Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM

492 posts, read 1,008,512 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what were some of the cultural points in a given country in the Americas and why. Basically, I'm wondering what cities does your country look to for inspiration, flavor, novelty, etc. For example, my country of birth is the USA. Its cultural capitals are:

New York City: It is THE American City. The City that all others worldwide are compared to. With cultural enclaves like Broadway (the Theatre), Harlem (a snapshot of African-American Culture), Brooklyn (Hipster/young intellect), Little Italy, The Bronx (Great look at African-American/Caribbean relations and mixes), and many others, I can argue you can "sell" NYC to anyone.

Los Angeles: Hollywood. Enough said. The media capital of the Western World. Glitz, glamour, Celebrities - they're all there. The only true rival to NYC, as well as a look a snapshot of Mexican-American culture as well.

Miami: "Gateway to Latin America." Spicy. Dangerous. Gritty. Sexy. HOT. It's a great way to dip a toe into Latin America without leaving the states. It has the Beaches and the sun and the danger, and yet still votes for an america president!

Atlanta: New South. Up and coming. One of America's "Future Cities" that will only grow in clout. A great look into the concept of Southern Hospitality, yet still being in a big city filled with culture. Considered to be America's Black Mecca as well, with many blacks holding powerful positions. The new home of hip-hop, R&B, and some would argue Black American culture in general.

Boston: America's best answer to a Northwest European city. Filled with American history. Birthplace of many innovations and innovators. Large and growing Portuguese-speaking population, which gives it a certain flair. American History in one word.

To me, these cities are what I would call "Americanas." That is to say, these are the cities that, if they were to never have existed, my country would be a DRASTICALLY different place. Obviously, I'm leaving out some cities (Memphis, Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, etc.), but I would argue these do not hold the same weight as the ones I have mentioned. They are sort of second-tier.

What are some cities for your country or countries that you are passionate about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I'd put Houston or even Dallas over Atlanta for the New South. Both Texas giants are full speed ahead with nothing stopping them.

Atlanta's economy & growth have slowed down a lot lately.

Its also not nearly as culturally diverse as Houston even though it has one of the busiest & largest airports in the world. Houston's advantage is oil, energy, medical, & foreign seaport.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'd put Houston or even Dallas over Atlanta for the New South.

Atlanta's economy & growth have slowed a lot lately.

Its also not nearly as culturally diverse as Houston even though it has one of the busiest & largest airports in the world.
Instead of "New South," the category should just be the American South and NOLA would top them all.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Instead of "New South," the category should just be the American South and NOLA would top them all.
NOLA depends highly on tourism for its economic value...Houston, Dallas, & Atlanta don't.

If it weren't for Houston, New Orleans never would have bounced back from Katrina the way it did.

Atlanta & New Orleans are nothing compared to the Texas powerhouse duos of Houston & Dallas in terms of over all GDP.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a unique cultural experience, New Orleans does have an advantage, but that's about the only area it wins.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
I'd put Houston or even Dallas over Atlanta for the New South. Both Texas giants are full speed ahead with nothing stopping them.

Its also not nearly as culturally diverse as Houston even though it has one of the busiest & largest airports in the world. Houston's advantage is oil, energy, medical, & foreign seaport.

Culturally I think Atlanta stands out over Houston or DFW. Even moreso those two really seem to couter each other

Not sure this question is purely on GDP or population growth either

Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:

I disagree...somewhat. Rather than remove Atlanta, I think Dallas and/or Houston should be added.

Atlanta is still the de facto cultural center for the Southeast. I think there is enough cultural difference to split the South into a couple of different zones. Other "New South" cities, primarily those east of the Mississippi, don't really follow the Texas cities that much. Distance has a lot to do with it...especially considering that after Atlanta, the next closest "big" city is DC (with the exception of Birmingham and Memphis).

So really...just split the South into two zones...east and west. Atlanta is the cultural capital of the eastern South, and Dallas and Houston are co-capitals of the western South (I avoid using the term "Southwest" to keep it distinct from the American Southwest).

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
NOLA depends highly on tourism for its economic value...Houston, Dallas, & Atlanta don't.

If it weren't for Houston, New Orleans never would have bounced back from Katrina the way it did.

Atlanta & New Orleans are nothing compared to the Texas powerhouse duos of Houston & Dallas in terms of over all GDP.

For a unique cultural experience, New Orleans does have an advantage, but that's about the only area it wins.
Did you not read the title of the thread? LOL

Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you not read the title of the thread? LOL
Because he has to chime in and be a homer about Texas in every way he can. Boring and predictable rather than encompassing a bigger worldview. Most of the world likely views Atlanta as the cultural center of the New South and see's Dallas and Houston as the rising cities of...well... Texas!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-26-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:

Cultural capitals are defined by GDP? New Orleans being a more unique cultural experience is really what a thread titled "Cultural Capitals of States" is all about...

Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Because he has to chime in and be a homer about Texas in every way he can. Boring and predictable rather than encompassing a bigger worldview.
Ahhh, I see. I was wondering why he was talking about GDP, economy, and growth when the subject is culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.