Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people responding to the article actually live in the places they are writing about or are just going by what they have heard because to me it sounds as if they are just parroting what they have heard.

Anyway, I think most of it is in a matter of opinion. How can anyone say a place is miserable because of weather? That's such a subjective thing. And sometimes there one thing can be considered a negative in a city but will be countered by something else that's better than it would be in another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
Warren isn't in a separate metro from Detroit. What figures are they using?

Warren borders Detroit.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Muskegon, MI should be on this list.

Why? Benton Harbor is worse.

I was thinking more like Middletown, Ohio.

Last edited by ram2; 12-26-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder how many people responding to the article actually live in the places they are writing about or are just going by what they have heard because to me it sounds as if they are just parroting what they have heard.
That's what we do here at CD.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
That's what we do here at CD.
Unfortuneatly true. When I take advice from people I like to take it from people who know what they are talking about and who have actually experienced living there. I always get a laugh from people who I know are making what they think are informative comments about my city when it's obvious they are getting the information from a TV show or magazine article rather than first hand information. And they couldn't be more wrong.

Trouble is, other people believe them and may actually relocate on the assumption what they are saying is true. I like to think since CD is a relocation website among other things, people are getting accurate information but unfortunately, I know that isn't true.

I read the article on the miserable cities and I have to say that while some of these things may make people some people miserable, I don't think that all of those things would make everyone miserable.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times
All 10 of those cities are VERY LIBERAL...what's that tell you.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
All 10 of those cities are VERY LIBERAL...what's that tell you.
lol yeah those liberal bastions such as Sacramento, CA and Rockford, IL.

Cities that are actually liberal, such as Boston and San Francisco, basically never make these lists.

Most of these cities are on this list because of the heavy loss of jobs due to the disappearance of good-paying, secure blue-collar jobs.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
lol yeah those liberal bastions such as Sacramento, CA and Rockford, IL.

Cities that are actually liberal, such as Boston and San Francisco, basically never make these lists.

Most of these cities are on this list because of the heavy loss of jobs due to the disappearance of good-paying, secure blue-collar jobs.
Sacramento's county went 57% for Obama and Rockford's went 52%...and that's the full county so imagine what the cities by themself went. Point is I didn't see one conservative place on the list and I never see texas, oklahoma, utah, idaho, nebraska, etc. on any negative lists.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Sacramento's county went 57% for Obama and Rockford's went 52%...and that's the full county so imagine what the cities by themself went. Point is I didn't see one conservative place on the list and I never see texas, oklahoma, utah, idaho, nebraska, etc. on any negative lists.
Check state rankings for poverty levels, education levels, obesity rates and see if you don't see them and/or other "Red states" on the top of those "negative lists".

Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Cool that you equate voting Democratic in a national election as being liberal, even though the two aren't the same thing...

And you're right! Oklahoma and Texas are never on any negative lists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.