home than I could in say a condo, is my office! I LOVE my office and since having one, I could never imagine having a small home without it!

Do I honestly NEED 2700 sq ft? No, but I enjoy having my space as I'm a bit claustrophobic. But then again do people NEED to take lavish vacations? No. Do people NEED to eat at fancy restaurants? No.

There is a large difference between wants and needs but I feel as long as one can afford to indulge in their wants, I see no reason for them not to. You only live once you know.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
That's why I lived in a garage and in cars for several years while I saved enough money to move to a place where I could buy a cheap place. At least my trailer is paid for !!!
God is it nice to not owe any money to a bank !!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Do I honestly NEED 2700 sq ft? No, but I enjoy having my space as I'm a bit claustrophobic. But then again do people NEED to take lavish vacations? No. Do people NEED to eat at fancy restaurants? No.

There is a large difference between wants and needs but I feel as long as one can afford to indulge in their wants, I see no reason for them not to. You only live once you know.
Well, having office space is a big plus, but you are a special case. Most Americans don't work out of their own homes.

I like to take lavish vacations and eat out at fancy restaurants, but those are all short-term things whereas owning a home is long-term.

To each their own: you get claustrophobic, but I would get pretty lonely by myself in a large home. I would definately need roommates.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
No, people don't necessarily need big-a$$ McMansions out in the middle of nowhere; it's moreso a reflection of wealth.

People simply like to live in these huge cribs (myself included) because they make a statement: "I can afford to live out here in this new, large house even though I don't need the space".

I will admit though, having a bigger home does make me feel like I'm more "powerful"
If I had the money, I would like to live in an upscale downtown neighborhood in the city. McMansions are a reflection of wealth, but they are not the only reflection.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
If I had the money, I would like to live in an upscale downtown neighborhood in the city. McMansions are a reflection of wealth, but they are not the only reflection.
Where did I say that they were the only reflection? I was simply addressing the topic of the thread.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:22 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Since I grew up in a house that was barley 900 sq feet with 5 other people, I would have to say no, but that is just my opinion. I didn't grow up with alot so to be honest I am just happy to have what I have today. My house is 1750 sq feet which in comparison to the house I grew up in it is huge. I was raised to be very frugal, and to want what I need, not to need what I want. I still live by those rules today, or at lease I try to.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Buy it if you can afford it and you want it. If you are trying to impress someone spending dimes you don't have, then it's kinda problemmatic.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
No. McMansions are the multi-family homes of the next decade once people get tired of paying $800 monthly utility bills.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

55 posts, read 194,664 times
Quote:
4 girls in one 12 x 12 bedroom... kids today would be horrified!
We have 4 of our younger boys in one room, 3 teenage boys in a smaller one, and the two lone girls in the smallest bedroom. My ideal would be to have 2 kids in a room. Since dh works from home (his mini office is in our bedroom) it would be nice to have a room for him also. I saw an 8 bedroom house in MI on a popular realtor website so I know they are out there. We just need to get our house sold. Lowered the price again this weekend. The market is so slooooow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.