Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:38 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected on the Cuban MIssle crisis, I happened to be in Key West Fl, and it was 1962 that was the[I moved 26 times by the time I was 17]year I was not allowed to play ball anymore because I was a girl, and I do remember the Mc Carthy hearings my father was a big fan of Mc Carthy and later NIxon, when Nixon finally stood up to Mc Carthy, it was because of Eisenhower. I lived in South Carolina and Florida during the civil rights movement and later Washington D.C, the reason I was such a liberal at so young is because I had a British mother who taught me how to stand up to a bunch of bigots at an early age. I hope it angered a lot of people and made them think which I hate to say is not done much nor has it ever or history wouldn't be repeating itself. The bus happened, I was 16 and lived in Tampa Fl, we used to take city busses to school and a black maid was waiting for her bus when the rednecks decided to spit on her first and call her names and because I asked them to stop spit on me instead,. Do not tell me that segregation did not exist or did you have your own good n****** that I heard, while in SC, that thier n*****s were good ones.Do not tell me or anyone that child molesting is a new thing, everyone used to joke about priests and alter boys and weird uncles etc. Hoover happened, JFK, Nixon, Vietnam, Mc Carthy, these things happened and the same things are happening today. Things were not better then. If we do not wake up to what happened in the past we will no longer have a future,and you can kiss the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights good-by. You can tiptoe thru the tulips all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 09:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Default The Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I stand corrected on the Cuban MIssle crisis, I happened to be in Key West Fl, and it was 1962 that was the[I moved 26 times by the time I was 17]year I was not allowed to play ball anymore because I was a girl, and I do remember the Mc Carthy hearings my father was a big fan of Mc Carthy and later NIxon, when Nixon finally stood up to Mc Carthy, it was because of Eisenhower. I lived in South Carolina and Florida during the civil rights movement and later Washington D.C, the reason I was such a liberal at so young is because I had a British mother who taught me how to stand up to a bunch of bigots at an early age. I hope it angered a lot of people and made them think which I hate to say is not done much nor has it ever or history wouldn't be repeating itself. The bus happened, I was 16 and lived in Tampa Fl, we used to take city busses to school and a black maid was waiting for her bus when the rednecks decided to spit on her first and call her names and because I asked them to stop spit on me instead,. Do not tell me that segregation did not exist or did you have your own good n****** that I heard, while in SC, that thier n*****s were good ones.Do not tell me or anyone that child molesting is a new thing, everyone used to joke about priests and alter boys and weird uncles etc. Hoover happened, JFK, Nixon, Vietnam, Mc Carthy, these things happened and the same things are happening today. Things were not better then. If we do not wake up to what happened in the past we will no longer have a future,and you can kiss the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights good-by. You can tiptoe thru the tulips all you want.
Your last sentence made sense. The reason I think people are responding to this post is to remember the good times and memories, which gives us the strength to carry on and work to preserve the Constitution and Bill of Rights! Of course all those bad things happened, we know that, but good things happened too.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
Man do I miss fireflys and real hippies.
I wish the silent majority was silent again.
Than again who is the silent majority now ?
Anybody play "kick the can" or "johnny tackle"
Remember when the Cubs would lose all the time -
I guess some things never change.
Tube tops and hip hugging bell bottoms (yeah baby) !
Awsome album artwork and running thru Sears to get
to Ticket Tron for great tickets. All those first times.
How cool was "Roots" and "Creature Features".
We kids delivered the papers and mowed the lawns.
Teachers could do their jobs without political correctness.
It's like Archie and Edith singing that song "those were the days".

Old 10-22-2006, 08:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Alexander59 has a very good point.
These email forwards are very fun and there is some truth to them, but all was not perfect then any more than it is now.
However, I appreciate too what Fox Terrier said: it's enjoyable to reminisce.
We Americans do seem to have a short attention span.
But we still have freedom of speech, right?
(At least, until someone decides we're enemy combatants.) ;-)

Old 10-22-2006, 07:44 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
yes, i understand both points being made here- again, like the age limits thread, i think people are just misunderstanding each other. i think the thread was meant to be happy and nostalgic... people were just having fun. yes, alexander makes some good points about the past (that i agree with)! but i think it kinda rained on everyone's parade... i dont think anyone wanted this thread to be a debate topic.

Last edited by mariatherese; 10-22-2006 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: sic

Old 10-23-2006, 04:28 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
We were remembering our childhoods, Alexander59. My childhood was wonderful and innocent. I'm sorry yours wasn't. That's why I'm concerned for kids today. It's hard for them to experience the same youthful innocence when they can't go anywhere without Mom or Dad with them, they have to be taught how to fight back if somebody grabs them, they have to pass through security to fly to Grandma's, catch a pro game with Dad or, often, just to get into school. They're even banning tag at many grade schools now!
Yes, those times did feel wonderful and I will always cherish those memories!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 AM

19 posts, read 70,737 times
Smile Thanks for memories!

