Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You're mistaken, it has an openness compared to the rest of Minnesota. Duluth, as I've always said, is more similar to the lower midwest, like Detroit and Cleveland (which, with its iron ore, were cities it was strongly connected to). But I'm not surprised that you would make that comment, since most Minnesotans think that the whole country should be just like them.
And I live in Cleveland (am from MN) and it's not a friendly city -- at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
I am friends with this one Chinese American guy, he is about 5"10 or so, well spoken, athletic build, and dresses very stylish (GQ worshiper). Many months ago (March) he had a good job offer to work in Duluth, Minnesota, he used to live in California before moving there. Well, my friend is a guy who loves to flirt and hit on a lot of women at bars. In California, he had decent results, here and there he would meet up with some decent looking women in his league but never really better looking than him (and he is a decent looking dude, no homo).

Well, I noticed a few months back that he hooked up with this beautiful gorgeous Blonde who looks somewhat like Hayden Panetierre (girl off Nashville).

So when he visited us back in December, we talked for a bit and he told me about how much success he has had with women in Minnesota.

Now my friend is the type of who when he does bad with women on a certain day, he will say he messed up big time and has done bad. He even jokes about not being able to attract beautiful women in NYC.

In talking to him about his stay in Minnesota, he told me how women approached him at Starbucks, asked him to come sit with them, often commented on his looks when he was standing in line at restaurants, and he has had it "exponentially" easier meeting and hooking up with attractive women outside of his own race. At one point he showed me some pictures of his time in North Dakota (yes they were dirty pictures) and he said that he noticed he would walk into a restaurant and women would look in his direction and smile.

The one thing he commented on was how women were "intrigued" by a Westernized and well spoken Asian guy there and were often curious about his culture. He said he never experienced that in California at all, all he did experience about his Asian heritage are women saying he isn't their "type". In Minnesota and North Dakota, he said that women would talk to him, smile, give him eye contact, and within a few days he would be sleeping with them (and he provided pictures). Then he said in his time at the clubs, when Gangam Style was played, women would try to dance with him.

Now to an extent this would come as a shock to a person but I want to know what you guys think.

I mean I believe him but it still shocks me that he is doing good with women in states where people say there isn't "diversity" and yet in California, a "liberal" state, he has complained about women negatively stereotyping him for his appearance.
Seriously????
Who are said "people"?

Yes California, a diverse, open and educated world exists outside your borders.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

153 posts, read 433,514 times
actually the point of this thread was to prove that where there isn't diversity, a man who is Asian (race of men the hip young crowd somehow views as unattractive) can truly excel and be viewed as exotic

Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM

But there are Asians in MN.....higher % than the national avg, anyways.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
I am friends with this one Chinese American guy, he is about 5"10 or so, well spoken, athletic build, and dresses very stylish (GQ worshiper). Many months ago (March) he had a good job offer to work in Duluth, Minnesota, he used to live in California before moving there. Well, my friend is a guy who loves to flirt and hit on a lot of women at bars. In California, he had decent results, here and there he would meet up with some decent looking women in his league but never really better looking than him (and he is a decent looking dude, no homo).

Well, I noticed a few months back that he hooked up with this beautiful gorgeous Blonde who looks somewhat like Hayden Panetierre (girl off Nashville).

So when he visited us back in December, we talked for a bit and he told me about how much success he has had with women in Minnesota.

Now my friend is the type of who when he does bad with women on a certain day, he will say he messed up big time and has done bad. He even jokes about not being able to attract beautiful women in NYC.

In talking to him about his stay in Minnesota, he told me how women approached him at Starbucks, asked him to come sit with them, often commented on his looks when he was standing in line at restaurants, and he has had it "exponentially" easier meeting and hooking up with attractive women outside of his own race. At one point he showed me some pictures of his time in North Dakota (yes they were dirty pictures) and he said that he noticed he would walk into a restaurant and women would look in his direction and smile.

The one thing he commented on was how women were "intrigued" by a Westernized and well spoken Asian guy there and were often curious about his culture. He said he never experienced that in California at all, all he did experience about his Asian heritage are women saying he isn't their "type". In Minnesota and North Dakota, he said that women would talk to him, smile, give him eye contact, and within a few days he would be sleeping with them (and he provided pictures). Then he said in his time at the clubs, when Gangam Style was played, women would try to dance with him.

Now to an extent this would come as a shock to a person but I want to know what you guys think.

I mean I believe him but it still shocks me that he is doing good with women in states where people say there isn't "diversity" and yet in California, a "liberal" state, he has complained about women negatively stereotyping him for his appearance.
translation: "I can't get laid here in California, is there a chance in hades that if I show up in some off the wall place that I know nothing about, the native women will see me as some ethnic freak that they will want to take me to bed?"

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
translation: "I can't get laid here in California, is there a chance in hades that if I show up in some off the wall place that I know nothing about, the native women will see me as some ethnic freak that they will want to take me to bed?"
answer: Yes

Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
California is a suasage fest unless you are somewhere inland. A ton of dudes looking for a limited supply of women. And California girls are not exactly known for their down to earth qualities. A lot of vain and superficial women flock to the California coast or are born there. In MN you get a lot of down to earth, "girl next door", types of women.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Dear Penthouse Forum:

I was visiting Duluth, Minnesota, and you'll never believe what happened to me! She was a young, innocent Scandinavian looking blond sitting at the bar with her perky nipples visible under the tight t-shirt she was wearing, when I noticed her looking my way with a coy look on her beautiful young face...

Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Dear Penthouse Forum:

I was visiting Duluth, Minnesota, and you'll never believe what happened to me! She was a young, innocent Scandinavian looking blond sitting at the bar with her perky nipples visible under the tight t-shirt she was wearing, when I noticed her looking my way with a coy look on her beautiful young face...

Go on....

Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoresoxgo View Post
california is a suasage fest unless you are somewhere inland. A ton of dudes looking for a limited supply of women. and california girls are not exactly known for their down to earth qualities. A lot of vain and superficial women flock to the california coast or are born there. in mn you get a lot of down to earth, "girl next door", types of women.
so true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.