Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The only people I meet who live up to the NYC stereotype are transplants trying to copy an image. It's very sad. The majority of native NYers are nice people just like anywhere else in the country. The only difference is accent.
Amen.

I moved to Atlanta from NY and people are surprised that I hold doors for people (sometimes), say please and thank you, and all that. They all thought that every New Yorker was a cold-hearted individual, which some are, don't get me wrong, but a lot of us are polite and easy to get along with.

The only time the "New Yorker" in me comes out is in meetings when needed. Business seems to bring out the stereotype of being rude, talking fast and loud, and not giving a F in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
You don't have to go far to see the disdain for NYer's.

Go on the New Jersey board and see the "New Jerseys future" thread or "Where should I live in central Jersey" to see how people from Jersey think that people from Brooklyn and Staten Island who move to Jersey are ruining sections of the state.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
From what I noticed, a good people people everywhere have a negative view of New Yorkers, but the actual dislike seems most from Southerners, New Englanders, and Upstate New Yorkers. I've had several of the latter tell me that when they tell people they are from New York, they are automatically assumed to be from the NYC area and are sometimes treated rudely by the other person, but when they say they are from Upstate New York or name their city, people don't seem to stereotype them in a negative light so much. As far as the previous poster about disdain toward New Yorkers in New Jersey, I believe there is a little rivalry between those 2 and some New Yorkers do have a disdainful attitude toward New Jerseyans. I also think that in that case, disdainful attitudes in an area tend to develop toward those of which a large amount are moving into the area. That would be New Yorkers in New Jesrey, Northerners in general in Florida (especially among the older generation Floridians), Floridians and Northeasterners in the Carolinas, Californians in other Western states, etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
When you're living in it, as a native or long-term resident, you don't see it either. Not that Upstate areas are that "rude", but there is an element of impatience, a bit of abruptness, directness that you see if you are "new" to NY state. Other North-Eastern states have it, too. It can be perceived as "rude" to people who don't have those qualities.
But, actually,even for the downstaters or NYC'ers it' s just a "personna," or the way the are/relate. It's not personal and most NY'ers are very giving, decent people once you get past their defenses/personna stuff.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
When you're living in it, as a native or long-term resident, you don't see it either. Not that Upstate areas are that "rude", but there is an element of impatience, a bit of abruptness, directness that you see if you are "new" to NY state. Other North-Eastern states have it, too. It can be perceived as "rude" to people who don't have those qualities.
But, actually,even for the downstaters or NYC'ers it' s just a "personna," or the way the are/relate. It's not personal and most NY'ers are very giving, decent people once you get past their defenses/personna stuff.
Interesting points made! Another thing I've noticed is that some Northeasterners try to go out of their way to show how they are not like New Yorkers. One gentleman from southern New Jersey told me how one time he and some friends from his area visited to Wisconsin and told me how "they treated us like New Yorkers" in describing how the locals, expecting them to act rude, were generally not so kind to them first. This gentleman then firmly stated how he didn't like being lumped in with New Yorkers due to his hometown's close proximity from there. I also noticed that if you ask a person if he/she is from New York, he/she might get slightly offended.
Another observation I've noticed is that the general disdain is almost always aimed at people who currently live in or around NYC or have just recently moved from NYC or surrounding area. Ex-New Yorkers who have lived in another area for awhile are generally viewed as having adapted to their new regions.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM

370 posts, read 624,682 times
I am a third generation New Yorker, with most of my family still living in NYC. My Aunt and Uncle who have lived in Brooklyn their whole lives went to San Antonio for a trip with their church. I asked them how they liked San Antonio. They said, "It was nice but there was nothing to do there." I asked them what it was that they wanted to do but couldn't, and I was met with silence. FYI, this is a couple who do not take public transportation (they drive everywhere), whose favorite restaurant is an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, and whose favorite activity is going to the mall.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Well my dad's side of the family is Bajan and from New York. They tease me a lot when I go up there, and even though they're family and the joking is all in good fun, you can still tell that there is a subconscious expectation they have that I should be a bumpkin or unsophisticated just because I'm from Texas.

A lot of the NY posters on here tend to display that arrogance a lot.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
I too have lived in the northeast most of my life,but from having moved to various states down the coast I've become pretty tired/resentful of the place now. New Yorkers can be pretty direct,which is similar to the area of New Jersey I was raised in...I can respect that part. But now living in eastern Pennsylvania,I find it is a loose shadow of the NY area...they kind of have an attitude but they don't quite got it and it's just annoying

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I am a third generation New Yorker, with most of my family still living in NYC. My Aunt and Uncle who have lived in Brooklyn their whole lives went to San Antonio for a trip with their church. I asked them how they liked San Antonio. They said, "It was nice but there was nothing to do there." I asked them what it was that they wanted to do but couldn't, and I was met with silence. FYI, this is a couple who do not take public transportation (they drive everywhere), whose favorite restaurant is an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, and whose favorite activity is going to the mall.
What did they want to do in SA that they couldn't do when they live the "stereotypical" suburban life?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As a non-NYer who has lived in the 6th bourgough (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale), I would like to chime in.

NYers are generally disliked because they are:

generally loud/obnoxious compared to others
arrogant
Always talk about NYC ("YOU haven't been to NYC?!?!")
aggressive/scammer types
bad attitude
rude (a large presence of them in a city can make the city feel more rude)
most aggressive drivers even when not necessary
even uneducated NYers think they are smarter or more refined than people with same education outside of NY.
Into superficial flashy things (BMW and cosmetic surgery means you have arrived instead of education, home ownership, etc.)
But even worse than that is they think it's a plus, something to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.