Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,365,210 times

Advertisements

Here in eastern Pennsylvania I hear the term east coast to describe out particular area.
I also hear mid Atlantic along with Northeast to also describe where I live.

I believe we are a transitional area here and are truly in the middle between the mid Atlantic and the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,949,711 times
In my experience, when people say East Coast, they generally mean the Northeast from Maine down to DC, including Pennsylvania and Vermont which are actually on the coast. Eastern Seaboard on the other hand generally encompasses everything along the coast from Maine down to Florida. The only time I ever see/hear East Coast referencing the entire Eastern Seaboard is on certain weather channels.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,926,224 times
I'm from the Northwest, and I generally perceive the East Coast to include the New England and Mid-Atlantic states, whilst dismissing NC, SC and GA (along with FL to a bit of a lesser extent) as purely Southern, regardless of the fact that all four of those states are indeed eastern and coastal. Perhaps regional politics has formed this perception?

And actually, I tend to think in terms of "back east" rather than "East Coast," which is likely the reason why I include certain non-coastal states (i.e. VT, WV and PA) in my perception of "East Coast."

Am I making sense here?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,901,494 times
I think everyone has explained pretty well why they don't include the Southeast in the East Coast. What I'm wondering is why a perfectly valid (and more precise) name for this part of the country - the Northeast - has been usurped.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM

778 posts, read 993,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I'm from the Northwest, and I generally perceive the East Coast to include the New England and Mid-Atlantic states, whilst dismissing NC, SC and GA (along with FL to a bit of a lesser extent) as purely Southern, regardless of the fact that all four of those states are indeed eastern and coastal. Perhaps regional politics has formed this perception?

And actually, I tend to think in terms of "back east" rather than "East Coast," which is likely the reason why I include certain non-coastal states (i.e. VT, WV and PA) in my perception of "East Coast."

Am I making sense here?

Yeah and thats how I view it as an Easterner.

Its all pretty relative. Theres no black and white to it IMO, and people that try to do that I find quite silly.

Out west I would refer to CA, OR, WA, and also AZ, NV, MT, etc.

I do consider Miami as East Coast as well, culturally. What else would it be? This is in terms of East/West only.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM

735 posts, read 1,123,949 times
East Coast is the Bos-Wash corridor. I'm from the East Coast, and it's a common thing.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,334,589 times
Okay, here's one for you. When I moved to Portland OR and told people I was from Chicago, Illinois most people insisted I was from "back East." I said "No, Illinois is in the Midwest." They said, "No, Colorado is in the Midwest, Illinois is Back East."

As one person here explained it to me, anything east of the Rockies is East. The Rockies to the Cascades is Midwest. West of the Cascades is West. So coming from Chicago, I was from "Back East" and that was that.

I admit I was never good in geography but that never sounded quite right to me.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Technically theyre right though. Chicago is east of the Mississippi.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
East Coast is the Bos-Wash corridor. I'm from the East Coast, and it's a common thing.
The Term "East Coast" is used much more broadly than just the Bos-Wash Corridor.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Term "East Coast" is used much more broadly than just the Bos-Wash Corridor.

Hes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.