Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM

6,550 posts, read 6,589,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
negative opinion of Northeasterners, but especially New Yorkers.
grew up 250 miles NE of NYC, now live 250 miles SW of it

Nothing like the sounds of Joy Behar, Joan Rivers, and Fran Drescher all yelling at once. Can add to the ambience if you throw in the smells of the Jersey Turnpike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM

287 posts, read 338,635 times
New York gets undeserved attention and thinks that it's "entitled" to a lot of stuff just for being the largest city. Philadelphia is more cultured and artistically creative, but Brooklyn gets the hype of being hipster-land!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,257,610 times
People from the largest city in a country always attract resentment. It’s not an American phenomenon. It’s the same for London, Mexico City, Tokyo, Cairo, Buenos Aires, etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 AM

405 posts, read 818,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I have lived in New York and other places around the country. I have long noticed that most people seem to have a negative opinion of Northeasterners, but especially New Yorkers. I have always thought it was just mere stereotyping, but after reading a lot of these threads, I am wondering this: is there an actual dislike of people from the NYC area or is it really just a stereotype? I am not justifying stereotyping either. I don't hold negative views of New Yorkers or any other group, and I ask that only respectful and thoughtful replies be made. This is NOT meant to be a troll thread or to start an argument.
I go to New York every year and I really don't understand the nasty, arrogant, mean, New Yorker stereotype because 9 out of 10 New Yorkers are very friendly, helpful, and pleasant to talk to. But I think part of it is the that the media perpetuates the stereotype. The other part of it is simply that some people are jealous of NYC and wish they could be from a place so cool.

I think when it comes to the stereotype of New Yorkers being mean and curt, a lot of that has to do with the fact that New York is very a fast paced city, so as a result, New Yorkers have subconsciously adapted to keeping up with the pace. That's just part of the lifestyle of living in NYC. But as I said before, if you ever take the time to stop and talk to most New Yorkers, many are very warm, friendly, and welcoming.

The first time I went to NYC, there were countless New Yorkers who could spot a lost tourist a mile away and who took time out of the everyday hustle and bustle to stop, smile and joke with me, and give me directions. So yes, the stereotype of all New Yorkers being rude and unfriendly is usually just that---a stereotype.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,257,610 times
Many people have very negative associations with cities. I know people in outstate Minnesota who truly believe that Minneapolis is a dangerous cesspit of depravity where everyone is either an elitist snob or a welfare queen. It’s complete nonsense, but if they think that about Minneapolis, imagine what they think about New York.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,400,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Also, as someone from NY that absolutely despises this bull****

Can we all ****ing agree about this abomination?

Im Italian myself, raised a Yankee fan (couldnt care less now, I actually go for the Cubs) and its probably the dumbest and most annoying aspect of it all.
Perhaps you should try a Jamaican New York Yankee fitted instead.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,400,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
And I love New York--it's an amazing city, among my top 10 cities worldwide--however if it comes to pizza or bagels or the Cyclone roller coaster or whatever--you just smile and say--"Yeah, nothing compares to New York pizza. It must be the water!" I just don't bother arguing the fact that---well I've had good pizza all over the US--but I figure might as well just play to their own sensibilities....
Haha. New York Pizza is indeed highly overrated. It's been a long time since I've had a bagel in New York. But I eat pizza all the time and it's not much different from the pizza you'd find anywhere else. Just don't tell New Yorkers that because they'll bug out.

I think it's really only on C-D that people have ill feelings towards New Yorkers because of the adversarial nature of some of the forums. Anytime you have a "New York vs. __________" thread it's not going to end well for "__________" 95% of the time.

I think there might be more contempt for New Yorkers by suburbanites (and vice versa) than people outside of the city. If you're not from the Five Boroughs, you might as well be from some other city like St. Louis.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. New York Pizza is indeed highly overrated. It's been a long time since I've had a bagel in New York. But I eat pizza all the time and it's not much different from the pizza you'd find anywhere else. Just don't tell New Yorkers that because they'll bug out.
There are a lot bad pizza places in Manhattan, but whenever I go home, I make an effort to have pizza. It's hard to find a good bagel outside of the NYC metro IMO. But a lot cheap place in the boros don't have good bagels, either. I have had more consistent luck on Long Island. A bit the same with pizza.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM

405 posts, read 818,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There are a lot bad pizza places in Manhattan, but whenever I go home, I make an effort to have pizza. It's hard to find a good bagel outside of the NYC metro IMO. But a lot cheap place in the boros don't have good bagels, either. I have had more consistent luck on Long Island. A bit the same with pizza.
Hell yeah!!! Most of the best pizza places in NYC are in Brooklyn. I'll tell you what's overrated as hell, though: the hot dogs at Coney Island ("World Famous" Nathan's).

Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,389,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am not making a contest out of this either, but I was immediately interested in what you had to say about comparing the Green Mountains in Vermont to those in North Carolina. The reason why your ex-Vermont resident perceives the Green Mountains to be higher is because of the concept of prominence.

Topographic prominence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mount Mitchell, in North Carolina, is indeed a formidable mountain by appearance, however, other high points in neighboring states, or even other high mountains in North Carolina, share a much lower prominence than most of the higher mountains in Vermont. The rise is more dramatic in Vermont, because there is much lower elevation in closer proximity to those mountains than there is in Western North Carolina, which is uniformly much higher in elevation in the lower lying areas. So, the appearance of majestic mountains is much greater in Vermont, for the most part, than it is North Carolina.
mt mitchell still has the highest prominence on the east coast over 6000 ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.