Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Great history! I can see Houston going until the 20% range but definitely not the 50% range!
I think the percentage will stay in the same general percentage. The US as a whole is getting more hispanic. No metro is really getting blacker. Not even atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think the percentage will stay in the same general percentage. The US as a whole is getting more hispanic. No metro is really getting blacker. Not even atlanta.
They're about to go get you.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Why? It's a pretty well-informed statement based on the stats. Certainly Atlanta will increase its population of Blacks in terms of raw numbers, but I don't see the overall percentages changing that much.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM

It was a joke.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,777 times
Quote:
Really? I'm not trying to be "that guy," but do you have recent data for that? I have read the opposite. The general consensus is that the US will also become blacker, as well as more asian, hispanic, and mixed-race. As I understand it, non-hispanic whites will still enjoy plurality, but other groups will definitely grow in both raw numbers and percentages, including blacks.

This also makes sense.

Most blacks live in the South, a region (similar to the Midwest) that has a (deserved) reputation for being more lenient and open to child-rearing, as opposed to some other regions. A big reason for the general dip worldwide for birth rates is women being more than child-bearers, yet in the South it is still perfectly acceptable for a woman to be a stay at home mom, which is conducive to having more children. Also, blacks are now a solidly middle class race. That, mixed with the region, allows for the possibility of more children, due to the ability to both HAVE and RAISE children.

Also, if the last census was any indicator, the already "Black" South is becoming even more black, with blacks from other regions, especially the West, are moving to the South in record numbers. This would mean, by law of common sense, that indeed there ARE metro areas that are and will continue to "darken."

Lastly, we must not forget immigrants. Texas already has the largest Nigerian-American pop. in the US, and chain migration is real. I think with the growth of African countries, we will see more immigrants from Africa, further increasing the black population.

Here are some stats I've taken from the web:

African Immigrants in America: A Demographic Overview | Immigration Policy Center

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/...igrationus.pdf

African American Population Demographics

Growth rate for black population surpasses U.S. average - The Business Journals

US Black Population Growing Three Times Faster Than Whites

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele.../cb12-243.html

Black Population Moving South | Adweek

Blacks' exodus reshapes cities - USATODAY.com

If you notice, the 2010 Census stated that the AA pop. constituted around 12.5% of the GenAmer pop. Now it is the beginning of 2013, and the black pop. is believed to be just above 14% already, and expected, like all other groups to grow in raw numbers...

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

405 posts, read 822,681 times
Quote:
Houston has over a million blacks. That's a whole lot of chocolate. Only NY, CHICAGO, ATL, DC, MIAMI AND PHILLY can say they do too. That is quite an achievement. Any city with a million or more blacks Has a black presense. LA is twice as large but has fewer blacks than Houston. The CSAs of San Jose and Boston are 15 to 30% larger than Houston and yet has 30% less blacks.
You are naming mostly cities that already have millions of residents in their city and/or metro anyway, so of course many of them are going to have up to a million blacks or more by default. It's the PERCENTAGE that makes the difference, though. Houston---even with over a million blacks---still only has about a 30% overall black population. But take a city that's predominately black like Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, (and I'd even throw ATL in there these days), etc. and watch its quality of life drop. Sorry, but it's true.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
You are naming mostly cities that already have millions of residents in their city and/or metro anyway, so of course many of them are going to have up to a million blacks or more by default. It's the PERCENTAGE that makes the difference, though. Houston---even with over a million blacks---still only has about a 30% overall black population. But take a city that's predominately black like Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis, (and I'd even throw ATL in there these days), etc. and watch its quality of life drop. Sorry, but it's true.
That has nothing at all to do with the subject of the thread, so what's the point in even mentioning this? Take it to the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Most blacks live in the South, a region (similar to the Midwest) that has a (deserved) reputation for being more lenient and open to child-rearing, as opposed to some other regions. A big reason for the general dip worldwide for birth rates is women being more than child-bearers, yet in the South it is still perfectly acceptable for a woman to be a stay at home mom, which is conducive to having more children. Also, blacks are now a solidly middle class race. That, mixed with the region, allows for the possibility of more children, due to the ability to both HAVE and RAISE children.
You're really overstating the whole "stay-at-home" mom thing. I'm from the rural South, and that's more of an exception than the norm. In terms of us being more middle class, that isn't really affecting birth rates one way or the other. If anything, the big hit Black America took during the recession and in its aftermath would argue against this.

Quote:
Also, if the last census was any indicator, the already "Black" South is becoming even more black, with blacks from other regions, especially the West, are moving to the South in record numbers. This would mean, by law of common sense, that indeed there ARE metro areas that are and will continue to "darken."
In raw numbers, of course more Blacks will move here, but so will other groups. That's why you're not going to see much in the way of percentage increases in terms of the Black populations of most sizable metros.

Quote:
Lastly, we must not forget immigrants. Texas already has the largest Nigerian-American pop. in the US, and chain migration is real. I think with the growth of African countries, we will see more immigrants from Africa, further increasing the black population.
This could possibly be a wild card. But if African immigrants are moving to metros that everyone else is moving to, like Houston and DC, you're still not going to see increases percentage-wise.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Hispanics and Asians are the fastest growing groups in the US. Houston and DFW were what the 2nd &3rd metros in raw gain of blacks last decade, and even then the percentage of blacks in both metros dropped.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM

I thought they had risen by a tad? Anyway, I can see Houston's percentage increase to atleast 19%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.