Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtown D.C. is big but its missing the action, shopping, nightlife and residents like NY, SF, Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia and Montreal.
In fact its kind of disappointing. The museums are great though.
you haven't been to much DC, have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
you haven't been to much DC, have you?
was thinking the same thing lol

Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
It's obvious that he hasn't. Plus he doesn't understand the Federal side of DC from the commercial side based on his museum comments. DT DC is huge. It stretches from Union Station on the east all the way to 23rd Street on the West End. The area has exploded over the years with an abundance of high end condos, nightclubs and bars. On any given night, the K Street corridor is packed with people at clubs and restaurants. Gallery Place alone (Verizon Center) is always buzzing every night. I do agree that the shopping is not on par yet with Chicago or SF. NYC doesn't offer that many shopping alternatives either in DT.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
In a way, I agree that downtown DC doesn't have the activity and buzz like a lot of its peer cities do. DC's energy is to be found primarily in its neighborhoods: Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, U Street, etc. I really like downtown, but it's not really where I go for a night on the town when I visit (even though I can). But it's cool, because I love that setup.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default Largest Downtowns.

by size By office space
1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Washington D.C.

4) San Francisco

5) Philly

6) Boston

7) Houston

BIG JUMP
Cinci
8) Atlanta

9) Dallas

10) Seattle

11) Denver

Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
If I recall correctly, Pwright lived in D.C. for several years.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
by size By office space
1) New York

2) Chicago

3) Washington D.C.

4) San Francisco

5) Philly

6) Boston

7) Houston

BIG JUMP
Cinci
8) Atlanta

9) Dallas

10) Seattle

11) Denver
Just curious as to where you found that information, because I don't think it is accurate. Cincinnati more than Seattle?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Its funny to see what you have to say, you have no idea what you are talking about do you? Go to the census bureau for you population estimates. Indianapolis, Detroit have public tranportation (rapid rail) LOL no they don't. Indianapolis is a joke, Detroit has the people mover. And Phoenix is urban sprawl, Mesa is a urban sprawl mecca. Omaha is a nice city, but is lacks in many things that big cities offer. Walla Walla, no mass transit. Key word there, mass, you need to do some much research before you start leaving comments again. You are making yourself look bad. BTW, I can tell you have never been to Cleveland. Also, your national parks are not as close to the other cities downtowns as Cleveland!!! The parks on Cleveland's lakefront are great, you probaly have never even seen pictures or even know their names. BTW, ever hear of Midway, Chicago's lakefront airport lol.

Museums are something to be proud of, esp when they are world class. And many cities wish they could have the fortune 500 companies Cleveland has.

You sound like you know nothing about cities, and you cling to the suburbs. Do some research first. BTW, sent you a PM long time ago.
As someone who grew up in Strongsville, and still goes back their often. I can tell you this. While Cleveland is certainly a fine city, it is not nearly on the level you are putting it on.Don't put down other cities to pull up Cleveland. Cleveland is on the same level as Pheonix, Detroit and Indy. It's public transportation is a joke, and you know it . Downtown Cleveland is dead excpet for sporting events. Cleveland's lakefront is disgusting. The Cuyahoga Valley is certainly nice, however.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's obvious that he hasn't. Plus he doesn't understand the Federal side of DC from the commercial side based on his museum comments. DT DC is huge. It stretches from Union Station on the east all the way to 23rd Street on the West End. The area has exploded over the years with an abundance of high end condos, nightclubs and bars. On any given night, the K Street corridor is packed with people at clubs and restaurants. Gallery Place alone (Verizon Center) is always buzzing every night. I do agree that the shopping is not on par yet with Chicago or SF. NYC doesn't offer that many shopping alternatives either in DT.
Its obvious that I have. Lived there for over 25 years and have seen many changes. Worked on Capitol Hill and the Federal Triangle and near 18th and K st. Nice changes for the better but not on par with any of the cities I mentioned. No big deal, just my opinion.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
pwright,

I know you have lived in DC. We have responded to each other on this forum before. You working in DC know that the physical size of DC's DT as well as the complexities make it a different animal than say a SF. For one, you have the Federal side which dies at five oclock every day but is buzzing with tourist on the weekends. Then you have Gallery Place/Chinatown which is totally different in vibe than 20th and Penn. It's hard to generalize DC's DT into one category. Connecticut Ave south of Dupont Circle has clubs galore. 14th and K also has a lot of activity at night. You cant pigeon hole DC's DT into generalizations. Wall Street is dead as door knob at night but people here believe that NYC's DT is vibrant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.