Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Assisting others is a true measure of a functional society,
especially when it involves the elderly. It's something I have
always admired and respected. I'm not sure how it relates
to my original post, but so what. Kudos.

I still feel it's to everyones advantage to work on becoming
multi-skilled as opposed to multi-tasking. I was hoping to
here a little more civic pride in this area. My vote still goes to Texas.
If we must apply a state , I would have to also say Alaska-Washington-Idaho-Montana- North Dakota-Minnesota-N. Wisc.-N.Mich.-Vermont-Maine..and , only that the per cent is high for self reliant peoples in these northern boarder states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I would assume from the South. Where you grow up very quick, and learn how to do many things for yourself.
My 10 year old son was outside yesterday sawing up wood with my husband (from a tree he cut down) and he was sooo proud of himself! It is a true sense of accomplishment when you do something like that on your own when you do have the option to call someone else.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,297 times
I would have to say from Chicago or New York City. Living in the big cities you really have to learn to fend for yourself and fight for survival.

Most people that move to these cities from smaller cities have a hard time adjusting to the life style change, especially learning to survive in such fast paced environments.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its not a state , its not a city , its , rural America. Where ever people have to become a jack of all trades , in order to survive. When you depend on some one else to do anything , you get lazy. Big city people are the worst at this. In an age when there are so many specialized services , and , the big city is the only place they can profit, due to the population, these services proliferate. So.......... people just p/u the phone book , or call their neighbor for reference, its that easy. In rural areas , these services are not in the phone book , and , if you want to get it done , you do it yourself. Granted , there is an art , in being able to find the right people , for the specific job , but , thats , not what the poster of this thread is asking for.
There is another scenario that comes to play here , and thats , " the job is beneath me, I hire it done , cause my time is more valuable than his " All the while , this guy who's biggest talent is writing checks , is sitting in front of the TV , watching the ball game , with a beer in hand !........ Thats OK , if , you can afford it , and , time to relax is important , but , there is nothing better , than doing it yourself , the pride of accomplishment , and ,fact . that you just may have learned something in the process.

And where do people get the cash to pay for it? Or are all city slickers loaded? I would say there are different skills necessary to survive in an urban and rural environment.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I would have to say from Chicago or New York City. Living in the big cities you really have to learn to fend for yourself and fight for survival.

Most people that move to these cities from smaller cities have a hard time adjusting to the life style change, especially learning to survive in such fast paced environments.
I gotta disagree, a big city provides everything possible, without actually having to make anything your own. I guess everyone has their definition of self-reliant, but for me, that means making your own without assistance from retailers, government, companies, etc.; so basically, country life without any (or very few) modern day amenities.

I agree that it is rural America. There are people all over that do this. In particular, I think rural parts of Montana and some of the west (including Alaska), and Southern Appalachian Mountain folks, due to their isolation from the rest of society.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
A large city can provide the means to be multi-skilled.
There are many career opportunities, universities and trade schools.
I remember kids coming from the rural areas to attend
DeVry in Chicago.

Urban survival is not a marketable skill...
but unfortunately a necessary one in many areas.

Last edited by danco; 10-22-2007 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: cps edjikation

Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
And where do people get the cash to pay for it? Or are all city slickers loaded? I would say there are different skills necessary to survive in an urban and rural environment.
City Slickers , as a rule make more money , than rural folks. Some areas of the Country , like NYC , they HAVE to make a lot more , in order to pay the cost of living.......... so , yes , they may seem rich to a country bumkin.
I believe the country folk could do OK in the city , and , actually profit from the added skills. problem is , the enviorment often will not allow for use of their self reliant skills. Union trades , restrictions on space , home work shops , lack of parking, apartment living, all effect aptitudes.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Rural america and many also that grew up in the high crime inner cities and got themselves out.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
I would say, places like Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. Most people that live in the big cities don't understand that there are towns in NV, AZ and NM in the middle of nowhere, where you can drive for 60 miles and not see one gas station, one motel or house for that matter. I would say the same about the most isolated parts of Alaska.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times
Quote:
I believe the country folk could do OK in the city , and , actually profit from the added skills. problem is , the enviorment often will not allow for use of their self reliant skills. Union trades , restrictions on space , home work shops , lack of parking, apartment living, all effect aptitudes.
I agree that unions have allowed people to stop striving.
( In Chicago CTA workers were way overpaid )

There is something to be said for growing up rural
working with your hands and than going to a metro area
to compliment your training with something more specialized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.