Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I stopped visiting the Texas board because every time I go in there with an honest, less popular opinion, everyone has to attack me like I just committed a murder. Usually they use some BS like "well you're from California so of course you'd think that". I go to Austin about once a month, it's my 2nd home really.
Wow! You too?! I lived in Texas for five years. I made my life long friends there. I enjoyed the culture, the people, the attitude, the food, everything. I'm not a person that would have much negative things to say about that state. Well little did I know that since I now live in Florida, apparently my opinions on the state of Texas hold no water and are considered baseless by most. I made several threads to innocently ask several questions I had about the culture only to get sarcastic, insulting, and condescending responses in return. Now I sort of see why Texas gets the reputation it does for it's backwater ignorant hick population. I felt so deceived and disrespected. That never ever happened when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
To be honest, sometimes, but not much. I only visit sites that interest me. And I can probably name them on one hand.

However, I love Google Earth, as I feel I can take a google-vacation anytime. Of course, it is not the same as being there, but it it is close. Google Earth is one of the greatest inventions of our time. To be able to place yourself just about anywhere in the world is incredible. For those under the age of 30, this was not possible just a decade ago.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ Convict View Post
If something catches my eye in the 'last post' column. Certain threads in Alaska have caught my attention that way. Alaska has a bunch of interesting curmudgeons.

I also find myself reading a Mississippi thread now and then. A state so vilified must have some real undiscovered, unappreciated qualities so it always fascinated me.
I do this as well. I may ask a question about a city with which I am not familiar. I haven't been to too many cities so I am curious about them. I like to read about other people's opinions and descriptions so I can learn about them. There are some cities that I would like to visit thanks to what I have read on CD.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wow! You too?! I lived in Texas for five years. I made my life long friends there. I enjoyed the culture, the people, the attitude, the food, everything. I'm not a person that would have much negative things to say about that state. Well little did I know that since I now live in Florida, apparently my opinions on the state of Texas hold no water and are considered baseless by most. I made several threads to innocently ask several questions I had about the culture only to get sarcastic, insulting, and condescending responses in return. Now I sort of see why Texas gets the reputation it does for it's backwater ignorant hick population. I felt so deceived and disrespected. That never ever happened when I lived there.
I know what you mean. I see that too often. There is a fine line between being proud and being arrogant that too many people on the Texas forums have crossed. Also, they will dismiss Austin as not really "Texas" and, therefore, people from there have no meaningful opinion.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I check in on the NC forum every once in a while because I used to live there. It has tamed down quite a bit from the earlier days of C-D. Back in those days when I still lived down there there but was planning on leaving to return to Upstate NY...everyone and their mom (literally) from Long Island, New Jersey, and Florida were giddy with glee on their move to NC as if it were the land of milk and honey. Needless to say there was some tension there and a lot of very, very vocal future or recent transplants to the area that came up with some pretty wild accusations towards me. Again, it has tamed down quite a bit now as NC mania has waned in the northeast since the recession. I am still interested in seeing what's going on down there and I still know a lot about the geography/schools/neighborhoods in the triangle area so I leave a comment every now and then.

Like others have said; if a "last post" thread title catches my eyes from a random state I ordinarily have no interest in, I'll click on it and see what's going on.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I have occasionally. I always wanted to visit Alaska, and I've seen some interesting threads and photos posted by the Alaska regulars, so I stop in there every so often. I hope to get there someday.

On the other hand, I also always wanted to visit Hawaii, but after reading threads on the Hawaii forum, I changed my mind. I had no idea that outsiders, including tourists, were so disdained, and now that I know what they really think of us, I would never spend a dime there. They like to throw in the excuse that outsiders are often rude, but it sounds as if the default attitude is that outsiders and tourists are dirt to them. I asked a friend of mine who has gone to Hawaii a few times, and she said that she did encounter that very nastiness--and oddly enough, in the larger cities and not the less developed areas.

I also visited some other state forums from time to time when things were going on in the news--the tornadoes in Missouri and other states last year, for example.

I also have enjoyed visiting other states and cities via City-Data as a result of posts--for example, I never thought much of Cleveland, but when someone on the US forum was talking about it, I went and looked at threads and photos of Cleveland, and that's a place I think I would like to visit. And it's really not that far from New Jersey.

And I do the same thing as others if I happen to see an interesting "last post" on another state forum.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Occasionally. I will stop by on a city forum when i see a interesting title for a thread. I was just reading the cleveland forum about annexing a suburb.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
Coming from the Oregon/Washington Forums I think it is real fun sometimes to just surf the other states forums just to see what is happening throughout the nation

This site I think is awesome for that reason.

Also if you are a regular contributor to your state forum does it seem like you know all the regulars like friends almost?
I check the neighboring states forums as well as states that I have lived in the past and sometimes ones that I have visited often.

I recognize the user ids of the people that post regularly on the NYC forum (which is separate from the NY State forum).

Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
I might surf other state forums, but not post.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
They get very defensive on the Texas forums even when you bring out constructive criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.