Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,204,453 times

Advertisements

Nice Photos! But that's too many pictures. ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,909 times
Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City is excellent.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,853,126 times
The three main ones in Minneapolis are the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Wesiman Art Museum, the Walker Art Center. I like the MIA the best out of the three.

Minneapolis Institute of Arts:

File:Minneapolis Institute of Arts.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Walker Art Center:

Walker Art Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weisman Art Museum:

Weisman Art Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM

605 posts, read 1,159,292 times
Boston has two of my favorite art museums in the entire nation located right next to each other in the Fenway area:

Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The latter of which (besides having been the victim of the most infamous American art heist in history) is itself (the building is the former mansion of Izzy Gardner and family) is a work of art.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,839,768 times
Digression--I looked at that picture of the shiny pile of the Weisman and knew it was designed by Frank Gehry. It's much like his Disney Hall shiny pile in Los Angeles. Of course it could still be a great museum, just as Disney Hall is said to be a great concert hall.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,039 times
I would have to second the suggestion of Philadelphia Museum of Art

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What a strange list... Field museum is a natural history museum and ranked 4th... Art Institute ranked way too low, certainly ahead of Field, which again not even a real art museum.

And uhh, where is the Smithsonian American Art Museum? Easily top 5 in the country.

Cleveland at #1? on what planet?

My top 5 in the country are The Met, National Gallery, Smithsonian American Art, Art Institute of Chicago and NYC MoMA... runners up are Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Getty Center.

That being said I'd say DC is an easy shoe in for the #2 slot after NYC b/c like NYC it has an extensive amount of smaller museums after the show stoppers.

Last edited by grapico; 12-20-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
My top 10 (including NYC):

The Met
National Gallery of Art
The MoMA (NY not SF)
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Fine Arts
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Detroit Institute of Arts
Barnes Collection
Cleveland Museum of Art
Dallas Museum of Art

Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What a strange list... Field museum is a natural history museum and ranked 4th... Art Institute ranked way too low, certainly ahead of Field, which again not even a real art museum.

And uhh, where is the Smithsonian American Art Museum? Easily top 5 in the country.

My top 5 in the country are The Met, National Gallery, Smithsonian American Art, Art Institute of Chicago and NYC MoMA... runners up are Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Getty Center.

That being said I'd say DC is an easy shoe in for the #2 slot after NYC b/c like NYC it has an extensive amount of smaller museums after the show stoppers.
It seems as if many have visited DC once, during their 8th grade field trip and have left it at that. DC is a cultural goldmine and yet most of the museums are free.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

They are listed alphabetically not ranked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.