Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't even see DC gaining as much as Houston, DFW, or even Atlanta. I think its reputation for having a high cost of living kind of makes its chances a little smaller compared to the other 3. I think now, Houston and DFW are at the same level that Atlanta was in during the early 2000s as far its good economy, low cost of living, and abundance of jobs. All of these were huge reasons that played part in Atlanta' black population boom during that time. Now that Houston and DFW are getting more recognition, blacks are taking the metros into consideration for relocation. Due to this, I can definitely see Houston and DFW gaining more blacks than Atlanta this decade. I also feel that Houston will gain more since its known to be a little blacker than Dallas.
It hasn't been stopping overall domestic migration trends for the past few years. I've never heard of more people moving or trying to move to DC in my life, especially if they're trying to leave Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I know Houston is starting to get that reputation. Look at other forums and stuff. I feel like Houston is actually a surprise city for black relocation. Also, I think the AllStar games will definitely help Houston out (I know it's silly but it will help). Even when I visited Houston, it felt like Atlanta as far as black culture even though I knew that I was in a much more diverse city. I didn't feel deprived. Hey, we all have opinions but will definitely find out in 7 more years.
I think that culturally, Atlanta is still seen as top dog for Blacks. Houston has enough to keep folks satisfied (even if nightlife in particular isn't so comparable), but it's doing a lot better than Atlanta economically at the moment. So it's a bit of a trade-off.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
On another note Metro Atlanta needs to work on gaining back whites.
I don't think the city needs to actively try and lure a particular demographic; what caused Blacks to flock here en masse in the first place is because it was the most progressive city for miles around. That's also why it has a large gay population. The focus just needs to be on improving the quality of life across the board, including the job market.

But you already know that some people aren't going to consider a place if it's viewed as a place where only "certain people" move to/frequent--that goes for retail establishments, neighborhoods, schools, churches, etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that culturally, Atlanta is still seen as top dog for Blacks. Houston has enough to keep folks satisfied (even if nightlife in particular isn't so comparable), but it's doing a lot better than Atlanta economically at the moment. So it's a bit of a trade-off.
Houston's nightlife is comparable to Atlanta's AA nightlife. I've experienced both. Houston didn't seem watered down at all.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
To nip it in the bud. Houston's nightlife is not as popular as Atlanta's nightlife. But I will say that Houston's is definitely no slouch whatsoever. I think Atlanta has probably more upscale spots for Black Americans but again, Houston is no slouch either in this department. Atlanta is in the tier with DC and NYC. Houston is in that next tier with Chicago and Philadelphia. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Houston's nightlife is comparable to Atlanta's AA nightlife. I've experienced both. Houston didn't seem watered down at all.
There's a pretty distinct difference. As Spade said, Houston's nightlife for Blacks is no slouch, but it's not exactly comparable to Atlanta either. I remember chatting with someone from Houston who was here for something (I forget the weekend/event). I said, "You came here this weekend? I know Houston has nightlife for Black folks." He said, "Yeah it does, but not like Atlanta." I know it's just one anecdote, but still. But obviously, Houston doesn't need nightlife quite on that level to sustain healthy levels of Black migration.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
St.Louis up until the 1900's was not a city of any black presence. The city at its peak was 78% white and then 21% Black with maybe a 0.1% asian demographic. We have produced many famous black artists and musicians which shaped music across the country and produced some leaders of black orgin but St.Louis can not compete with most east coast cities.

NYC, Philly, Baltimore, D.C, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cleveland, Detroit maybe even houston are the african american meccas of america. St.Louis, Memphis, Oakland, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Kansas City, San Francisco, Dallas and Orlando are more like the secondary pillars

Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a pretty distinct difference. As Spade said, Houston's nightlife for Blacks is no slouch, but it's not exactly comparable to Atlanta either. I remember chatting with someone from Houston who was here for something (I forget the weekend/event). I said, "You came here this weekend? I know Houston has nightlife for Black folks." He said, "Yeah it does, but not like Atlanta." I know it's just one anecdote, but still. But obviously, Houston doesn't need nightlife quite on that level to sustain healthy levels of Black migration.
Well, hey different strokes for different folks. A black person from New York could have the same argument about Atlanta's nightlife. I can agree that Atlanta would have more upscale black clubs since the clubs most likely represent the attitudes and the characterisitics of both cities. Also, Houston's blacks are spread out (you can see that using the 2010 census map thingy) while Atlanta's blacks are more concentrated in many areas creating that "Atlanta got way more Blacks" feeling. But I think Houston does a pretty damn good job for a metro with over 1 million blacks and over 2 million Hispanics and whites and STILL have that black culture that rivals Atlanta. To be honest, I'm just shocked that Houston had that many black folks since personally I thought it was overrun by Mexicans. LOL. Now, I think that it is becoming more and more popular now and is getting itself out there for black relocation recognition.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Well, hey different strokes for different folks. A black person from New York could have the same argument about Atlanta's nightlife. I can agree that Atlanta would have more upscale black clubs since the clubs most likely represent the attitudes and the characterisitics of both cities. Also, Houston's blacks are spread out (you can see that using the 2010 census map thingy) while Atlanta's blacks are more concentrated in many areas creating that "Atlanta got way more Blacks" feeling. But I think Houston does a pretty damn good job for a metro with over 1 million blacks and over 2 million Hispanics and whites and STILL have that black culture that rivals Atlanta. To be honest, I'm just shocked that Houston had that many black folks since personally I thought it was overrun by Mexicans. LOL. Now, I think that it is becoming more and more popular now and is getting itself out there for black relocation recognition.
I have to disagree with that particular statement. Certainly Black culture is present in Houston and it has enough to provide a high level of comfort for any Black person living there or seeking to live there, but it doesn't quite rival Atlanta's. It doesn't have the longstanding Black political leadership, Civil Rights history, urban music scene, HBCU presence, or Black entertainment sector that Atlanta has. Houston's cultural influences are a bit more diffused among a few more groups.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM

I quit. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.