Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times

Advertisements

Oh and if this thread is about North America in general (I assume US and Canada and not including Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean) I'd say most Canadian cities do not have landmarks. The only cities in Canada I think have noticable landamrks are TOronto and Quebec City. Vancouver looks like Seattle without the Space Needle.

Also Portland, Oregon is devoid of landmarks too. If we are to include the rest of what is technically North America, Cancun and Acapulco have very recognizable skylines and cityscapes, Cancun also has the Tulum ruins in its vicinity. There is the Atlantis Resort in Nassau and the Panana Canal in Panana City plus Aztec ruins outside Mexico City. I guess the Mexico welcome sign in Tijuana counts as a landmark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Boston
I disagree.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oh and if this thread is about North America in general (I assume US and Canada and not including Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean) I'd say most Canadian cities do not have landmarks. The only cities in Canada I think have noticable landamrks are TOronto and Quebec City. Vancouver looks like Seattle without the Space Needle.

Also Portland, Oregon is devoid of landmarks too. If we are to include the rest of what is technically North America, Cancun and Acapulco have very recognizable skylines and cityscapes, Cancun also has the Tulum ruins in its vicinity. There is the Atlantis Resort in Nassau and the Panana Canal in Panana City plus Aztec ruins outside Mexico City. I guess the Mexico welcome sign in Tijuana counts as a landmark.
I believe Mt Hood is considered a Portland OR landmark. More recently "The Big Pink" aka The US Bank Building. Possibly "Portlandia" the statue, not the TV show.

These are things tourists always make a point to view and are featured in photographs as representative of the city.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I disagree.

What's that?

Quote:
I'd say Centennial Park and Turner Field are considered landmarks especially the former, plus Stone Mountain which is part of the Atlanta region. I'd probably go with:

San Diego
San Jose
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
Albuquerque
Kansas City
Denver
Milwaukee
Norfolk
Minneapolis
Not sure if this counts as a landmark, but the confluence of the three rivers is pretty iconic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Phoenix-Cant think of anything
Houston-Cant think of anything
El Paso-Nothing
Columbus-Nothing
Jacksonville-Beaches possibly but many cities have beaches. Some better so then jacksonville.
When I think of Jackonville, I think of those lighted bridges they have.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,807,787 times
Quote:
Vancouver looks like Seattle w/o the Space Needle? No... it doesn't. Its got the Stanley Park, the Lions Gate bridge, and even the Science World. The Science World landmark is the kind of art work that Seattle should be looking into creating. A very beautiful, especially at night.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Oh and if this thread is about North America in general (I assume US and Canada and not including Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean).
It's not ... it says U.S.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,851,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave209 View Post
Baltimore has no notable big landmarks.
Baltimore has the white house, Washington monument, Lincoln memorial, US capitol building, the Pentagon.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Houston = the Astrodome (first indoor baseball park ever).... LBJ NASA Space Center.... the former Enron Building
Those names certainly identify Houston no doubt. Though visually I can't say the buildings themselves aestheticly indentify....This is Houston! Many cities including Houston itself have ditched the dome stadium concept from the 70's, good thing too.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Calgary has one of those observation towers kind of like the Space Needle, though not as aestheticly cool.

Ottawa has the parliament buildings which to me are very distinctively recognizable.

Vancouver doesn't look like Seattle. Look at all those glass boxes that Vancouver has block after block in downtown and I'd say the city cores look very different. Seattle certainly doesn't have anything that looks like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/design_ev/4747781973/

Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I disagree.
Ughhh!!! with all the beautiful architecture in Boston you had to point out that ugly Soviet cold war style monstrosity and one of the ugliest city halls in the country. Dallas has one of those too. I hate that building, and so does the mayor of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.