Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
My mother used to blow a loud coach's whistle when it was time to come home. We could hear that thing from a mile away it seemed. The other mother's thought that was a great idea so they started using whistles too!

Which meant that there were whistles blowing all over the place so we all raced home thinking it was OUR mother calling us! Too funny!
ROFL

So, your mother used to know a loud coach, and she used to blow his whistle. So that is what she called it!!?? Did your Dad know she was blowing whistles all day?? Did she ever blow Dad's whistle? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 01:58 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
ROFL

So, your mother used to know a loud coach, and she used to blow his whistle. So that is what she called it!!?? Did your Dad know she was blowing whistles all day?? Did she ever blow Dad's whistle? Inquiring minds want to know!!
I just knew someone was going to go "there"!!!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 02:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
D you guys remember that medicine that was red and your mom would get it out and use the stick to put it on your cuts, my how did that stuff burn!!! Cant remember what it was called.
We called it "monkey blood". LOL!!!! And they would even put it on you at school if you got a scrape or cut. Can't do that now. Someone might sue.

And nowadays we have to be outside w/ our kids when they are playing in the front. Can't just let them go to explore the neighborhood or town and find new friends. Walk to the 7-Eleven on summer days or nights for a Slurpee when you were an older kid. Chase the ice cream truck down when you heard the faint sounds of it in the distance. Ride your bike to the store, bowling alley, movies or to meet up w/ your friends.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,700 times
In my neighborhood we had neighborhood-wide games of capture the flag. I'm talking 50+ kids (all ages) in over 100 backyards. It was incredible and everyone loved it.

Never would happen these days.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And nowadays we have to be outside w/ our kids when they are playing in the front. Can't just let them go to explore the neighborhood or town and find new friends. Walk to the 7-Eleven on summer days or nights for a Slurpee when you were an older kid. Chase the ice cream truck down when you heard the faint sounds of it in the distance. Ride your bike to the store, bowling alley, movies or to meet up w/ your friends.
My daughter never let's her kids ride their bikes alone. So sad!
And Halloween. It was always held on October 31st and everyone waited until it got dark or it wasn't any fun. My parents never walked us around--we went with friends and they stayed home to handed out candy. When we got home the only reason we checked our candy was to see what we could trade up with. Again, my grandkids will never know what that's like.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I remember it was like macuracome menthalate, that an ex-lax cured everything...lol

Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM

336 posts, read 513,424 times
I miss seeing playgrounds made of wood, sand, rocks, cement, steel with moving parts instead of these stupid bright colored plastic, rubber, and foam pieces of crap i see in all the parks now with no swings or anything else that moves.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:15 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Great read!! Born in 69 here. Yes those were the days!! I remember actually walking to school .......my daughter is 12 and I still drive her. You have to be too careful these days, it's a shame when you live in a nice neighborhood, yet you still find 3 sex offenders living in it. Crazy!!
I want to drink from the garden hose too!! Nothing tasted better on a warm summer day.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM

768 posts, read 4,387,297 times
Nice. The early 80s weren't so bad either. Video games were still new, and we all did crazy things. I rarely buckled my seat belt and would often lie down on the back seat. I didn't have "child safe" items everywhere nor did my parents have bumpers on the table corners or door knobs. I also played with "dangerous" metal toys and played football on concrete.

I was born in 1980 and it was basically just an extension of the 70s. Good times, my friends, good times.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
ROFL

OMG!! Mom's quite a gal, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.