Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

21 posts, read 69,115 times

Advertisements

I want to leave my home state Mississippi to attend college up north, especially in the Midwest.

I know there are differences between the Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest. As a very friendly and outgoing southerner with a strong southern accent, I am concerned about being an outcast and not being able to make friends. I am very open to new places but I do not want too much of a change with the exception of climate. I hope I am making sense in what I want for my new location.

Which part of the Midwest would be better for my personality?

I am currently thinking about Minneapolis, Madison, and Columbus, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiGuy View Post
I want to leave my home state Mississippi to attend college up north, especially in the Midwest.

I know there are differences between the Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest. As a very friendly and outgoing southerner with a strong southern accent, I am concerned about being an outcast and not being able to make friends. I am very open to new places but I do not want too much of a change with the exception of climate. I hope I am making sense in what I want for my new location.

All three of these are very different cities with differences not really specific to those between the Upper and Lower Midwest so much as a function of city size and how strongly the large colleges in the three dominate the culture (Minneapolis very little for the most part, Columbus pretty strongly, Madison quite a bit). I might consider more what you intend to do in college and which college has the best program for your field along with how costly tuition and living expenses could be. Really, all three of these could be fine choices for the right person and I don't think there's too much specific to anything you mentioned that should help decide this.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM

21 posts, read 69,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
All three of these are very different cities with differences not really specific to those between the Upper and Lower Midwest so much as a function of city size and how strongly the large colleges in the three dominate the culture (Minneapolis very little for the most part, Columbus pretty strongly, Madison quite a bit). I might consider more what you intend to do in college and which college has the best program for your field along with how costly tuition and living expenses could be. Really, all three of these could be fine choices for the right person and I don't think there's too much specific to anything you mentioned that should help decide this.
Thanks for your opinion. Actually, all universities in these three cities have my major. That's why I chose them.

I would say that universities in MN and WI are more expensive than the one in Ohio. I also believe that Columbus has the lowest cost of living of all.

I am just more concerned about Ohio economy after I graduate. Ohio historically has always been associated with bad economy. I am still uncertain about the friendliness of Ohioans because I have encountered a few Ohioans in my life. Every one of them was not friendly with negative attitudes!

I know Minneapolis and Madison are doing well economically. However, I am afraid I wouldn't fit in as a southerner. I might be seen as too forwarding and personal to most Midwesterners because that's how friendly the southerners are. We talk just about anything!

The Twin Cities probably has more to do and to enjoy than Madison and Columbus combined!

Can anyone describe how most Ohioans are based on personal experience?

Do you think Columbus is still a better fit for me as a southerner with my personality as described above?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Ohioians are very friendly open to diversity. Somewhat socially liberal and more towards dem. Great universities. The economy is awesome right now everything is booming especially in cincy, columbus and cleveland. Unemployment is going down. Cheap cities to live in. Very nice cities...i could go on and on

Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Thanks for your opinion. Actually, all universities in these three cities have my major. That's why I chose them.

I would say that universities in MN and WI are more expensive than the one in Ohio. I also believe that Columbus has the lowest cost of living of all.

I am just more concerned about Ohio economy after I graduate. Ohio historically has always been associated with bad economy. I am still uncertain about the friendliness of Ohioans because I have encountered a few Ohioans in my life. Every one of them was not friendly with negative attitudes!

I know Minneapolis and Madison are doing well economically. However, I am afraid I wouldn't fit in as a southerner. I might be seen as too forwarding and personal to most Midwesterners because that's how friendly the southerners are. We talk just about anything!

The Twin Cities probably has more to do and to enjoy than Madison and Columbus combined!

Can anyone describe how most Ohioans are based on personal experience?

Do you think Columbus is still a better fit for me as a southerner with my personality as described above?
A state is pretty large and populous with a lot of internal variation. While Ohio's economy might not be doing so great overall (though it's not so bad compared to the rest of the nation nowadays), Columbus is actually a bright spot and has seen continued and steady growth over the years. I know people only from smaller towns/suburbs/cities in northeast Ohio and some people who went to college in Columbus. They all seemed pretty friendly to me, though the northeast Ohio people seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder (still friendly enough).

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:

There will be a big change from Mississippi. However, given your wish to make friends, Columbus is very friendly and has a great economy. Columbus is the most family friendly and welcoming in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,376,356 times
all three are great cities. Can you handle harsh winters? If not, Columbus is a better fit. and southern Ohions can often have a little southern twang...accent wise, you'd stick out much less than in MN or WI.

Madison btw, has tons of Chicagoans, so even though it's the smallest city of the three, it actually has more of a big-city pace in terms of the students imo.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Going to college anywhere is a catalyst for making friends. I can't imagine you'll have issues with that in any of these three cities. I have college friends from Louisiana, Texas, and Georgia who have all had fabulous experiences in the Midwest. Also, Ohio State, UW Madison, and U of M are all gigantic and attract people from all over the country and the world.

Culturally, all three are a huge change from Mississippi. It's different in a lot of subtle ways and you may wind up with some culture shock and homesickness for a while (don't let that discourage you though, you'll of course get used to it).

Of the three cities specifically, Minneapolis is the biggest by a very big margin so naturally it has the most amenities and goings on, and it's also a national center for arts and culture. Madison similarly is the smallest by quite a lot, but its proximity to Chicago and Milwaukee makes a difference and it is itself a vibrant college town. Columbus is a thriving middle-of-the-road city with a lot going on and a bright future.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Definitely less culture shock in Columbus, OH. The accent down there has a southern twang to my Upper Midwestern ears. There is a "college football above all else" mentality, similar to the deep south. I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase "I reckon" is commonly used in Columbus.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

383 posts, read 512,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Definitely less culture shock in Columbus, OH. The accent down there has a southern twang to my Upper Midwestern ears. There is a "college football above all else" mentality, similar to the deep south. I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase "I reckon" is commonly used in Columbus.
It's obvious that your post is based on a state rivalry rather than truth.
To the OP: I have lived in Columbus for 9 years and I have only encountered a handful of people who have a southern accent. Most Ohioans have a neutral accent. Overall Columbus will come across warm and friendly and there will always be a few rude and ignorant people.
Any of the three metros would be a fine choice, don't let others steer you away with their negative views.
Honestly an internet forum is not the best way to choose because it is only one person's opinion. If possible, it is best to explore in person to see what city and school you like the best. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.