Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Denver and Seattle share a similar trait. Both tend to be made up of inward looking people, not particularly open to social dialogue. I can probably track this to both cities being frontier towns in the past 150 years. And many of the newcomers to Denver are the same as Seattle. Northern Europeans who tend to be non, or even anti-social. Of course, this is a generality, and both cities have newcomers who are friendly and want to blend in. But the darkside is that many who are native, and new to both areas, are more reserved than most. Denver will probably never admit this, but I believe it to be true.
Yeah I notice how in Seattle and Portland people will often act offended or like you are wasting their time if you acknowledge their presence; even if you have a good reason for it. It's always been off-putting to me, it's stressful feeling like you are annoying people all the time. I'm sort of a loner myself, but you still have to deal with people and I hate being shot down and judged by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:37 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
I'd say Florida was the coldest place that I've lived, as no one seemed to care about, or even act interested in what other people are doing.

I guess people's experiences vary, and I think the perception of "warmth" has a lot to do with how well your interests mesh with others in the area. For example, if you're an avid outdoorsman or adventure junkie who's in to Grateful Dead and the craft beer scene, you'd likely run into a huge crowd of people with similar interests and would probably think CO was extremely friendly. We're not even very extreme and my introverted wife used to stress out about the fact that we made new "best friends" quite regularly just by being in the same place as other people. It never failed, whether we were hanging out in a campground, a bar, sitting in a hot springs, whatever - lifeless and friendly they were not. Denver is a bit overrated, yes, but I'm not sure you could draw too much of a conclusion from a quick stop at the Greyhound station....

I find there to be substantial differences between the people of CO and WA. In fact, the "freeze" was a concern for both of us moving to the state. We loved the warmth and friendliness of CO folks. But it's a little more complicated than that-WA is much more subdued, and it turns out that's fine with us. People here are nice, but they generally seem keep to themselves. Much less in your face than CO, to be sure.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Florida was the "coldest" place I've ever lived.

No one there seems to care about you, your interests, what you're doing, etc. Social capital is very low as well as civic pride and engagement levels. Needless to say, there's lots of voter apathy and little support for educational and other community expenditures. Overall, people are very rude and highly opposed to greeting others and small talk, even in the workplace.

That's all due to "six degrees of separation," as Florida is the most transient state in the country after Nevada and certainly the most transient large state. No one is really "from" Florida. Most people come, complain and go. Even lots of "natives" move on to other states. Because most people in Florida are transplants, no one usually has family in the state, not to mention it's so hard to make friends that no one really has many friends down there, either. If they do, they're usually friends from "back home" who also moved down.

Just a very odd place, IME.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 PM

267 posts, read 311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Thankfully by living in Texas I've never lived in a cold place, by both definitions.
I'm not sure how far the northern artic blast reached down south but I think most of Texas was shivering for a short period of time this past winter.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
when I worked for the NWS they transferred me to Antarctica for a month and the dozen or so scientists already there completely froze me out and gave me the cold shoulder, didn't one of them speak to me once. They'd just sit there when I walked into the break room and stare straight ahead with the same stupid look on their face. I completed my experiments, the month came and went and my flight brought me back to civilization and decent conversation. Ohhhh, I sent Christmas Cards for a couple years, but when I never got any in return I stopped even doing that.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:33 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I saw on Bestplaces that the main complaint about Denver was that the people were lifeless and unfriendly. I've only passed through there on the Greyhound, but I will say that the city did seem like an extremely boring place and I don't understand why it's considered such an interesting and desirable place to live. Again I think it's because of the west coast real estate machine.

If I lived in Colorado I'd actually rather live in Fort Collins.
Yes, it's best to judge an entire metropolis of over 2.5M by passing through via a Greyhound bus. By interstate none the less

Old 06-03-2015, 01:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
I found the exact opposite in Denver as the people posting here. I was there for 2 weeks for a job/vacation (1 week of each), and spent a lot of time in Denver and the surrounding areas. I did not run in to one person that I remember being rude/mean/aloof or whatever. Everyone we met and talked to seemed like genuine people. Maybe it is in how you present yourself?

The "coldest" city I have ever lived in would have to be...well... I guess Memphis. Although it is not really a "cold" city, as most of the people are fine, but there seems to be less neighborly people there than the other places I have lived.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Florida was the "coldest" place I've ever lived.

No one there seems to care about you, your interests, what you're doing, etc. Social capital is very low as well as civic pride and engagement levels. Needless to say, there's lots of voter apathy and little support for educational and other community expenditures. Overall, people are very rude and highly opposed to greeting others and small talk, even in the workplace.

That's all due to "six degrees of separation," as Florida is the most transient state in the country after Nevada and certainly the most transient large state. No one is really "from" Florida. Most people come, complain and go. Even lots of "natives" move on to other states. Because most people in Florida are transplants, no one usually has family in the state, not to mention it's so hard to make friends that no one really has many friends down there, either. If they do, they're usually friends from "back home" who also moved down.

Just a very odd place, IME.
Wow is that all you do on this site is troll forums and talk about how much you hate Florida. Like literally all you contribute is generalized exaggerations and overused stereotypes. For one you haven't lived in Florida since 2007 so your opinions are so bizarre because I thought it was 2015. I highly suggest some help or therapy because living in my home state really effected you for the worst. I actually did value some of your posts but I've seen the ugly side as well which is not healthy in the long run. Also how many places have you lived because I can go to the Boise thread and you will say I've lived there and here is my opinion.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 AM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
oops.

Last edited by skylar0201; 06-07-2015 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Re-read OP's post, and nevermind lol

Old 06-07-2015, 09:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Delta Colorado. What a pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.