Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Yeah, idiotic. Atlanta has always been a MAJOR center for LGBT life. Hardly one of the less-expected places..lol...
Well, hardly surprising given the The Advocate is one of those media outlets that's seemingly always stunned that anything of significance takes place between LA/SF and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I feel like the LGBT population could live in almost any big or mid-size city and be absolutely fine..
I mean besides from the obvious spots like San Fran, NYC, and LA, there's fort lauderdale, Palm Springs, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philly, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Miami, Pittsburgh, and on and on....

I mean it begs the question....which city would be absolutely horrible toward the LGBT population?
Can't imagine there are many..

Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like the LGBT population could live in almost any big or mid-size city and be absolutely fine..
I mean besides from the obvious spots like San Fran, NYC, and LA, there's fort lauderdale, Palm Springs, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philly, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Miami, Pittsburgh, and on and on....

I mean it begs the question....which city would be absolutely horrible toward the LGBT population?
Can't imagine there are many..
The Villages, Florida.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The Villages, Florida.

I would not live there if it was free.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Come here to Philadelphia!
We will welcome you with open arms!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The Villages, Florida.
The Villages metro area is less than 100,000. It's VERY small and caters to retirees. I can't imagine it would be a good place for LGBT people by any means.

But smaller doesn't mean less gay friendly. For example, the Ithaca, NY area is very small and very gay friendly. Or Burlington, VT or Portland, ME.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Villages metro area is less than 100,000. It's VERY small and caters to retirees. I can't imagine it would be a good place for LGBT people by any means.
That's the point. I said it would be absolutely horrible place for LGBT people.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:43 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's a part of the Orlando MSA, and it's not 'VERY small.' It's a massively sprawling suburb across 3 Counties now, and it is well over 100,000. It isn't a very good place for LGBT people though, but they are obviously there with population numbers like this.

You seem to have a habit of speaking with authority to places you have only read about, but obviously have never actually been to - in my opinion, of course.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's a part of the Orlando MSA, and it's not 'VERY small.' It's a massively sprawling suburb across 3 Counties now, and it is well over 100,000. It isn't a very good place for LGBT people though, but they are obviously there with population numbers like this.

You seem to have a habit of speaking with authority to places you have only read about, but obviously have never actually been to - in my opinion, of course.
You'll get used to it

Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
I feel like this topic of what areas are good for gay people is one of the most over analyzed topics of all time. On City-Data 2/3rds of the straight people name the icon cities of gay-ness New York, Chicago, LA and of course the mothership San Francisco. Then the Philly people will promote Philly as a bastion of tolerance, and the Boston people will scoff at Philly and say it has nothing on their great gay scene. Then the Denver people will chime in, and the Pac NW people will state their case, and of course we all know the sun rises, sets, and shines out of Austin's rear end. Then someone will say something disparaging about Detroit, Cleveland and Phoenix and the cycle will repeat itself.

The truth is in 2014 there aren't very many places that are not good for gays. I feel it's time we as gay people stop clammering to the overdone cliche places, and make the lesser thought of cities just as desireable. How will these other good cities ever become more "gay chic" if some of us don't stay there and make them that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.