Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree with you, but the SWAC is more popular when it comes to bands (it's subjective though).
OK, I'll give you bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, I'll give you bands.
I don't need your validation.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I know it's silly, but TSU has more students than Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark Atlanta combined so one can conclude that TSU has more pull/influence than one of the Atlanta schools. PV also has more students than those colleges combined. So no one can deny Houston's HBCU presence. Also, TSU and PV are within the most popular athletic conference in the HBCU world, SWAC.
Also, of course local schools will have more pull locally; that's not in debate. But the AUC (along with Howard, Fisk, Xavier, etc.) has a national pull on Blacks that TSU and PVAM don't have. The impact of AUC alumni on Black America is pretty damn huge.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Also, of course local schools will have more pull locally; that's not in debate. But the AUC (along with Howard, Fisk, Xavier, etc.) has a national pull on Blacks that TSU and PVAM don't have. The impact of AUC alumni on Black America is pretty damn huge.
Yea, especially historically!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
A pull and a presence are two different things. Rice has a stronger pull on national students than UH but UH had the bigger presence.

TSU and PV are big fishes in a huge pond on this side of the US. Spelman et al are huge fish in a crowded pond.

In other words on the east coast there are many options as to HBCUs. In the central part of the US there is basically NOLA AND HOUSTON. therefore TSU had a presence in that for a lot of people its the only option near home.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
A pull and a presence are two different things. Rice has a stronger pull on national students than UH but UH had the bigger presence.

TSU and PV are big fishes in a huge pond on this side of the US. Spelman et al are huge fish in a crowded pond.

In other words on the east coast there are many options as to HBCUs. In the central part of the US there is basically NOLA AND HOUSTON. therefore TSU had a presence in that for a lot of people its the only option near home.
I gotcha--although the options open up a bit if you include the rest of LA (Southern, etc.), AR, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Your assertions about the black pride and the draw that Atlanta has are incorrect . .
Sorry buddy but
1. For my assertion to be wrong i must first make an assertion. Never mentioned atl pride. That's your thing, i don't do parades
2. You totally missed the point of what i was saying

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I gotcha--although the options open up a bit if you include the rest of LA (Southern, etc.), AR, etc.
Still not as much as on the east.
I think that is why TSU and PV are so big.
They mean a lot to the black students in a 500 mile radius because there are few other HBCU options, and thus they men a lot to the area. Their presence is strong.

This is what Staysean was failing to comprehend in going on that long rant about London, and Canada,etc. It seems that when someone mentions something that Houston is great at, you guys seem to interpret it as begin better than ATL.
I mentioned an event as an example and he went on to say how atls was bigger. Atl might be bigger but because there are zero events of the like in other cities around Houston the presence is huge.

take the airport in Denver for example. Denver is no where near a match in terms of domestic flights as NY, but Denver airport has more if a presence in the west because in NY itself there are 3 airports competing with each other, there is another in philly two in boston, three in the Dc balt area. More connections, flights etc for NY, but the Denver airport has the bigger presence because there aint shiiid else for hundred of miles.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Sorry buddy but
1. For my assertion to be wrong i must first make an assertion. Never mentioned atl pride. That's your thing, i don't do parades
2. You totally missed the point of what i was saying
Sorry but this is what you said...

For Gay activities in Texas like Splash, we draw people from as far as Oklahoma. Large numbers come down from DFW. ATLs scene is big and imp to ATL and the near neighbors but it is not as important to a wide distance as it is here in Houston. ATL has big competition from DC, Miami, Baltimore Charlotte, etc etc. For Black culture DFW doesn't have the same impact that Houston does. You would have to go as far as NOLA to find the closest competition and that is pretty far.

And then I responded with

Gays from NC Tenn SC Alabama and North Fl stay coming here on a daily because Atlanta is within 3 to 4 hours reach ..As a pride attendee and someone who has worked with the pride committee of the largest gay pride gathering in the US ..Atlanta for the last decade has been drawing blacks from overseas such as London France and Canada. Almost 80,000 gays from around the world and US come here.

Now Atlanta black pride is the equivalent to splash there both circuit parties.. There are no parades during black pride. Splash has never scene those kinds of numbers and they surely aren't pulling people from other countries either like that either. The presence and the pull in Atlanta's black Gay Community stretches a lot further whether its a big event or just a regular weekend. The closest competition is DC and its 9 hours away. Charlotte isn't competition as i said before they don't even really have a scene like that.

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-22-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Still not as much as on the east.
I think that is why TSU and PV are so big.
They mean a lot to the black students in a 500 mile radius because there are few other HBCU options, and thus they men a lot to the area. Their presence is strong.
I understand where you're coming from. And they're public schools also, right? That plays into it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.