Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Wow, are you an arborist or a land surveyor?

I visit Raleigh/Cary and about once a year to see family and I've made the drive between Cary and Wilmington along I-40. The pines do really stand out for me while there, but I think the point I'm trying to make is I don't have much of an appreciation for thick forests and a good bulk of the landscapes back to me just look overgrown. That's just me though, I know there are a lot of people that don't appreciate the desert.
I hope that you realize that the fall line is very close to the east side of Raleigh. In fact, I'd say that pines are nearly equal to deciduous trees on the eastern side of the Raleigh Durham region. Once you get about forty miles east of Raleigh, pines are especially abundant, but this is on the coastal plain, not the Piedmont. Most of the Piedmont lies from just east of Raleigh westward to the mountains. Of the three largest metros, Raleigh-Durham, by far, has the most pines. It quickly changes once you get just west of Chapel Hill, where places in Orange County are probably around 80% deciduous trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Ditto.

Desert is a nice place to visit and definitely has it's own beauty, especially in the mountainous areas during sunset. But I need trees and greenery and the change of seasons. It just gives me a sense of there being life and continuation of life. Sounds kind of cheesy I know but it's just what suits me. Even in winter when most of the trees are bare (except for the furs, which are beautiful especially when covered with snow like they are now) and the grass and most plants are dormant....the woodsiness is just more appealing to me. The crunch of the leaves that have fallen from autumn on the ground and everything. Don't think I could live in an area that was largely devoid of trees, or deciduous trees. I don't think I'd be happy living in most of the US west of the Mississippi river.
I agree with you about the need for trees, greenery and the change of seasons. I live in Missouri, which although it is obviously west of the Mississippi, is heavily forested with a great variety of trees. A little plug from our Department of Conservation:

Missouri Forest Facts | Missouri Department of Conservation

I don't think I'd want to live any further west than Missouri for that reason. I have a sister that fled Missouri for New Mexico and loves it, but she admittedly doesn't like it green and lush. I need that in the Spring and Summer and I need the changing colors in the Fall.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I agree with you about the need for trees, greenery and the change of seasons. I live in Missouri, which although it is obviously west of the Mississippi, is heavily forested with a great variety of trees. A little plug from our Department of Conservation:

Missouri Forest Facts | Missouri Department of Conservation

I don't think I'd want to live any further west than Missouri for that reason. I have a sister that fled Missouri for New Mexico and loves it, but she admittedly doesn't like it green and lush. I need that in the Spring and Summer and I need the changing colors in the Fall.
Well, the Mississippi has never really been thought of as the barrier between forested and none-forested areas.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
The older I get, the more I appreciate just about any kind of terrain or level of forestation.
I prefer lots of trees.
Geographically, northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Maine are my favorites. Trees, hills, lakes, the occasional small mountain....

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,693 times
Forests are far better than dry landscapes.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
I like Greenery, Most of the East Coast, south and midwest East of the plains and West Coast.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times
I need green. The desert is starkly beautiful ad I've enjoyed my visits to the South West, but I could never ever live there year round.

Lush, verdant hills, trees and many flowers say "life" to me in so many ways.

I also like a water source nearby. I don't care if it's the ocean or a large lake.

So I guess I'm not a desert guy.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I like a combination of forests interspersed with farms and pastures. Needs to be green.
I'm with you.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
There are a lot of different landscapes in the US and I was just wondering what everybody preferred.

Ever since I was little I have always like the desert. I live in a forested area in Washington and have always liked the semi-desert area/farm of Eastern Washington where I visited my grandparents and cousins. My reasoning is because there wasn't as many trees. I think forests are beautiful and I love them, but for some reason I have always liked places where there wasn't many trees. Maybe the weather has something to do with it, or I just like being able to see wide open spaces, I don't know. Anyway, which do you like prefer?
The only type of landscaping that I really DON'T like is mountains. Otherwise, I love the wide open plains of Oklahoma, Kansas, Eastern Colorado.

I also like Missouri, although I do prefer the flat portions to the more mountainous portions, even though I live in the Ozarks, which is truly beautiful.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,906 times
I'm with the OP. Desert landscapes offer the best views IMO. Followed by mountains. Driving into Vegas at night on US-93 gave a stunning view, and both Arizona and Nevada looked great at all times of day. I got so used to driving on I-20 and I-75 in the Southeast that trees just became boring to me. Favorite interstate to drive is definitely I-17; It's a lot easier to drive when you can see all the way to the horizon and not just tree after tree after tree after tree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.