Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you belive that Movies and TV shows bost a City's appeal?
Yes 47 90.38%
No 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times

Advertisements

Most movies, no. Though if I like the scenery enough, I might think "Hey that'd be a pretty city to visit". TV shows are a little more flexible and might show a little bit of local culture, but of course it probably wouldn't be 100% accurate and untypical of residents who actually live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The TV show Portlandia hasn't done Portland Oregon any favors. It seems to incite kooks to think they should move to Portland where they think they will fit in just fine, because of what they saw on TV.

I'd bet that vampires all move to Portland because of the Twilight series and Grimm. That's got to be the reason that we've got more vampires and strange creatures in Portland than most places have.
This to the max. It's almost scary. When that show first aired, a couple of people posted they were going to come to Portland and pull some pranks they thought everyone would love ala "Portlandia." People quickly told them this was not acceptable. There were also those who really believed everything they saw on the show was true and wanted to live like the people they saw on TV; exactly like the people they saw on TV. They thought everyone lived like what they saw.

They called the citizens of Portland "Portlandians" and referred to Portland as "Portlandia" as in "I will be moving to Portlandia." That's not such a big deal I suppose but most people like to get the name of their city right and so we would correct them by telling them Portlandia is a statue and Portlanders are the people who live in Portland not Portlandia. I think they were surprised at this.

The problem with shows like these is that people think they are documentaries and not satires. Fred Armisen who just recently moved to live part time in a very ritzy part of town where none of his characters in "Portlandia" could afford to live, has even said so.

Personally, I would rather see a few hexenbeasts move here because of "Grimm" over more hipsters moving here because of "Portlandia."

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,521 times
The Trouble With Larry certainly didn't do Syracuse any favors.

Although it was nice to imagine Courteney Cox living amongst us.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
The title speaks for itself. But I'm not so much focusing on places like LA or NYC, as everyone knows that the list goes on and on for them, but what about the other cities/areas that are now regarded as cool and it-places. Have they helped cause them to rise in prominence, introduced places that you never heard or never given much thought towards?
Maybe if you watch sitcoms...

I don't know what shows you watch but I watch crime shows and I watch HGTV. To me they have a negative impact on a city's appeal --- Costly, dirty, crime-ridden, in your face attitudes.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Look what "the Blair Witch Project" did for Burkittsville, Maryland. Amd "Mystic Pizza" for Mystic, Connecticut.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Perhaps. Sometimes tv shows that portray a city negatively can help a city. The case in point is Miami Vice, which is really not a positive portrayal of Miami (drugs, shootouts, etc.), but it was flashy and glamorous and increased Miami's popularity.
Well that's the difference. Miami wasn't portrayed as Hell on earth like Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania were.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Perhaps. Sometimes tv shows that portray a city negatively can help a city. The case in point is Miami Vice, which is really not a positive portrayal of Miami (drugs, shootouts, etc.), but it was flashy and glamorous and increased Miami's popularity.
Miami's reputation in the 1980s due to the drug trade and shows like Miami Vice helped inflamed that stereotype. Back then the "Art Deco" district on Miami Beach was still in shambles.
Miami is no where near as dangerous as it was a Quarter of a century ago! What I did find funny is when a bus load of German tourists visited the "marina" where they shot Miami Vice and expected to see Crockett's sailboat. Another German tourist asked why isn't downtown Miami full of alligators?
Miami has certainly been helped by Miami Vice & Scarface and that allure except that was all exagerration by Hollywood.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
I think it depends on the show/movie.

The show Nashville has been good for Nashville, IMO, because it shows so many of the different parts of the city- upscale Belle Meade, hip East Nashville, etc. And it really shows how pretty this area is. Some of the places featured on the store have become really popular with tourists who are fans of the show.

Shows like The First 48 didn't do Miami or Memphis any favors.

I really like House Hunters because you get to see little neighborhoods and areas of cities that you might not see on a tourist visit. And I love House Hunters International, esp. if it is in some area that I am not familiar with. I like researching the different areas online after I watch the show.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Movies can harm a city's image too. Flashdance and All The Right Moves were filmed 30 years ago, and they sent the message that you had to get the hell out of western Pennsylvania to make your dreams come true. Some people still believe this to be true today.
Yeah...Breaking Bad seems to have led some people to believe Albuquerque is the meth capital of the US.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
The title speaks for itself. But I'm not so much focusing on places like LA or NYC, as everyone knows that the list goes on and on for them, but what about the other cities/areas that are now regarded as cool and it-places. Have they helped cause them to rise in prominence, introduced places that you never heard or never given much thought towards?
Uhhhh well it's boosted notoriety here in Albuquerque somewhat but perhaps not in the best light

Breaking bad trailer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.