Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM

101 posts, read 127,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golondrina62 View Post
Been to every city on the list except Oakland and Baltimore. For the supposed benefits of living in Houston, the growing crime issues are a real deterrent from us personally wanting to stay here. Too many random incidents of burglaries, holdups, shootings (for changing a tire on the side of the road, really?) and carjackings all over town - I'm from Chicago and lived & worked in Miami for a year, and you people take the cake. Anyone who doesn't see how lethal Houston and its environs already are, or will be in 5-10 years, is kidding themselves.
Well said. Too many random robberies in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM

101 posts, read 127,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bull****, it's not any more random then any other major city in America. Houston is not some lawless city where you have to watch over you're back 24/7. Houston is safer then alot of big cities or metropolitan areas in the United States. And I grew up down the street from crackhouses, hookers,drug dealers,gang bangers you name it I witnessed it. I've seen a man die at the age of 13. Houston in it's "random" areas are as safe as a mouse kitten. You're more likely to get killed by a idiot driver then you are in getting stuck up/held up or shot at.

If you're not in certain parts of South West(where it can become dangerous) Acre's Home,5th Ward, certain parts of Southside or apartment complexes and surrounding areas in Greenspoint then crime will not affect you on a dramatic scale.

I swear man how soft are you people? You're telling me that it's high crime activity in the burbs of Houston metropolitan area? In the inner loop areas like Heights/Rice Village/TMC/Downtown/Midtown/Uptown??

I'll take you to some real areas of crime and you'll be screaming to come back to the safe areas of Kirby or wherever you reside at? Just let me know I give good Houston hood tours. LOL
You must be a non-Asian, perhaps non-white, muscular and tall.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,307 times
Quote:
Blocks from where I live, a woman was shot in broad daylight and killed and her newborn abducted. You all know that story from last year I'm sure. Any number of cell phone stores, etc. are held up in the middle of the day in this neck of the woods. Where I worked, a carjacking happened one day and a shooting in the Wal-Mart parking lot the next. All in your supposed "safe" areas. As mentioned above everyone is dependent on cars since your public transit is so limited. That means the predators go to the biggest watering holes in nonthreatening areas and take advantage of the rich prey who are usually clueless. Seen it happen in Chicago, Florida and pretty much everywhere else I've lived. I guess the latest trend is following I-45 North to the Woodlands, or hitting up overpopulated sections of NW Harris Cty. since that's what I read in the paper every day. You can be all big & bad you want til someone kicks in your own door, or it happens to you. To me it seems there is very little active policing and what cops there are will shoot first & ask questions later. Only in FL are police more eager to do so.

I'm not afraid of anything, I grew up in inner city Chicago and worked in Little Havana in Miami. I've had guns pointed at me and had plenty of close calls in sketchy neighborhoods (how about the time a gas station clerk locked me in his empty store and threatened to hurt me if I didn't "give hiim some"?) so don't tell me how tough I am. What you have here in Houston is a blind adherence to some 20 year old idea about your town and how "safe" it is.

I disagree. That is not the case. I think the cities where people feel that areas of crimes are supposedly concentrated to a single area, are engaged in a false sense of security. Not saying that b/c it's "spread out" in Houston that it's better, here. But there is a sense of delusion among citizens in many cities, that crime only takes place in "certain areas" (mostly believed to be in urban areas) while the insulated suburban enclaves are uber safe. That is just simply not the case. What you see in Houston is more closer to reality regarding a lot of cities. That indeed crime is everywhere.

What people should understand is that there is simply no safe place..... regardless of the neighborhood, affluence, etc.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM

63 posts, read 122,470 times
Well thanks for replying in a civil manner I totally agree with this:

"What people should understand is that there is simply no safe place..... regardless of the neighborhood, affluence, etc."

