Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,207,526 times

Advertisements

Yeah i hate those shows too. I think jersey shore also pokes a little too much fun out of new jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
I think that's what I dislike about the show "Portlandia" so much. It makes Portland look like we are all hipsters. Of course that's ridiculous. But it makes good TV and it makes the producers and writers lots of money. I would like them to show the many other neighborhoods here. People who think that the show depicts all of Portland would be very surprised. Sure there are neighborhoods like the ones on TV but only a few.

Regarding Southerners, I have known a couple of rednecks but the majority I have met have both in the South and from the South have not been rednecks. Nor have people from other parts of the country always fit the stereotypes either.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,767,333 times
I'm so old, I can remember when reality TV was reality based.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 AM

37,741 posts, read 40,796,799 times
Because everyone is politically correct, they have to find groups of white people to make fun of without worrying about the mouthpieces for other groups protesting what they call entertainment.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,927,002 times
King of the Hill. I feel like it doesn't poke fun at the South. But I love that show

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,223,662 times
I don't like those shows because I just don't find them entertaining. But I also don't like how it contributes to the elitism the north often shows the south.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,888,856 times
The worst part of Jersey Shore was that more than half its cast were New Yorkers… Snooki, Jwoww, Mike "The Situation", Angelina from the early seasons, and Vinny were all from either upstate, the city or Long Island. Sammy was the only original from NJ, then Deena joined in and she was from NJ, too, but that's 4 main cast members to two, one of who came in halfway, who were actually from NY and not NJ.

But it was supposed to represent New Jersey and our shore culture, which is actually what we are most proud of, I would say. What a joke. It's also ironic that Snooki, a New Yorker, is the most famous Jersey Shore cast member who has gone onto other things making her millions. She got famous by being a complete mess in our state, ruining the name of one of our beach towns. She should be so proud. So should Poughkeepsie, her home city.

Buckwild was a little interesting but equally ridiculous and I don't even want to get into the train wreck that is Honey Boo Boo and her family, real or not. That is not in any way, shape, or form a lifestyle that I want to live or watch. Yuck.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
A show just came out about my area called "Long Island Princesses." It really doesnt portray LIers in a good light at all- but- I think if you are not such a closed-minded person, then you wont stereotype a group of people based on what you saw on reality TV. I'm open minded enough to not judge southerners based on "Honey Boo Boo" so I have faith that enough people wont judge LIers by "LI Princesses." I assure you we are not all rich people who live with mom and dad and drive mercedes and have everything handed to us.

Something to keep in mind too- a lot of reality TV is actually staged and not real at all. To a certain extent, it is still acting.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They make fun of Southerners/Jersey Shore types, alright, not just those specific people. Just because they don't mind being made fun of/or can't see it, doesn't mean a whole group should bear the consequences.
Well, there's a difference, since the people in the Jersey Shore show are not actually people from the Jersey Shore.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The worst part of Jersey Shore was that more than half its cast were New Yorkers… Snooki, Jwoww, Mike "The Situation", Angelina from the early seasons, and Vinny were all from either upstate, the city or Long Island. Sammy was the only original from NJ, then Deena joined in and she was from NJ, too, but that's 4 main cast members to two, one of who came in halfway, who were actually from NY and not NJ.

But it was supposed to represent New Jersey and our shore culture, which is actually what we are most proud of, I would say. What a joke. It's also ironic that Snooki, a New Yorker, is the most famous Jersey Shore cast member who has gone onto other things making her millions. She got famous by being a complete mess in our state, ruining the name of one of our beach towns. She should be so proud. So should Poughkeepsie, her home city.

Buckwild was a little interesting but equally ridiculous and I don't even want to get into the train wreck that is Honey Boo Boo and her family, real or not. That is not in any way, shape, or form a lifestyle that I want to live or watch. Yuck.
Oops, should have read this before I said the same thing.

But I do feel compelled to explain for people who aren't from here that "upstate" refers to New York State north of New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.