Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 41,551 times

Advertisements

I am looking to a city where the cost of starting a new life as some one who is moving from abroad , I have only USD 7000 , my wife and toddler will be with me , i need to know if that amount can cover our costs until i get a good job .

if you know that in the begening i expect to be able to get only low standard / low paying jobs that will get me no more than $ 2000 gross if i were lucky.

I have a hope that in few month i can get a job in my career ,which might pay me for average USD 3000 / month

I think our major costs will be

1-Transportation from NYC airport to the city where we will start ( uknown yet )
2-at least 4 nights at a hotel in the city we will start until we find a sutible appartment
3-rent of furnished appartment + deposit
4-public transportation pass
5-food , living expenses for let us 1 month until getting a job

would $ 7000 be enough ? what cities do you think migh fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Tough to say. In your situation, I would think not. But who am I to say you can't? Other people have done it on less, but I think most people are going to say no here. Especially if you have a family depending on you.

A single person would be able to get away with it, I myself am moving without a job soon. But everything would have to go perfectly for you to make it.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,226 times
Where are you moving from? The reason I ask is that it may be a little more difficult to find employment for your VISA requirements. I would say that 7k would be a challenging amount to start a new life on...Personally if you could wait, I would.

Let me address the things you've specifically listed above:

1-Transportation from NYC airport to the city where we will start: Depending on how far you can pretty much bank on a minimum of 1500 for three tickets (depending on the age of your toddler)
2-at least 4 nights at a hotel in the city we will start until we find a sutible appartment: 4 nights in a decent hotel will rougly run 400 dollars. The only issue I could foresee is getting approved for a lease with what I can only imagine will be few ID documents that link you to the US and no established credit to waive any deposit fee's.
3-rent of furnished appartment + deposit: furnished will be a little more, but its a good deal if you can get it.
4-public transportation pass: Unless you are in a major urban center in the US...relying exclusively on public transit really isn't practical. It is in NY, LA, Chicago, or SF but aside from that you would probably need a car.
5-food , living expenses for let us 1 month until getting a job: For three people I would figure that you would need at least 400 or 500 dollars for food and then probably another 300 dollars for miscellaneous living expenses.

The most important thing you want to do is have a contingency budget for the outliers..........again, 7k is a bit thin but I suppose it is doable.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
unless you plan on couch surfing with friends, $7,000 is not enough - especially if you have a family.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 34,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozo2012 View Post
I am looking to a city where the cost of starting a new life as some one who is moving from abroad , I have only USD 7000 , my wife and toddler will be with me , i need to know if that amount can cover our costs until i get a good job .

if you know that in the begening i expect to be able to get only low standard / low paying jobs that will get me no more than $ 2000 gross if i were lucky.

I have a hope that in few month i can get a job in my career ,which might pay me for average USD 3000 / month

1-Transportation from NYC airport to the city where we will start ( uknown yet )
2-at least 4 nights at a hotel in the city we will start until we find a sutible appartment

would $ 7000 be enough ? what cities do you think migh fit?
Personally, I also think $7000 may be cutting it a little short my friend..Do you have any friends or fam you could stay with until you get on your feet? My family is moving to Des Moines Iowa this fall.. Its a great place and we are also trying to get out finances in order:}
Hope it works out for you!!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
dupicate below, sorry.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Depends on three main items. If you are single, and if you are moving to an affordable area, and you are employable. Seriously, it comes down to that.

NYC with a family would be almost impossible, as would many other expensive cities. Omaha, single, would be doable. Anything in between would be risky with 7K. You would be suprised how fast 7K can disappear within just a couple of months, again, depending on your family situation and where you choose to live.

BTW, I know of a family with 350K that moved to a new, somewhat expensive city, (Seattle) a couple of years ago and now they are broke. Perhaps they made some not so smart decisions, but the lesson is be careful.

Last edited by pw72; 01-22-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozo2012 View Post

would $ 7000 be enough ? what cities do you think might fit?
It can be done but wouldn't suggest with flying out of NYC. I would suggest Greyhound Bus which is significantly less, probably 50% or better. http://www.greyhound.com/ Much less expensive cities will offer decent/safe motel rooms at around $40-$50 a night and similar 2 bedroom apartments in the $650-$750 per month range. Bear in mind in most of these cities the deposit on an apartment is just half of the monthly rent (so around $1100-$1200 to move in), plus any utility deposits. Public transit is also much less expensive, with unlimited ride monthly bus passes going for around $50-$60 per month. So with a rough calculation of just over $2200 you can have yourself established in a new city with a significant amount leftover. If you move to a city with a very low unemployment rate finding a job right off the bat is pretty likely if you're willing to work in fast food, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. which would allow you to hang onto most of your savings and look for better work at the same time. I'd recommend cities like Columbus OH, Omaha NE, Grand Rapids MI or Des Moines/West Des Moines IA which offer a low cost of living and are considered pretty safe/family-friendly.

Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Grand Rapids, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Des Moines, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,374 times
Some cities have "long term" hotels with weekly and monthly rates. Las Vegas certainly does. Many of these will be quite seedy, some will be alright. If you were going to Vegas, I would tell you to go to an Amerisuites that's not too close to the Strip or Downtown (there's one off Flamingo a couple blocks east of Maryland, IIRC). No deposit, no background check, just plunk down six hundred bucks and you're good to go for a month.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.