Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM

338 posts, read 741,290 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've lived in Texas my whole life, and graduated from High school there. When I graduate from college, what city up north could I go to where I can find a good job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What are you looking for in a city/area?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Portland, Seattle, and Minneapolis/St Paul are very popular right now for young people. Minneapolis/St Paul would probably give you your best chance at finding decent employment. The economic situation in Portland and Seattle is rather ho-hum right now.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I've lived in Texas my whole life, and graduated from High school there. When I graduate from college, what city up north could I go to where I can find a good job?
Mad descriptive bro.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
The Washington DC metro area is a top spot for those who want to jump start a career. Unlike cities like Seattle and Portland, there are good job opportunities for those with degrees as illustrated by it's very low unemployment rate (5.1% versus US average of 8%). Some will say it's expensive to live there, but don't seem to grasp the economics of equalizing that with the higher salaries one will find there.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Columbus OH may work and is similar to Austin in some ways(big state university, a capital city, is growing, etc).

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 AM

338 posts, read 741,290 times
Well, for now, I'm taking classes online at my local community college, THEN I'm going to an actual college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What are you looking for in a city/area?
One that has four distinct seasons, for one. Also, one where it's easy to maneuver around.

Though, I'm not really sure what most people would consider a "good", or at least, "decent" job.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Where do you go to college at down there? Just curious?

As an Okie who despises your Texas Longhorns , I have to admit that the larger communities in Texas are hard to beat. I'm not sure you could go "up north" and find a more desirable place to live than the options you have in your own back yard.

Also, you will have to adjust to the weather "up north".

If you insist on leaving Texas then I might look at Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, research triangle in NC as they have enough similarities to what you are used to.................. and you won't freeze.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Where do you go to college at down there? Just curious?

As an Okie who despises your Texas Longhorns , I have to admit that the larger communities in Texas are hard to beat. I'm not sure you could go "up north" and find a more desirable place to live than the options you have in your own back yard.

Also, you will have to adjust to the weather "up north".

If you insist on leaving Texas then I might look at Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, research triangle in NC as they have enough similarities to what you are used to.................. and you won't freeze.
Oddly enough, many find the possibility of experiencing something new and different intriguing, versus living life cradle to grave in the same area.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oddly enough, many find the possibility of experiencing something new and different intriguing, versus living life cradle to grave in the same area.
I wouldn't argue with you other than to say that moving "north" from Texas requires some "getting used to."

Secondly, the economy is more robust in Texas than most places "up north."

Finally, they have these bumper stickers in Texas that say "we don't care how you did it up north."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.