Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Skiing is actually a 2 hour drive from Charlotte, though the caliber of skiing options in the southeastern US is not on par with the northeast, let alone the rocky mountain states. You'd go to Beech or Sugar Mtn to practice for the real ski trip out west.

Swimming was probably a poor choice to pit 3 landlocked states against a coastal state on though. It's a 3 hour drive to the beach from Charlotte. How many days does it take you to drive to the pacific from Utah or New Mexico? And even then, the beaches in SoCal are very cold. Whereas the southeastern US beaches are practically bathwater in the summer, and they're swimmable for much longer.

Different places have different types of beauty. I do think that the mountains, deserts, and canyons of UT, AZ, and NM are fantastic and put them in a different tier than NC, though I think there are areas in NC that are every bit as beautiful as what you can find in these western states. There's less diversity, but there's still enough to spend a lifetime exploring.
im talking in one hour. you can't do that anywhere besides cali, arizona, new mexico. these are definitely up there for most diverse state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
I'll respond by reigion. That's the only fair way to do this, otherwise the West would kill.

The West
1st place: California
2nd place: Washington
Honorable mention: Hawaii

The Midwest
1st place: Minnesota
2nd place: Michigan

The Northeast
1st place: New York
2nd place: Maryland

The South
1st place: Texas
2nd place: Virginia
Honorable mention: North Carolina

Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
im talking in one hour. you can't do that anywhere besides cali, arizona, new mexico. these are definitely up there for most diverse state
Where are you talking about going swimming in Arizona and New Mexico? A lake or river? Most of Arizona isn't an hour from skiing unless we're talking somewhere like Flagstaff.

I mean in Portland I can go swimming in a river or lake in the summer and still go skiing in an hour away(Timberline Lodge stays open almost year round) and play golf right in town. You can do the same in a lot of western states if you get a long ski season and good snowpack and early warm weather by the spring or early summer and are close to the mountains. But as far as swimming in the ocean? You're sort of limited even in California, unless you're just talking about surfing in a wetsuit along anywhere on the West Coast or swimming for short times at the hottest times of the year in California.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
That's a ridiculous cutoff. 3 hours should be the cutoff for a day trip, I think. If you can do a day trip to go skiing, then there you go. To illustrate how silly your argument is... It's slightly more than an hour drive to skiing from Denver, Colorado. I guess they just don't have good skiing there. Oh well. Those extra ten minutes to get to loveland are just intolerable.

Remember that this is about diversity, not necessarily raw geographic beauty. I think the intermountain west is very beautiful and there are plenty things in states like AZ and NM that I'm pretty jealous of. That does not make them more diverse than a coastal state that also happens to have mountains.

-I think the west coast (Cali, Oregon, Washington) clearly beats the rest of the country.
-I would probably put Utah next due to the large lake and the arched terrain and vast variety of canyons and novel features.
-NM, CO, WY, the centerpiece states of the rockies would be next, and I think the most diverse east coast states, NC and NY, would be about on par with these. Alaska would also be in this group.
-Then AZ, ID, MT... with the next tier of east coast states alongside them VA, ME, NH. Texas would probably be in that group as well. Hawaii too.
-Then the other appalachian states plus south dakota
-Then the great lake states, florida, and the ozark states.
-Then any remaining non-mountain coastal states.
-Then the really empty stuff like Kansas, Iowa, ND etc.

Last edited by Vatnos; 03-04-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Mountains
Cities
Deserts
Hills
Forest
Beaches
Small towns
Rivers
Ect

Top 10 states

My opinion

California
Pennsylvania
Washington
New York
Florida
Colorado
???????
New Jersey has all of that minus the deserts.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Where are you talking about going swimming in Arizona and New Mexico? A lake or river? Most of Arizona isn't an hour from skiing unless we're talking somewhere like Flagstaff.

I mean in Portland I can go swimming in a river or lake in the summer and still go skiing in an hour away(Timberline Lodge stays open almost year round) and play golf right in town. You can do the same in a lot of western states if you get a long ski season and good snowpack and early warm weather by the spring or early summer and are close to the mountains. But as far as swimming in the ocean? You're sort of limited even in California, unless you're just talking about surfing in a wetsuit along anywhere on the West Coast or swimming for short times at the hottest times of the year in California.
tucson is

Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
That's a ridiculous cutoff. 3 hours should be the cutoff for a day trip, I think. If you can do a day trip to go skiing, then there you go. To illustrate how silly your argument is... It's slightly more than an hour drive to skiing from Denver, Colorado. I guess they just don't have good skiing there. Oh well. Those extra ten minutes to get to loveland are just intolerable.

Remember that this is about diversity, not necessarily raw geographic beauty. I think the intermountain west is very beautiful and there are plenty things in states like AZ and NM that I'm pretty jealous of. That does not make them more diverse than a coastal state that also happens to have mountains.

-I think the west coast (Cali, Oregon, Washington) clearly beats the rest of the country.
-I would probably put Utah next due to the large lake and the arched terrain and vast variety of canyons and novel features.
-NM, CO, WY, the centerpiece states of the rockies would be next, and I think the most diverse east coast states, NC and NY, would be about on par with these. Alaska would also be in this group.
-Then AZ, ID, MT... with the next tier of east coast states alongside them VA, ME, NH. Texas would probably be in that group as well. Hawaii too.
-Then the other appalachian states plus south dakota
-Then the great lake states, florida, and the ozark states.
-Then any remaining non-mountain coastal states.
-Then the really empty stuff like Kansas, Iowa, ND etc.
thats not a ridiculous cutoff. in one hour you go from mexico to canada essentially. thats diverse geography.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
In no order, but my list:

California
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Texas
New Mexico
Georgia
Michigan
Pennsylvania
New York
How can you talk about diversity and only include 1 western state?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.