Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Why is this "flyover" term a bad thing? do we seriously wanna deal with people from the coast vacationing in middle-america? its already a pain dealing with people from Chicago....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
More than Chicago? Somehow, I doubt that.
Not in history books, but in terms of places people generally want to visit, or say they went to, Miami would kill Chicago.

Too bad there's never been a study done, "Places people like to say then went to".

I'd be willing to bet that list would include Miami.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Not in history books, but in terms of places people generally want to visit, or say they went to, Miami would kill Chicago.

Too bad there's never been a study done, "Places people like to say then went to".

I'd be willing to bet that list would include Miami.
Debatable. Miami has attractions that Chicago could never dream of, and vice versa. Difference is Chicago is much larger and has a lot more attractions that Miami cannot have due to its location and size.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Everything sans NYC and LA is flyover country.

Who really believes a place like Philly is accomplished and relevant enough when it cant even pull over 1M foreign visitors, foreign born pop, or have any significant industry, maintain air route connections with more than 1 foreign continent, be the center to any global industry (entertainment, tourism, fashion, tech, energy, etc), or impact on the world while still not being on the coast should get a free swing because its near NYC?

Flyover country is the less glamorized, less celebrity presence, weak show in fashion, entertainment, wealth, creative, VC, etc. Flyover country is everywhere that is not NYC, LA, Miami, SF Bay Area but at this point pacific northwest, Chicagoland, New England, Texas, Las Vegas, DC area, and Atlanta are all relevant enough to not be flyover and all those states or cities are on a salt water coastline (sans Chicago).

Flyover country is an outdated term anyway, to an average person anywhere in the US they live the same lifestyle as anyone else IMO. Only the top 10% live glamorously and they can be found in bits in every major city in the US but mostly LA, NYC, or Miami. IE, Dallas and SF Bay Area have more folks with a billion dollars than everywhere sans NYC and LA. Boston and Houston are richer (income) and their economies (GDP) are only surpassed by NYC, DC, SF Bay Area. LA and Chicago each have an economy over half a trillion and are two of the worlds leading cities. Miami, Las Vegas, Austin, and Atlanta have become desirable destinations for entertainment, music, fashion. DC area is the most educated and wealthy area in the US. Seattle is wealthier than everywhere sans NYC, DC, SF Bay Area, Boston, and Houston. Etc etc.

Last edited by scrantiX; 12-16-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Miami is an international party destination. Chicago is a diverse city (several different ethnicities found there), but overall - is a regional midwest destination.

In terms of business, Chicago is a more important city. Globally, more people would rather say they visited Miami. This has never been scientifically quantified so it could be wrong. There's no empirical data.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
You've never seen this famous cover from The New Yorker?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I like this Texas map

http://www.billyspostcards.com/media...1102120785.jpg

Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why is this "flyover" term a bad thing? do we seriously wanna deal with people from the coast vacationing in middle-america? its already a pain dealing with people from Chicago....
Chicago may be bad.
But i rather have tourism from them and they arent nearly as bad as the coasters.
Heck if i had to rank on a scale of 1-10 on how bad having a Chicagoan visit your city with 1 being not a big deal and 10 being a huge deal or the worse i would have to grade Chicagoans around a 3-4
New Yorkers and people on the coast easily grab a 8 or 9 or a 7 depending on the area.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Dont let it bother you cold lol
Youll find out when you move back up north to Indianapolis that alot of transplants in Indy came from the east or west coasts or the South.
These people like me were probably tired of the ignorance and the self-centeredness you find on the ignorant coasts.
So just ignore them and laugh at them.
As i always say living in a concrete jungle/wasteland like New York can do crazy things to you

Also i will add one major reason i refuse to donate money to disaster relief efforts of Hurricane Sandy/Irene is the east coasters like to trash talk the heartland then expect the heartland to feed and save their ass in their time of need? hahahhaha ya right.
Not to mention Taxes are already high enough so that should pay for any disaster recovery.
But of course, you merrily accept the donations the east coast sends when your trailer parks get flattened and scattered by tornadoes. And I didn't forget the classy lady from Indiana who said NY deserved 9/11 because it's nothing but a city full of sin.

So if you're going to stereotype everyone NY and NJ as trash-talking the heartland, maybe we should stereotype midwesterners as ignorant, hmm?

But, we don't, because a lot of good people from other states helped us out on 9/11 and again this year with the hurricane, and as a matter of fact, they haven't stopped. My friend works for a group that does tours, and some of the tours from the so-called flyover states have asked if they could volunteer to help and made arrangements to do so. Despite the glee of people like you when ordinary working folks in NJ lose their homes and belongings, there are many more who pick up shovels and brooms and get to work, and the recipients are grateful.

We can see through your high-and-mighty sense of superiority: You are just cheap. I'm not going to let one person form my opinion of all the people who live in the heartland, though.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-16-2012 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Back to the real topic: The only people who really call it "flyover country" would be people who actually fly between the coasts frequently, right? I thought it was a term coined by the entertainment industry, who would be the most likely to do that particular sort of traveling most frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.