Born in '65 , spent most of my time outside in the Arizona sunshine! All the memories everyone is writing about is true. Isn't it amazing that all these posts are from all around and across the United States and we all have some kind of flashback form our childhood days that we can all relate too. That's really awesome! How great these days were!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,214 times
Thanks for taking me down memory lane B'GOSHBOY.I must say that's one of the most joyable things I've read in a long time.It took me back to an era I have long forgot.1965 baby here.Long live the good ole days.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
Hi guys
What a lovely post! Even though I am a child of the late 80's and early 90's I still feel I got to experience a bit of that. Like Playing in the playground or riding my bike with my friends in the park. I remember I feel from the bike and scraped my knew, my friend Nelson ripped his bottom part of the shirt and banded my knee. (I wonder were he is now) We played Nintendo and Sega in the early 90's but it was like a whole group of us and never for a long time.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'Goshboy View Post
Those Born 1930-1979!

TO ALL THE KIDS
WHO SURVIVED the
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we
rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and

NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
Hey I had it similair growing up in Ohio and I was born in 1980. I spent my childhood outdoors. Admittedly everyones yard in the neighborhood was basically fair game for pass or something. Neighbors never seemed to care. It was normal to see kids all over the streets riding bikes, playing ball, walking in other peoples yards. We usually mowed the plats lawns, raked their leaves, shoeveled their snow and other stuff to make some money. Although I did get addicted to video games(started on Commodore 64 and played every system since other than handhelds). I wasnt allowed to play them all the time because my parents would watch TV when they got home from work.

We camped out entire summers in the woods behind our house. We took lawnmowers back in the woods and fields and made baseball diamonds, camping spots, tree houses, even dug ponds and stocked them with fish. Dude we even put rope ziplines in the trees and connected them. We got the idea from the Ewoks in Star Wars. It was like "Stand By Me" but without the tradgedy and much better. I hope and pray those days arent gone for our kids. They will all grow up in some aesthetic society where everything has to be perfect and maintained.

In the winter we collected maple syrup for an old guy. The deal was we got to slosh around on the four wheeler and haul the syrup drums back to the maple syrup shack. And we got two jugs for the work also(a jug would last about three months or more). Plus our friends families would feed us if we were there. It was like a common thing for people to do. Yea it wasnt perfect, but it sure beats my life now. Im still a big kid and always will be.

I know its cliche but we also use to walk to and home from school that was about five miles away. It would take over an hour. But the joy was sneaking a and smoking(when we were older of course , or meeting up with friends that were walking. Plus when I got grounded(for bad grades from not doing my homework) walking home was the only time I could hang with friends. The days of suntea, having the reddest juiciest beef steak and cherry tomatos. Cucumbers and sweet corn.

My parents were really cheap too. I always got Brittish Knight shoes or Jordache. My favorite were some Pony high tops I had because they earned me the nickname "ponyboy" and "pretty boy". Even though I was really handsome and extremely healthly I was a dang good fighter. Now I feel like a blob consumed with total crappy life syndrom. When you get older everything sucks way worse. And you can shrug it off nearly as quick.

We rode our bikes on what we called journeys and explorations. We just pretended like we were discovering the world. Sometimes we would ride half a day away, and then the other half going back home exploring along the way. Then we modified our bikes, built ramps and bike trails. We must have had a full little bicylce shop on our back porch going. Everyone would bring their bikes over and customize them. Of course my dad was always griping about tools because my brother would lose them or leave them out.

We had one of those tin patio roofs and some of those lawn furniture with big cushions. I would sit under the patio roof and do homework during storms or just fall asleep sometimes. We were gone everyday all day long sometimes without eating anything.

As we got older everyone started playing musical instruments. mainly guitar. We were called the wolfpack by our friends families. There were atleast 15 of us that were very close friends and around each other all the time. We were a family in itself. We would even all stay at a certain friends house(his mom was an awesome lady that was a teacher at an inner city school, she was always very good to all of us). Who would let fiftten kids stay the night anytime they wanted these days? We werent doing drugs or anything either. We helped each other with homework, played guitar, made bands, played Mortal Kombat championships A LOT, wrestled each other in tournaments that would last sometimes for ten hours a day(it was just an extension of watching UFC, but we already beat each other up all the time before that just for fun. Some of my friends got very good at guitar.

Those days were a blast. life sucks now lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.