Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM

328 posts, read 996,884 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know what people in other parts of the U.S. and in other countries think of this area. What stereotypes (good or bad) come to mind? Do you see the area as desirable? I define the midwest as states such as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,159 times
What do I think about the midwest ?
Nothing good at all ~~ except I like the corn grown in that region.
I would be so bored if I had to live there. I have relatives there who feel stuck there and hate living in the midwest.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I'm born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona but my family is from Columbus, OH and I've been there a countless number of times as well as Detroit, Chicago, and St Louis. I think the Midwest is pretty cool. All of it isn't desirable like anywhere else but the large cities in each of the Midwestern states are no different than any other large city really. Rural Midwest is where you see a lot of culture and different things that you don't really see in many areas of the country. The Amish country for example in Eastern Ohio is pretty interesting (Yes I know there's Amish in the NE as well but I'm speaking of the Midwest).

When I think of the Midwest:

Good: Cedar Point,Kings Island(childhood memories), Motown museum in Detroit, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Lakefront of the Chicago Loop, Gateway Arch. Also very nice "hometown" atmosphere....people are very welcoming in the Midwest, Ohio State Buckeyes, lots of greenery(something I don't get living in Phoenix),really good food, quite a bit of Southern influence in a few of the cities.

Bad: The winter weather(I'm glad I live in Phoenix), A good number of the larger cities have high crime rates(not that it gets in the way of you enjoying each city but it's definitely a negative). I know Phoenix isn't the safest place but there's absolutely no neighborhood I wouldn't confidently walk through or drive through in Phoenix at all hours of the day/night. When the sun goes down in the near east/east side of Columbus, North St Louis, East Detroit on 8 and 12 mile rd, most of Flint, MI and other places you will not catch me outside walking the neighborhood/running a mile and exercising by myself. The other negative of the Midwest is that it's farther from the coast if you have a craving for an ocean.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
I usually don't think about it. Most of my friends and relatives live along the coasts.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Surprisingly better then the east, south and west

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Simply flyover country except for Chicago.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I like the great plains states, true America, patriotic, historic small towns on the river, corn mazes, not as much democrat as upper midwest.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Simply flyover country except for Chicago.
simply flyover to where considering most of the nations population is on the the east?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Hanging around here you would think that the midwest is terrible! However, I don't think much of it. I don't like Chicago as a city. But I'd love to live in Minneapolis one day.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I like the great plains states, true America, patriotic, historic small towns on the river, corn mazes, not as much democrat as upper midwest.
So NY and California don't have small, patriotic and historic towns and villages?

And are Republicans the only true patriots that live in these towns?

Somebody needs to get out of the corn maze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.