Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
California 336 68.57%
Florida 154 31.43%
Voters: 490. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,828 times

Advertisements

Definitely - Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 12:15 AM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
Florida beaches stomp California's beaches. Its not even close. California has nicer summers

Old 02-17-2008, 09:02 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I can't stand either one, but I would take California over Florida. California at least has some scenery. California also has much better weather mostly, if no major seasonal changes appeal to you. On my one trip to Florida, I thought it was one of the ugliest places I've seen. It reminded me of the Mississippi Delta, but with more people and billboards. In other words, trashier. Yes, we went to the beach, but not enough of a redeeming value there.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
California!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM

30 posts, read 97,066 times
Definitely CA. CA not only has beaches but has diverse beaches. FL only has one type of beach- flat, warm, tropical. CA has mountains and a much more diverse landscape.

FL is too humid, too many bugs and lizards, too swampy, too many alligators. It is a pretty place with some great beaches, but CA has places like Tahoe, Yosemite, San Diego, San Francisco, Big Sur, the Redwoods, the Sequoias, Gold Country. You can go skiing and surfing all in the same day. In Florida, it's mostly all the same- flat for one thing. But also tropical. Northern FL is a little different than Southern FL, but CA just has much more diverse landscape, climate, and cities.

CA has more wildlife (less of them being reptiles), and less deadly weather. CA doesn't have daily thunderstorms with deadly lightening almost every day in the summer and it doesn't have a hurricane season.

Also, in Florida there is no view of the beach. You don't see the beach until you drive right up to it (and even then you might have some huge apt. building blocking your view). In California, there are several towns/cities where you have gorgeous views of both mountains and beach (Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Francisco). I love views.

Last edited by visalian; 02-24-2008 at 01:32 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
i would defintely choose California over Florida, but i would live in the Lake Tahoe area. weather in Florida is BORING, was just there this weekend it was 93 degrees in Feb, 93 DEGREES, two seasons in FL: summer and January, i LOVE cold and snow, and i lived in FL for 10 years and i think it's highly overrated.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
i would defintely choose California over Florida, but i would live in the Lake Tahoe area. weather in Florida is BORING, was just there this weekend it was 93 degrees in Feb, 93 DEGREES, two seasons in FL: summer and January, i LOVE cold and snow, and i lived in FL for 10 years and i think it's highly overrated.

Some of us like warm boring as you say weather To each his own I guess.

I agree that California is more scenic and prettier over all.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Some of us like warm boring as you say weather To each his own I guess.

I agree that California is more scenic and prettier over all.
i agree also that California is alot prettier and more scenic,the only part of FL that i actually like is the area NW of Orlando on Florida's Turnpike that is very hilly and scenic, IMO is the most beautiful part of FL.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
CA is definitely better, but I do like their warm weather and would love to move there.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So no one lives in Big Bear, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, Catalina Island, NorCal, Half Moon Bay, Marin, Central Coast, and the oh-so-important Central Valley. Go ahed. Live off your Florida oranges. We have the central valley here.
You're kidding, right? Seriously. The Californians that defend or "prop" the Central Valley have never bothered to pull off the 99 and check it out. It is a massive wasteland, bible-beating DUMP. There is no "romantic rustic" here or "wonderful provincial farming" imagery. The VALLEY is as flat, boring and decaying as what Californians assume Florida is. The only farming and herding done in the Central Valley is by massive Corporate farms and herds. Tyson and Harris Ranch pretty much own everything out here. They don't exactly farm with aesthetic concerns in mind...There are plenty of noname inconsequential little farming towns with "family farm communities" but these communities are run like little Medieval Townships...serf labor, wealthy "land Lords" and misery spread throughout the "shire"...

As a Californian...I will say this decision is very close. Florida is not as bad as Californians assume..it is not as good as it SHOULD be. With the East Coast Influence, you'd think Florida would be a cultural paradise to match the natural splendor. It lags a bit but there is promise in Florida.

For all the chest thumping that goes on about California beaches, very few Californians actually surf. Obiously it is crowded at the beach in August but on most weekends in San Diego..waves can be had by anyone. The So Cal beaches are routinely closed due to contamination and runoff, moreso in Los Angeles. I don't seem to read about contamination with Florida beaches.

I easily prefer the Tropical Beach climate of Florida over the overrated beach scene of Cali. Let's not even call Northern Cali a "beach" let's just call it a cold, rocky coastline.

I get the feeling that California is so entrenched and bifurcated (Wealthy/Poor) that it is collapsing on itself.

I believe that Florida has been "stalled" in development, had a massive real-estate driven "gold rush" the last 5 years, but there is more opportunity for a higher quality of life in Florida then in California.

City by City...I'll take certain California cities...but in a holistic state comparison...this Californian will choose Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.