Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
San Francisco has a better natural harbor than LA, one of the best in the world, and San Francisco is better watered. If things go to Hell San Francisco will dominate as it did in the past. What about LA's position is needed, that can't be done as well somewhere else? LA could end up a temporary city, like Cairo Illinois. Detroit is in a better long term position than LA.

I already explained the advantages of Chicago's position.

Changes in economics and politics can't be seen in detail only in certainty. You can be sure that in 100 years this nation will be a very different place, maybe sooner. Who 50 years ago saw what would happen to Detroit and Youngstown?

History takes the long view.
Who cares if it's a "natural" harbor? LA's man made harbor is much larger than SF/Oakland's and can handle more cargo as well as having better connections to the rest of the country via rail and highways. As well as more airports to move cargo. And SF barely has any maritime business left, the harbor and port are in Oakland, not SF. What about SF's position is needed that can't be done anywhere else?

Chicago is on a major trade route, so is LA, not any advantage to Chicago there. And how the hell is Detroit in a better position than LA? The city has been dying for over a 1/2 century and there is no indication the bleeding will stop anytime soon.

If you're going to claim all of this BS at least explain why. Your claims and arguments have pretty much no substance to them and you sound pretty full of yourself b/c you haven't actually provided in real detail or reasons why Detroit and Chicago are in a better position than LA.

You still haven't explained what changes in politics and economics will make LA a ghost town and Chicago better positioned? Please elaborate on that instead of just claiming it w/o anything to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You still haven't explained what changes in politics and economics will make LA a ghost town and Chicago better positioned? Please elaborate on that instead of just claiming it w/o anything to back it up.
The United States becoming poorer. Water becoming scarce. Political changes leading to high tariffs and regrowth of American industry. Wars and revolutions in Asia. Africa industrializing and replacing Asia as source of cheap labor. Wars and revolutions in North America.

All are possible and several are probable.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,763 times
No, LA will get denser, like Chicago.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM

284 posts, read 696,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210 Beverly Hills View Post
McDonalds was founded in Los angeles county and the first McDonalds was in san bernideno L.A. county not chicago and fast food is not even important besides half of the fast food resturaunts were made in California e.g. jack in a Box, Carls Jr. etc
Yea i know that but the headquarters are in Chicago today and this is when McDonald's is at its prime

Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The United States becoming poorer. Water becoming scarce. Political changes leading to high tariffs and regrowth of American industry. Wars and revolutions in Asia. Africa industrializing and replacing Asia as source of cheap labor. Wars and revolutions in North America.

All are possible and several are probable.
US becoming poorer? Not sure where you get that. Wars and revolutions in NA? You offer some "interesting" theories which some seem pretty far out there and not likely at all. But either way, NONE of this explains why LA would become a "ghost town" and Chicago will surpass it in population.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
US becoming poorer? Not sure where you get that. Wars and revolutions in NA? You offer some "interesting" theories which some seem pretty far out there and not likely at all. But either way, NONE of this explains why LA would become a "ghost town" and Chicago will surpass it in population.

Sure the US can become poorer, you think nations only change for the better? Hell, lots of people in this country are getting poorer every day.

I've given you reasons, think them through.

You seem to think it's inevitable that LA will always prosper. No doubt the people of Detroit thought that about Detroit 50 years ago. Oh wait, I already said that and you already dismissed the implications.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Sure the US can become poorer, you think nations only change for the better? Hell, lots of people in this country are getting poorer every day.

I've given you reasons, think them through.

You seem to think it's inevitable that LA will always prosper. No doubt the people of Detroit thought that about Detroit 50 years ago. Oh wait, I already said that and you already dismissed the implications.
And a lot of people are getting richer everyday too.

No you haven't given me any reasons or explanation on why Chicago will prosper and LA will falter?

So just b/c Detroit failed that means LA will? How so? What similarities do they have? The automobile industry killed Detroit, LA is not in any type of similar situation. When the aerospace and defense industries left town in the early 90's and LA experienced a horrible recession it still never lost population. Even with the riots of 92, high crime rate, and horrible housing market. It has endured some pretty tough times already and still has never lost population in its history.

