Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non-Confederate state is the most Southern?
Oklahoma 63 23.33%
Kentucky 163 60.37%
West Virginia 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,496,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Some where down the PC road, you may have to edit the title of your thread and remove that offensive word
"Confederacy"
Hmm I hope not. It's a valid part of US history and it should not be forgotten nor swept under the rug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I actually ran into someone from Raleigh the other day who told me, "Yeah, Oklahoma is more Midwestern, I can't see how it'd be a part of the South." I'll admit that it's a little southern, though.

Actually, from what I've heard, Oklahoma was mainly settled by people from the Deep South. Tulsa has a history that isn't too dissimilar from southern cities, just look at the 1921 race riot and the presence of Oral Roberts (making the city a Bible Belt buckle). Also, it's kind of Ozark-ish or at least getting there. Oklahoma City, not so much IMO. Tulsa strikes me as much more southern, while OKC is a little more of a cowboy town with western influences.
My spouse from Nebraska says Oklahoma thinks of itself as "western", not midwestern or southern.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,461,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My spouse from Nebraska says Oklahoma thinks of itself as "western", not midwestern or southern.
That's a better way of putting it. It's certainly nothing like Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. It's a very hard state to pin down, but I've noticed tons of people on CD like to include Oklahoma in the South. Tulsa and areas closer to Arkansas, I can see that a little. Oklahoma City and areas further west, not at all. I felt like I was in the middle of Iowa when I visited Oklahoma City, with a cowboy/western flavor thrown in.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,852,496 times
I tend to go by how Southern Baptist a place is as to how southern it is. On this metric, OK is only behind Mississippi and Alabama by percent of its population that is Southern Baptist.

Here is a link from the 2010 U.S. Religious Census: Southern Baptist Convention States (2010) | QuickLists | The Association of Religion Data Archives

Old 06-25-2015, 06:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,232,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I tend to go by how Southern Baptist a place is as to how southern it is. On this metric, OK is only behind Mississippi and Alabama by percent of its population that is Southern Baptist.

Here is a link from the 2010 U.S. Religious Census: Southern Baptist Convention States (2010) | QuickLists | The Association of Religion Data Archives
No, because the Appalachian tradition is independent churches not tied to a national church, so evangelicals in West Virginia do not get counted by this method. A survey of Wayne County, WV, showed twice as many churches as counted by the ARIS survey, and the 2nd largest category they found was "unaffiliated" churches. The Pew survey from 2014 does not go by official church reports. There are independent churches in West Virginia that make Southern Baptists look like Unitarians.
Even the American Baptist churches in WV refused to reaffirm their ties to the national church in 2005. A survey by the American Bible Society that ran from 2005-2012 found Charleston, WV, to be the 10th most Bible oriented city in the US. No city in KY or OK made the top 10.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

Besides which, there is no ONE determining factor, it must be a combination of religion, history, demographics, language, etc.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,452,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's a better way of putting it. It's certainly nothing like Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. It's a very hard state to pin down, but I've noticed tons of people on CD like to include Oklahoma in the South. Tulsa and areas closer to Arkansas, I can see that a little. Oklahoma City and areas further west, not at all. I felt like I was in the middle of Iowa when I visited Oklahoma City, with a cowboy/western flavor thrown in.
Sorry, North Carolina's Southern legitimacy is severely impugned by being a "basketball state." Bunch of Yankees!

All truly Southern states I know of have crazed college football culture. Oklahoma has it. Texas has it. Arkansas has it. North Carolina?......do they even play college football there?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post

Yep. Southern Baptist prominence should definitely be included in this dialogue.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,232,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yep. Southern Baptist prominence should definitely be included in this dialogue.
Sorry B&C, the SBC doesn't cut it anymore.

Southern Baptist leader: Take down the Confederate flag - Washington Times

Southern Baptists' name change seeks to shed historical baggage | Faith & Values | Kentucky.com

Whatever it is they used to be they ain't anymore.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Good article. I had already read it. I see the writer's point for sure.

And I am, like most Evangelicals in Oklahoma, a Southern Baptist. I applaud the SBC's leadership in this area. The Battle Flag is very offensive to African Americans. It is not offensive to me as a Native/Anglo. But I totally see why it would be offensive to African Americans. As much as I love being an Oklahoman and then a Southerner (with former kin who fought for the South), I'm a follower of Christ first. That trumps all other distinctions which is essentially the writer's main point.

Also on the name change from Southern Baptists to Great Commission Baptists....I don't know of one Okie Baptist who calls himself "a Great Commission Baptist." Theologically/doctrinally that is certainly what we are supposed to be---Great Commission Christians---but us ol' timers still just call each other good ol' Southern Baptists. I'm guessing that it's that way in the majority of the old line/influential Southern Baptist states such as OK/TX/AR/LA/TN/MS/AL/GA etc.

Cheers.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,461,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Sorry, North Carolina's Southern legitimacy is severely impugned by being a "basketball state." Bunch of Yankees!

All truly Southern states I know of have crazed college football culture. Oklahoma has it. Texas has it. Arkansas has it. North Carolina?......do they even play college football there?
Haha, we do but our teams can't do anything! But to be fair, we do have NASCAR. Tons of people call NC, "The birthplace of NASCAR." Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Junior Johnson, etc. All from North Carolina. Most drivers live around Charlotte, too. If NASCAR ain't southern.....

We played basketball long before 'em Yankees came in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.