Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Does thinking about your city bring you strong emotions, do you long for your city when you're away from it, do you find yourself comparing other cities to your own, and find that none can give you what your city can? If so you might be in love with your city, I know I am. I fell in love with my city, Cleveland, several years ago, even though I grew up in the Cleveland suburbs, when I discovered all the ethnic and historical wonders that lied in the city itself, and the wonderful warmth of the city's people. I have been wanting to be here for good ever since. I'm sure there are others here who are like me. What's your story, do you love your city and why?
Very passionate about the town I live in. I remember talking to someone when I first moved here who was a passive person, but she said it was the first time she could understand someone "fighting for their land" when she first moved here.

It's an incredibly beautiful area with some very unique features and interesting people. I am extremely passionate about my town and love to promote it when I can. It's got a personality to go with the beauty, and a moodiness to go with the seasons. It;s rather large in area (one of the largest in the world) with an ice field, tidewater, bears, mountain goats, humpback whales, sea lions..that share residence with us, at least on occasion. I had to leave for a few years and got very sick, and remember my mother telling me that I needed to go back to Juneau in order to be well again. She was right.

Last edited by takuriver; 01-13-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM

148 posts, read 238,840 times
Default just thought id add...

So what Im super guilty. but its alright.

While on my recent 1 month vacation to see my family in sydney, when i was on their train while riding from downtown circular quay by the opera house and harbour bridge back to paramatta/7 hills/blacktown... there i was flippin through pics of the chi on my htc... almost an instant conversation starter to anyone who norticed... especially other girls.

Anytime i was in line at some tourist attraction id get questions all the time from the other visitors and australian natives about where Im from and what does chicago look like? when id show them pics of streeterville and look-down shots from the el in the loop, or walking around rush and division or belmont harbor, 10 out of 10 were blown away saying they didnt think chicago was 'like that' with the beachlife or vibrant nightlife or downtown sidewalk cafes, a busy inland harbor or an overhead train that could take you around from one side of the CBD to the other without ever touching the ground, or how super clean it looked. They just thought all of chicago was one massive sea of buildings forever stretching out on flat ground next to a small lake, and that the trains were like nyc subway only operating underground with rats trash and vagrants.

I love changing other peoples minds and DELETE the gang warfare hood vs hood beautiful but violent ghetto steryotype - Id venture to guess some of the other well to do travelers that i came across will probably visit here based upon their reactions...

All the while secretly craving a hotdog at gene and judes or someplace like that or thinkin what funny piece of lawn furniture or childs toy i could use to call dibs if snow would ever fall...lol

Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
I might actually be burned out on Charlotte right now

Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I've fallen out of love with Chicago but we are best friends now.

For the first two years of marriage, it was a perfect union. Constantly meeting new transplants who where progressive sophisticated and educated. I was like a kid in a candy store with the restaurants and tons of culture. My neighborhood was a place I could relate to on a personal level. Chicago seemed to be the one that got things done.

Then I noticed my love was a liar and a thief and wasnt nearly as cultured and sophisticated as i thought. When i moved to the west part of Lakeview I found my spouse had a dark side that it wanted to cover up called racism, segregation and crooked politics. She stole some of my greatest assets like my skyway, parking meters and now my fare collection for my CTA. She is always broke but she's a millionaire. That's when I found the thieving witch was no good.

Chicago is like a wealthy witch that won't change her ways. But there again, she makes me a lot of money because she is good for my career.

Chicago and I will always remain best friends but the honeymoon is over.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
This question is unnecessary for someone living in San Francisco.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

136 posts, read 244,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
not even close. it is dark 16 hours a day in the winter and during the daytime there is 1 sunny day per month, the rest is it completely overcast and raining. all day every day, no joke. they just passed the law to legalize gay marriage and marijuana, 40 to 50% of the population is asian, and i reiterate there is never any sunlight here.

I am in love with the summer weather however. it's also close to great ski resorts and there is a lot to do if you look. there is solid industry and the local economy is pretty good. it's also a great area for small businesses and startups.
If you don't like marijuana, don't smoke it.
If you don't like gay marriage, date people of the opposite sex.

What do either of these things have to do with you.

And if you don't like Asians, move to Montana, practically everyone there are white and heterosexual.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Actually the complete opposite. I am having a difficult time finding things to love or even like about where I live.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Nope... Dallas is a very bland place that doesn't inspire much emotion either way.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 PM

249 posts, read 443,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Yes, I'm in love. I knew I really liked Nashville, but this summer, after 13 years of living here, I realized it was true love. My husband was changing jobs and we didn't think we were going to be able to stay. After looking at several other nice cities and exploring the houses/schools/cities, we can home more determined to ever to stay in Nashville, even though we could make more somewhere else.
It's a great mix of size, amenties, creativity, etc. We live in a wealthy suburb, but it's not all boring doctors and lawyer types. There are tons of creative people as well, and I love that. Our neighbor gave us her new CD for Christmas. Another friend gave me her new children's album when I kept her son for a few hours. Nicole Kidman was in our Mommy and Me class, Joe Don Rooney's son (Rascal Flatts) was in our gymnastics class, Trace Adkins girls go to our public school, Scott Hamilton seems to be every where, Brad Paisley and Kimberly Williams were sitting close to us at a recent church service, etc, etc. You just don't have those constant creative encounters every else.
And it's absolutely gorgeous here, rolling hills, water, historic homes scattered around.
It is absolutely love. We turned down more money for love.

But...I can get all of that and more if I open this week's National Enquirer.

I don't see the advantage..

Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM

267 posts, read 578,999 times
I do love DC.

Small but big city feel with lots of great amenities
Not too overwhelming
Walkable
Great transportation
Lots to do!
Rapidly changing and improving everyday

Great city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.