I have thought about the things you listed and I still don't see how they will make LA decline and Chicago prosper so why don't you explain it? I don't even think you can explain it and are just full of it and don't really even have a grasp on what the hell you're talking about. You still haven't explained anything yet and will probably just keep saying the same thing over and over like you have been.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
But i agree Houston will probably pass Chicago with population but it will never be as important to America as Chicago
That's what Chicago said about L.A. a century ago. Don't be surprised if Houston does it to Chicago this century.

Quote:
we have big company's here that are world wide i really dont want to mention all of them but lets say two McDonalds and Motorola and yea they are in the burbs but the burbs will not be here if chicago was not here so dont say houston is more important then chicago cause it is not.
If I remember correctly, I heard on NPR that Motorola has declining market share. It's hard to find a Motorola mobile phone in the store these days. I encounter Samsung and Nokias along with the smartphones like Blackberry and Palm instead. When I Googled "Motorola declining marketshare," one of the descriptions said "WE USED TO BE HOT: Motorola has seen its global market share cut in half as its..." Seems Motorola is so '90s like The Gap.

Dallas is actually attracting HQs better than Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised for Motorola to move its HQ to Dallas soon to join the other high-tech companies and the latest newcomer, AT&T.

Why is Motorola in Schaumburg? I passed by their building last time I was in Chicago on what is now the Addams (Tollway, ouch!!!) and wondered why a freeway frontage was necessary even though there was no access either by a feeder road or an interchange. Is Chicago not able to keep the big companies in The Loop? Sears moved out of it's namesake tower 15 years ago to Hoffman Estates. Attracting the big companies back into The Loop should be Mayor Daley's next project.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 AM

284 posts, read 696,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's what Chicago said about L.A. a century ago. Don't be surprised if Houston does it to Chicago this century.

If I remember correctly, I heard on NPR that Motorola has declining market share. It's hard to find a Motorola mobile phone in the store these days. I encounter Samsung and Nokias along with the smartphones like Blackberry and Palm instead. When I Googled "Motorola declining marketshare," one of the descriptions said "WE USED TO BE HOT: Motorola has seen its global market share cut in half as its..." Seems Motorola is so '90s like The Gap.

Dallas is actually attracting HQs better than Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised for Motorola to move its HQ to Dallas soon to join the other high-tech companies and the latest newcomer, AT&T.

Why is Motorola in Schaumburg? I passed by their building last time I was in Chicago on what is now the Addams (Tollway, ouch!!!) and wondered why a freeway frontage was necessary even though there was no access either by a feeder road or an interchange. Is Chicago not able to keep the big companies in The Loop? Sears moved out of it's namesake tower 15 years ago to Hoffman Estates. Attracting the big companies back into The Loop should be Mayor Daley's next project.
Hey i give it to you moto is going down hill there phones are all the same but in the long run it is still a big company.

And i still think LA is not as important as Chicago it is important to my media but my business no i care more about what is going through Chicago Bord of trade or wall street were stuff will actually affect me other than what is going through the minds of the stupid celebrities
iI love LA great city for my vacation but that is all it is a really nice vacation spot full of rich people that can afford it. I belive if the country is going the way it is people will not be able to live there and flock to cheaper cities like Chicago or Houston. All i am saying is that population does not make a city big but what the city is doing to help out the country is what makes it big and that is what people are forgetting about

With that deffinition here is my list of americas biggest citys

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. DC
4. Houston
5. LA

Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 AM

I'll spell it out for you 858

Nation becoming poorer means spread out cities like LA become less attractive.

Less trade from Asia (for reasons already given) means less prosperity for LA.

Difficulty getting water means problems for LA.

Salinization of irrigated farmland in California means problems for LA.

Higher cost of transport, both agricultural and industrial materials, means problems for LA and advantages for cities closer to the center.

As problems mount and other cities gain advantages people leave.

Now Chicago is a well watered city situated where the Mississippi system and Great Lakes-St Laurence system meet. Their are numerous rivers, lakes and canals on which matrials can be moved cheaply by barge and ship. The surrounding prarie and states are an agricultural powerhouse (and a well watered one) producing vast amounts of grain and livestock. Timber and iron are near to the north and coal near to the south. This is a good situation in ANY time: 100 years ago, now, 100 years from now.

Now if you can't see some plausible scenarios here where LA goes down and Chicago goes up you're lacking imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.