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
You must be a non-Asian, perhaps non-white, muscular and tall.
And this whole time I thought that guns were the ones that kept people safe

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
My point is that Houstonians should care very much about the "apartments and in bad areas of town" before they become all that is left of the city. That's how it starts. Chicago is a DMZ almost everywhere from 3 miles west of downtown and even some suburbs are turning bad - and plenty of people there are whistling past the graveyard too.
That is simply not true. In Chicago, crime is concentrated in specific neighborhoods on the south and west side. It's a terrible true fact that the segregation in Chicago promotes this. Of those 500 murders this year, almost all were gang related (some innocent victims, but it was the gangs shooting up the streets). Gang members post on youtube with videos of wads of cash and guns.

According to the Chicago PD, up to 80 percent of Chicago’s murders and shootings are gang-related. By one estimate, the city has almost 70,000 gang members. A police audit last spring identified 59 gangs and 625 factions; most are on the South and West sides. Easy access to guns for young men with no hope is a disaster in the making.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
BTW, here is my zip code where I lived in Chicago. I lived with all the pretty white yuppies too. Here is the crime report. Keep in mind, this is almost all white, very affluent area.

60657 crime reports | EveryBlock Chicago
That is NOT where the murders are though. That is Lakeview and yep, it's yuppieville. Break ins and burglaries are common where ever there are wealthier people. Vehicle thefts are also common and vehicle break ins are common. These crimes are common in Houston too. There have been lots of car break ins in my suburb in Pearland. Also note that the crimes in Lakeview are concentrated around the bar scene and in certain bad areas of Lakeview (around the Wilson *el* stop, for example).

60657 Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM

63 posts, read 122,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That is simply not true. In Chicago, crime is concentrated in specific neighborhoods on the south and west side. It's a terrible true fact that the segregation in Chicago promotes this. Of those 500 murders this year, almost all were gang related (some innocent victims, but it was the gangs shooting up the streets). Gang members post on youtube with videos of wads of cash and guns.

According to the Chicago PD, up to 80 percent of Chicago’s murders and shootings are gang-related. By one estimate, the city has almost 70,000 gang members. A police audit last spring identified 59 gangs and 625 factions; most are on the South and West sides. Easy access to guns for young men with no hope is a disaster in the making.
Sorry but I beg to differ. There is much more widespread violence in the city that is frighteningly random - like flash mobs of muggers on train platforms and road rage shootings in previously quiet neighborhoods. The downside of public transit is the ability of bad guys to ride a train/bus to wherever the prey gathers. It's not nearly as neatly segregated as you all might think. And that is what troubles me about Houston :-/

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I beg to differ. There is much more widespread violence in the city that is frighteningly random - like flash mobs of muggers on train platforms and road rage shootings in previously quiet neighborhoods. The downside of public transit is the ability of bad guys to ride a train/bus to wherever the prey gathers. It's not nearly as neatly segregated as you all might think. And that is what troubles me about Houston :-/
These happen here in Houston as well

Flash mob robbery caught on camera | Video | abc13.com

Road Rage happens here too and seems to be pretty violent.

Road-rage shooting leaves woman dead - Houston Chronicle

Possible road rage ends in fatal shooting - Houston Chronicle

Man shot in face after road rage incident | CW39 NewsFix

2 men arrested for fatal road rage shooting - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 AM

498 posts, read 837,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Don't pull the segregation card. I came from Chicago, probably the most segregated city in the US. Sure, the south side is bad. But guess what? That's not grandma getting robbed or shot, that is gang on gang violence. On the north side where all the pretty trixies live dating their chad's from Depaul (those of you from Chicago will know what a trixie and chad is), they are getting mugged and robbed left and right in their all white super safe neighborhoods. True, most of the "violent" crime is south. Again, that is gang on gang violence.
So then you do agree with me.

Quote:
Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples here. Most of you who are complaining about crime are not complaining about murders and rape, but rather "petty" crime ie. burglaries, break ins, etc. Most of that type of crime has nothing to do with segregation or Houston's lack of zoning. Do you people really think thieves are so stupid as to not know where the dumb rich white people live? Come on. They knew where they lived in Chicago and NY and LA and they certainly don't need to live across the street from them to rob them. They can get in a car and drive to wherever you are.
I've only ever referred to violent crime, i.e. any crime where a weapon is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.