Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

I can see Houston becoming the next "black mecca" before it matches Atlanta with the gay black scene. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Not happening.

Houston will not be a black mecca, its gaining too much all around.

It will also never be as big for the black gays.

The black guys here are more masculine.

Even the gay blacks in dallas are more fru fru than Houston.

Houston has a huge black gay population but they rarely go all out like they do in Atl.

even for big events in Houston like Splash, you will find more gay guys from DFW and other parts of Texas than from Houston.

Houston gay blk guys are getting more fashionable though.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM

LOL. We know Houston won't be a black mecca. I was being sarcastic.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LOL. We know Houston won't be a black mecca. I was being sarcastic.
You would like it the next two weekends though. This weekend kicks of the Mardi gras celebrations in Galveston. Lots of people coming into town. The next weekend is the all star game. Lots of people coming for that. And we know how you love celebrities, there are going to be tons of celeb parties.

Dunno why people generally think other cities are slouches in black entertainment.
There is lots going on outside Atlanta

Www.allstarweekendinhouston2013.com

Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM

354 posts, read 784,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Compared to those in Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc... no, they don't have power.

I never said it did, and don't you ever try to tell me how things happened in a place I am from. Are we clear about that? I said it happened DURING the Great Migration, not at the start of it.

How? Because for starters, in both cities, blacks are a subset of the population, not their own established communities.

What kind of black culture is coming out of either city? From what I can tell, it's either the Tyler Perry, BET, Diddy, "black" culture that sells its own people out to white kids from the suburbs or the middle class, young professional black culture that's more about the individual or the individual family. The latter is fine but it still doesn't make real communities. That's the difference. The black culture in cities like Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc is one that comes from the communities. I know of course that cities like Atlanta and DC have black neighborhoods and black communities, but not in the same way.

People arguing over population numbers when it comes to this really kind of annoy me. A group can have as many numbers as they like, but that won't make them a real community.
what???? Black people/culture/politics runs DC. DC has never NOT had a black mayor. and please explain who has the power in dc if its not the DC city government?

and elaborate on the bolded statement. im not understanding

Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You would like it the next two weekends though. This weekend kicks of the Mardi gras celebrations in Galveston. Lots of people coming into town. The next weekend is the all star game. Lots of people coming for that. And we know how you love celebrities, there are going to be tons of celeb parties.
I didn't know Galveston had a Mardi Gras celebration; pretty cool. I'd like to make it to Mobile this weekend myself, but won't be able to. Might have to make up for it by hitting up Savannah for St. Patty's Day.

Quote:
Dunno why people generally think other cities are slouches in black entertainment.
I'm not sure if anyone in this thread really said or implied such. At most, there was a sort of ranking with Houston being a solid 2nd tier city in this regard--which is more than can be said for most other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
what???? Black people/culture/politics runs DC. DC has never NOT had a black mayor. and please explain who has the power in dc if its not the DC city government?

and elaborate on the bolded statement. im not understanding
He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. He couldn't even explain the supposed difference between DC/Atlanta and Philly/Detroit/Chicago, etc. in this regard. I mean DC has had a significant Black population since the Civil War era, long before the Great Migration occurred.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Www.allstarweekendinhouston2013.com
I would love to come down but Houston will host it again and I will be there. lol. IDK why people think that Atlanta is the sole city where black entertainment is alive and that's so beneath me because we all know the truth. I went to Houston and was in total shock because I couldn't believe that it was like Atlanta as far as blacks because I was thinking it was going to be Mexicans after Mexicans after Mexicans. I'm not exaggerating. Blacks were everywhere. The Grand Luxe Cafe was about 80% black that Saturday night I had gone. People put Atlanta too high for black culture and forget that there are way more places that have top of the line black culture. People tend to forget that Houston is home to 2 of the largest HBCUs in the nation. I really think AllStar will most definitely put Houston's secret out as a great city that has great black culture. I'm just saying. No I'm not in love with Houston; I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

Here's another site for AllStar, HtownLove...(black events)
:: All Star 2013 Events & Parties :: inDmix.com ::

Looking at this website, Houston is on par with Atlanta.

I agree with yall that Houston doesn't touch Atlanta's gay black nightlife since that's what Atlanta is known for. It's self-explanatory.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 02-05-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Seattle has a lot of black people. I saw two this month on my way home from work.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle has a lot of black people. I saw two this month on my way home from work.
Yeah i saw one at starbucks and another at the cafe at Nordstrom. Wow

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.