Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

I am just curious as to what reasons there, other than more bars and night clubs, and such?

Even smaller college towns offer the bars and night club scene.

I know in general, places stay open later in larger cities. But I am not sure that is true for all cities. Like can anyone in an Orange County, CA city say that in the large suburban cities even there places are open late?

I am very drawn to live in the nearest large city to me (100,000 population) and places there are open later, and there is a large movie theater and skating rink and mini golf park and trendy coffee shops and a great variety of restaurants.

I mean the only teens I know who like rural communities and small towns are the ones who love hiking, peace, and small downtowns.

I've lived in a rural community and several cities and been to several towns.

I found more young families and retirees staying in the rural communities and a few college aged people staying and a few college aged returning after college. In the small towns, it was the same story.

I found though in cities that the community colleges are bigger and there is usually a state college nearby for commuter students. This is very much the case for my city. We have a huge community college, a private computer college and business college, and are half hour from a state university where a lot the commuter students go because it's affordable living at home and paying the gas. There is a demand for kids to stay in the city they are from.

I think people who want more of a rural experience move to un-incorporated communities and towns, and people who want more of an urban experience move to cities.

So my hypothesis is young people move to cities for one or more of these reasons:

1) Jobs (certain industries only located in the city, certain industries pay higher in cities)
2) Diversity (Cities you find higher concentrations of ethnic groups like a large enough group of Middle Eastern American, Latin American, Hispanic, Chinese American, Filipino American, African American)
3) More entertainment options (I know with at least 100,000 population there is a mini golf course around, bigger cities means bigger movie theaters, a skating rink, more coffee shops, more ethnic restaurants, and perhaps a night club, and for the 500,000 pop+ with a tourist population the amusement parks)
4) More shopping and dining options (Malls, trendy clothing stores, organic health markets)
5) More people! Young people want to socialize have different places to meet people where people in small communities are fine with the same old people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
You basically just answered your own question...

Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM

54 posts, read 61,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I am just curious as to what reasons there, other than more bars and night clubs, and such?

Even smaller college towns offer the bars and night club scene.

I know in general, places stay open later in larger cities. But I am not sure that is true for all cities. Like can anyone in an Orange County, CA city say that in the large suburban cities even there places are open late?

I am very drawn to live in the nearest large city to me (100,000 population) and places there are open later, and there is a large movie theater and skating rink and mini golf park and trendy coffee shops and a great variety of restaurants.

I mean the only teens I know who like rural communities and small towns are the ones who love hiking, peace, and small downtowns.

I've lived in a rural community and several cities and been to several towns.

I found more young families and retirees staying in the rural communities and a few college aged people staying and a few college aged returning after college. In the small towns, it was the same story.

I found though in cities that the community colleges are bigger and there is usually a state college nearby for commuter students. This is very much the case for my city. We have a huge community college, a private computer college and business college, and are half hour from a state university where a lot the commuter students go because it's affordable living at home and paying the gas. There is a demand for kids to stay in the city they are from.

I think people who want more of a rural experience move to un-incorporated communities and towns, and people who want more of an urban experience move to cities.

So my hypothesis is young people move to cities for one or more of these reasons:

1) Jobs (certain industries only located in the city, certain industries pay higher in cities)
2) Diversity (Cities you find higher concentrations of ethnic groups like a large enough group of Middle Eastern American, Latin American, Hispanic, Chinese American, Filipino American, African American)
3) More entertainment options (I know with at least 100,000 population there is a mini golf course around, bigger cities means bigger movie theaters, a skating rink, more coffee shops, more ethnic restaurants, and perhaps a night club, and for the 500,000 pop+ with a tourist population the amusement parks)
4) More shopping and dining options (Malls, trendy clothing stores, organic health markets)
5) More people! Young people want to socialize have different places to meet people where people in small communities are fine with the same old people
I read your post...Um I think you answered all the WHYs....

Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I think it's not the size of the city young people are looking for but rather liberal politics. The top cities for young professionals are places like Austin, Portland, and Seattle, which aren't the largest cities but they are among the most liberal. Smaller places like Asheville NC and Boulder CO are also pretty popular with young people. Places like Oklahoma City are not however. Gay friendliness, lax marijuana laws, a strong arts community, high walkability/public transport, and low Christianity is what attracts young people. This is an extremely liberal generation and their choices in cities reflect that.

Unfortunately what we are getting as a result is extreme political segregation.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think it's not the size of the city young people are looking for but rather liberal politics. The top cities for young professionals are places like Austin, Portland, and Seattle, which aren't the largest cities but they are among the most liberal. Smaller places like Asheville NC and Boulder CO are also pretty popular with young people. Places like Oklahoma City are not however. Gay friendliness, lax marijuana laws, a strong arts community, high walkability/public transport, and low Christianity is what attracts young people. This is an extremely liberal generation and their choices in cities reflect that.

I would complain about dragging politics into something like this... but I won't.

Besides, like me and Fly! already mentioned, the OP already answered the title of this thread thoroughly.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Most smaller size college towns also have liberal politics. There might be some of that within certain subgroups, but it's not all young people. There are many moderate and conservative young people in the US.

From what I can tell, though, it's mostly about jobs and not really wanting that spacious house in the suburbs (hence being willing to live somewhere expensive.) A lot of young people don't really think about having to live in big cities at all.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,601 times
I really don't have a whole lot to add. The OP pretty much answered their own question. As a young person myself, the reason why I'd prefer a big city is for pretty much all the reasons you listed. For me, jobs and diversity are really major factors as to what city I eventually choose to move to. I grew up getting a long with people from all different backgrounds, so it would be somewhat of a culture shock for me to go to a city that wasn't really diverse at all. Also, yes, I have to be in a place where I'm entertained! Not just bars and clubs, but legitimately, I can find things to do outside of eating and going to the movies.

As for as the liberal vs conservative thing, I dunno it's fair to say every young person is a liberal. Yet, I do think it's fair to say that young people are generally more open minded, and generally want the same things. A good example would be my sister. She is very conservative, but she too would rather live in a bigger city, because she'd rather meet people from all walks of life, have more things to do, and better jobs.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
I really don't have a whole lot to add. The OP pretty much answered their own question. As a young person myself, the reason why I'd prefer a big city is for pretty much all the reasons you listed. For me, jobs and diversity are really major factors as to what city I eventually choose to move to. I grew up getting a long with people from all different backgrounds, so it would be somewhat of a culture shock for me to go to a city that wasn't really diverse at all. Also, yes, I have to be in a place where I'm entertained! Not just bars and clubs, but legitimately, I can find things to do outside of eating and going to the movies.

As for as the liberal vs conservative thing, I dunno it's fair to say every young person is a liberal. Yet, I do think it's fair to say that young people are generally more open minded, and generally want the same things. A good example would be my sister. She is very conservative, but she too would rather live in a bigger city, because she'd rather meet people from all walks of life, have more things to do, and better jobs.
I know some more conservative cities like Costa Mesa and some San Diego County cities like Carlsbad and Chula Vista that are very hip.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM

My point also is some suburban areas can very trendy if there are large enough cities.

I know some young people want that urban, night life scene, but for me that really never entertained me.

Mini golf, trendy coffee shops, organic food market, a large movie theater, bowling, at least one hiking trail, restaurants that are from different nationalities (Indian, Latin American, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese), and good sized population of other nationalities.

My city is mostly suburban with a small urban downtown, but it's 50% Hispanic, 40% Caucasian, 5% Asian, 3% Filipino, 3% African American, and with other nationalities in there. Many of those who registered Hispanic are actually Latin Americans and we have a higher concentration of Argentinos here. I love the Hispanic ice cream shop with avocado flavored ice cream, and a good sized Asian and Hispanic market to get ethnic food which are cheaper than your normal super markets! Our schools here are good, we have a charter school, a good private school, and the mall has introduced some local stores into it to make it more hip.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times
Because many of them care about stupid things like "diversity", "nightlife" etc. I never understood why some people, especially people on here care about things like but each to their own.

However, I'm 21 and couldn't care less about these things. Most people also stick with their own kinds anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.