Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM

244 posts, read 417,971 times

Advertisements

Has anybody who owned a house just up and moved to a different state without a job offer? How did it work out for you? Was it hard finding a job and how long did it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,962 times
I did it. I quit my job in Houston to chase a San Francisco dream. I went out first and left my wife behind with the house. I had a great job in six weeks. It was right at the end of the year, though, so we waited until the second week in January to put the house up for sale.

It took about four weeks to get our asking price and that came on a contingency offer, as the people buying our house were selling theirs (also in Houston). They finally got their deal done and after dragging out the closing of both properties, we had it all wrapped up by June. I flew in, signed the papers and moved my wife and the rest of our stuff out to San Francisco.

So far, so good.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,809,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
Has anybody who owned a house just up and moved to a different state without a job offer? How did it work out for you? Was it hard finding a job and how long did it take?
Kinda in the same boat as you. I currently have my home on the market trying to sell it before I start searching for a job in the state that I want to relocate to. I thinks its best to sell first so you wont have the "headaches" afterward. Plus with the job market the way it is..It's not guaranteed that you can find a job.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,266,321 times
I have done it twice. I moved to Charlotte and ended up telemarketing for three years because I couldn't find a job in my field no matter what I did. Then I moved to Oklahoma City and found a great job in my field within a month.

I advise against moving anywhere without a job, but if you are going to do so, be sure to research the unemployment rate and also the number of applicants per job.

The bad news is the "popular" cities will almost always be the most difficult to find a job strictly due to the number of applicants per job.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have done it twice. I moved to Charlotte and ended up telemarketing for three years because I couldn't find a job in my field no matter what I did. Then I moved to Oklahoma City and found a great job in my field within a month.

I advise against moving anywhere without a job, but if you are going to do so, be sure to research the unemployment rate and also the number of applicants per job.

The bad news is the "popular" cities will almost always be the most difficult to find a job strictly due to the number of applicants per job.
Two excellent points. You see it repeated over and over again on this forum where many are trying to move to the same half dozen cities. Research unemployment rates and consider other less obvious cities. It's a big country with many great cities to live in. Don't let unfamiliarity get in the way of sane decision-making.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM

93,543 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Two excellent points. You see it repeated over and over again on this forum where many are trying to move to the same half dozen cities. Research unemployment rates and consider other less obvious cities. It's a big country with many great cities to live in. Don't let unfamiliarity get in the way of sane decision-making.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
I'll a step further and say don't necessarily let unemployment rates get in the way, but research what industries are doing well in areas that you may be interested in. Just because one person may have trouble finding a job doesn't mean that your skills, education, etc. won't allow you to find relevant employment. Just like cities, people have different things to offer in terms of employment.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,665,887 times
Ive done it five times over the past ten years.
There are lots of variables. A "good" job in Florida wouldn't be tolerated in the North Eastern NY, PA, DE, NJ region . . .
Service related economies like aforementioned Florida in the South, or Vermont in the north are going to be almost impossible to find suitable work in. Yes, you will eventually find crappy work, but only you can determine how going to a no-pay McJob job you hate will affect your quality of life, long-term.
My sanity determined I move away from South Florida where I suffered the worst job climate in my life, to my current state where I found a real, great job in only a months time. Before the boxes were even unpacked.
Lots of variables . . . Do the research. Avoid service related economies. Also, lots of southern states are Right to Work and have crazy rules and laws employers are prone to call upon regularly in an Employers marketplace. I wouldn't relocate in one of those states until I got a binding contract from my employer guaranteeing me a certain amount of time .

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,770 times
Kind of. I'm a huge proponent of finding a job first and then moving but I realize it doesn't always work that way.

My husband enrolled in College in St. Louis earlier this year as he was getting out of the Marine Corps in November and wanted to make use of his GI Bill. We had enough cash to buy a house outright- so we did (therefore we wouldn't have the burden of rent or mortgage payments). DH started applying for jobs about 2 weeks prior to him getting out of the Marine Corps and us moving to St. Louis. He got a job within 2 weeks of moving here that will work around his College schedule (he starts college in January). As for me, I'm pregnant so not currently looking for work but I'm confident that I wouldn't have had issues either based on my qualifications and experience.

Depending on your experience and qualifications, and depending on which area you're moving to I think it's perfectly feasible to move somewhere without a job. Even though I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, I realize that there are extenuating circumstances such as our own which make a move without a job the logical choice.

Do what's best for you- and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.