Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 938 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning to move out of our hometown of Portland, OR. We are planning to make the move within the next few months. We have been stuck pondering multiple places and can't seem to make the push to go for one or the other. We are young and ambitious and would like to explore as much as we can while we are young, which is why we want to take the leap while we can. We moved to Reno, NV for a few months about a year ago and ended up back in Portland.

We are looking for a few different factors.

1) My family is in Portland, OR. His family is in Austin, TX. We'd like to remain as close as possible to family but it is definately not a make or break.

2) We are young and of course like to go out and have fun but, we did not appreciate living in the midst of Downtown Portland. We really appreciate living in a suburb city that's a few miles out of a huge town.

3) I don't have a specified degree in anything particular. We both have experience in Property Management, and that's most likely the career path we would be taken to start out with.

4) I am a HUGE animal lover. Most importantly dog lover, I will be bringing three dogs with me (relatively small) and would love to have a yard and semi large house for them.

5) I would be renting, my budget for rent would most likely be between $900-$1300 per month.

6) I'll have money saved up to make it a few months without work.

7) I absolutely love the beach. I would love to be close to the beach but understand it may be hard to be along the coast with my type of budget.

The states I have did research on:
California, Arizonia, Colorado, Texas, Hawaii, Florida, Texas and New York.

Any cities that you would reccommend in the above states that fit my criteria for an animal loving couple in their young 20's? Or any outside those states? I've really been stuck the past couple months and would appreciate the help. I'd love to hear as much as possible about the cities YOU LOVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
With your budget you'll find a fairly decent selection of housing in the Tampa Bay area, specifically the coastal areas (Pinellas County) which includes St Petersburg/Clearwater and the suburbs of Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake, Safety Harbor, Dunedin, Seminole and Largo. The beaches are quite close to most of them and world class, with the Clearwater area beaches consistently mentioned among the best with their white sand and beautiful blue water. It's not especially close to either of your families but would imagine you'd see quite a number of visits as it's a great place to vacation too!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
If you are considering NY, with that budget, you are most likely looking at Upstate NY and a 4 season climate. This Rochester neighborhood may work: *Charlotte Community in Rochester, NY

Charlotte Beach, Ontario Beach Park Information

Charlotte, Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Upstate city has a beach that is free to its residents and is an hour or so south of Montreal, as well as across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT. It is also within minutes of the Adirondacks too: City of Plattsburgh

City of Plattsburgh

There is this beach town between Syracuse and Utica: Sylvan Beach - Things to do, Events, Hotels, Restaurants, Shopping

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Area, Sylvan Beach, NY

Here is some rental information: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

You can check Craigslist too.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are considering NY, with that budget, you are most likely looking at Upstate NY and a 4 season climate. This Rochester neighborhood may work: *Charlotte Community in Rochester, NY

Charlotte Beach, Ontario Beach Park Information

Charlotte, Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Upstate city has a beach that is free to its residents and is an hour or so south of Montreal, as well as across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT. It is also within minutes of the Adirondacks too: City of Plattsburgh

City of Plattsburgh

There is this beach town between Syracuse and Utica: Sylvan Beach - Things to do, Events, Hotels, Restaurants, Shopping

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Area, Sylvan Beach, NY

Here is some rental information: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

You can check Craigslist too.
Here is some more information: State Parks - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Upstate New York Real Estate

Parks | Erie County Parks, Recreation and Forestry

Parks | Monroe County, NY

Home » Onondaga County Parks

Old 12-25-2012, 10:15 AM

This may help in terms of jobs: Central New York Jobs

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-openings.html

Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Honestly if families are in Portland or Austin, does it really matter? They are too far from each other so just pick somewhere random, you'll probably be flying anyway. Pretty much all of mine and my gf's family as well as friends are mostly in NY, Florida, Georgia, and have friends in NC, and only about as west as IL, but only Chicago so... makes it easier. A lot of other people are like West Coast Centric, or East Coast Centric... Your situation though, yeah... too far to really plan somewhere out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.