Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM

149 posts, read 200,872 times

Advertisements

Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
If Phoenix is sitting on more land and has a greater population, I fail to see how Philadelphia is larger "pound for pound." Do you mean that the density is greater? Phoenix is classified as being urban, too.
Phoenix hardly has more people yet has about 385 more square miles than Philadelphia does.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Phoenix hardly has more people yet has about 385 more square miles than Philadelphia does.
Thank you. I am aware. That still makes Phoenix larger than Philadelphia in both population and land area. So, Philadelphia really isn't larger at all.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Thank you. I am aware. That still makes Phoenix larger than Philadelphia in both population and land area. So, Philadelphia really isn't larger at all.
Well because what i stated shows that they are basically equal in population but Phoenix has so much more land would just sow you how Philadelphia is larger "pound for pound" like Chicago60614 said.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
miamiman wrote:
Quote:
That still makes Phoenix larger than Philadelphia in both population and land area. So, Philadelphia really isn't larger at all.
That's not really quite accurate. They're talking about the population within city limits, not metro area. I just moved from Phoenix and I know how fast it's growing but Philadelphia has a larger metro area. I've posted a link that shows the US metro areas as of 2007:Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You'll notice metro Philadelphia is the fifth largest metro area in the US while metro Phoenix is rated at 13 but growing quickly. Also the populations of New York and LA haven't changed all that much over recent years although they both are gaining some population. LA would have alot of catching up to do because as you can see New York has about six million more people.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times
It cant surpass and besides NY is the only city in the US that was not hit by this housing economic crisis. Which shows that more homes are being built across the whole city in all 5 boros. We have not run out of space because there are alot of empty lots and old decrypted buildings that can be replaced. There are so many lots that we can probably reach over 10.5 million people by 2010. Plus with all the new construction projects that will give millions of peoples jobs after they are done more homes would be asked for especially with high gas prices people want to move as closer to the city. Whoever said that manhattan was the most desirable place was wrong. Ive been all around the five boros to see that there were alot of new condos being built all over the place. There were so many being built we can probably gain the nickname condo city.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
There are so many lots that we can probably reach over 10.5 million people by 2010.
What??

Even the most optimistic/ambitious population forecasts (coming from Bloomberg's office) estimate growth of 1 million more residents, which equals a total of 9.2 million, by 2030. NYC will not add over 2 million new residents in two years.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times
i didnt mean that i meant like some time before 2030 sorry about that

Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
It cant surpass and besides NY is the only city in the US that was not hit by this housing economic crisis. Which shows that more homes are being built across the whole city in all 5 boros. We have not run out of space because there are alot of empty lots and old decrypted buildings that can be replaced. There are so many lots that we can probably reach over 10.5 million people by 2010. Plus with all the new construction projects that will give millions of peoples jobs after they are done more homes would be asked for especially with high gas prices people want to move as closer to the city. Whoever said that manhattan was the most desirable place was wrong. Ive been all around the five boros to see that there were alot of new condos being built all over the place. There were so many being built we can probably gain the nickname condo city.
New York was and is being hit by the housing crisis. In fact the Northeast as a whole has experienced a 12.6% drop in house prices, second in the nation.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:00 PM

162 posts, read 271,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
New York was and is being hit by the housing crisis. In fact the Northeast as a whole has experienced a 12.6% drop in house prices, second in the nation.
He said New York City, not "Northeast" and FYI, New York City has probably been hit the lightest out of all cities. I was just reading about it.

Manhattan has not been hit at all. The average price of an apartment in Manhattan is $1,700,000. Yes, $1.7 Million dollars and still climbing at an all time high.

The outer-boroughs of NYC are doing pretty well too (compared to other cities)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.