Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
A three year old thread for that??

Well if we have to wake it up, then here's Chicago
Nice! Here's New York City from Brooklyn (in foreground):

Taken from much further away, though. And another:

Both taken by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM

274 posts, read 468,333 times
Largest downtowns:

New York
Chicago
San Francisco
Houston
Los Angeles
Seattle
Washington DC

Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,114,912 times
NYC
Chicago
DC

Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM

274 posts, read 468,333 times
I'd now add Philly to the list: 2nd best and largest downtown! I'm seeing it first hand since I'm in Philly.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,781,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
I'd now add Philly to the list: 2nd best and largest downtown! I'm seeing it first hand since I'm in Philly.
Center City second largest downtown? Chicago's downtown is more than just the Loop now. It extends into the Near North Side, West Loop, and South Loop. When you take that into account, it is smaller than Chicago's. If you say ALL of Center City versus ONLY the Loop in Chicago, then you'd have a point, but that was valid 50 years ago...not anymore today.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,198,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Center City second largest downtown? Chicago's downtown is more than just the Loop now. It extends into the Near North Side, West Loop, and South Loop. When you take that into account, it is smaller than Chicago's. If you say ALL of Center City versus ONLY the Loop in Chicago, then you'd have a point, but that was valid 50 years ago...not anymore today.
I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to that post. Yes CC is bigger than the Loop, and yes DT Chicago has expanded into adjacent neighborhoods. But the same is true of Philly. The vibrancy of CC expands into University City to the west, Northern Liberties to the northeast, Fairmount to the northwest, and Queen Village, Bella Vista and Graduate Hospital to the south.

I am not versed enough in Chicago to judge whether its "downtown" is larger than Philly's or not, nor do I really care. Both are pretty great places to roam around. I just wanted to expose a bit of Phildelphia's expansion.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,327,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I am not versed enough in Chicago to judge whether its "downtown" is larger than Philly's or not, nor do I really care.
I mean, no one should really care, right? It's not a matter of opinion, is it?

Chicago has more tall buildings, more square footage in the CBD, etc. It's a bigger city. It makes sense that it has a bigger downtown. How's that controversial?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,198,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Chicago has more tall buildings, more square footage in the CBD, etc. It's a bigger city. It makes sense that it has a bigger downtown. How's that controversial?
If you can show me figures that demonstrate the Chicago has a larger downtown, then so be it. If someone can show me data that Philly has a larger DT, then so be it. That said, "size" can be measured by square footage, square mileage, "more tall buildings" or any number of other metrics some CD posters use to prove (to themselves?) that their city is more important.

I offered some insights as to how Philly's vibrancy expands well-beyond Center City in response to a poster who offered that Chicago's DT extends beyond the loop. As I already said, however, in the case of which city's DT is "larger," I don't really care.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Chicago clearly has the larger downtown. It is the second largest downtown in the country after New York Only.

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3tie. Philadelphia
3tie. San Francisco
4. Washington D.C.
5. Boston
6. Seattle
7. Los Angeles

So, as you can see below. The two are pretty close in size. Chicago obviously has more tall buildings, but Philadelphia was never really a highrise city.

Here is what I would consider "Downtown Chicago"
1.71 miles wide and 4.38 miles in length
Downtown Chicago - Google Maps

Here is what I would consider "Downtown Philadelphia"
1.32 miles wide and 3.37 miles in length
Downtown Philadelphia - Google Maps

What I would consider "Downtown San Francisco"
1.76 miles wide and 2.97 miles in length
Downtown San Francisco - Google Maps

What I would consider "Downtown Washington D.C."
1.74 miles wide and 2.87 miles in length
Downtown Washington D.C. - Google Maps

What I would consider "Downtown Boston"
1.55 miles wide and 2.46 miles in length
Downtown Boston - Google Maps

What I would consider "Downtown Seattle"
1.37 miles wide and 1.67 miles in length
Downtown Seattle - Google Maps

What I would consider "Downtown Los Angeles"
1.22 mile wide and 2.09 miles in length
Downtown Los Angeles - Google Maps

Los Angeles has the potential to move up, but there is still too much underdeveloped land.

This is what I would consider the largest Downtowns. It's pretty clear to me.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,204,802 times
Much of the South Loop you highlighted of Chicago doesn't seem very downtown-like. What would you consider the equivalent for New York City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.