Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Southern or midwestern...'goin aaan?';
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM

145 posts, read 256,948 times
New York (Brooklyn), New England, and Boston
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I grew up around all these and learned to love them.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Louisiana/New Orleans and Boston. Two of the more distinct and unique accents in this country.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM

260 posts, read 472,911 times
I'm not from the U.S and I can hear the differences between the accents even if I don't know where they're from necessarily.

It would be nice to hear some 'regional' accents more in films/tv etc as to my ears they sound really cool.

Last edited by rckgrl; 02-16-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I like that 9th ward Yat accent more.
I find it interesting how New Orleans accents appear to be segregated by ward. Is there a historic reason for this? A book I'm reading about the settling of the American west says that groups from the Deep South and Cajuns/Creoles didn't intermarry through the 1860s. Would that be part of the reason or is there something else? (this is a thing pretty unique to New Orleans)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Boston and New Orleans are the worst. I guess I like a bland and boring Midwestern accent.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I find it interesting how New Orleans accents appear to be segregated by ward. Is there a historic reason for this? A book I'm reading about the settling of the American west says that groups from the Deep South and Cajuns/Creoles didn't intermarry through the 1860s. Would that be part of the reason or is there something else? (this is a thing pretty unique to New Orleans)
The 9th ward is just considered the epicenter of the Yat accent. That accent is really just the working class white accent that was found in many parts of the city that fitted the decription of working class and white. A ward basically serves the same function as a neighborhood (or usually a group of neighborhoods) which can have different demographics and lead to the development of different accents. Example is the 7th Ward is known for its Black Creole population. I would think the reasons why people from other parts of the South did not marry Creoles and Cajuns is becuase they have different cultures. Also New Orleans historically was seperated into a Creole Downtown (down river of Canal Street which includes wards 4-9) and an American Uptown (up river of Canal street which includes wards 1-3 and 10-17) which obviously tended to seperate the different groups.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 02-17-2013 at 01:55 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
The 9th ward is just considered the epicenter of the Yat accent. That accent is really just the working class white accent that was found in many parts of the city that fitted the decription of working class and white. A ward basically serves the same function as a neighborhood (or usually a group of neighborhoods) which can have different demographics and lead to the development of different accents. Example is the 7th Ward is known for its Black Creole population. I would think the reasons why people from other parts of the South did not marry Creoles and Cajuns is becuase they have different cultures. Also New Orleans historically was seperated into a Creole Downtown (down river of Canal Street which includes wards 4-9) and an American Uptown (up river of Canal street which includes wards 1-3 and 10-17) which obviously tended to seperate the different groups.
Yeah, that makes sense. I knew that about wards. I was just wondering if there was other mixing between wards.

Here's a link to what I mean for the New Orleans accent being segregated by neighborhood. The map is up higher, so you can see if it's at all accurate:
American English Dialects

(I meant split up by Parish, btw).

Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. I knew that about wards. I was just wondering if there was other mixing between wards.

Here's a link to what I mean for the New Orleans accent being segregated by neighborhood. The map is up higher, so you can see if it's at all accurate:
American English Dialects

(I meant split up by Parish, btw).
Most of the wards didn't have specific accents and ethnicities that were only found in that particular ward. There was mixing between wards but there sometimes was the dominant or stereotypical ward that was heavily associated with it. I think most of the time it was not really segregated by neighborhood (or ward) but just by parts of the city that had the right demographics. The ward or neighborhood boundary never perfectly conformed to the accents, especially since a lot of those wards boundaries were outlined before the accents fully developed and many wards have weird borders or are only 4 blocks wide. For example most of the area on that map bordered in blue, which represents the Yat accent, is not just the 9th ward but also seems to include the lower parts of wards 2-8 and parts of St. Bernard Parish. But the 9th ward does take up a large chunk of that area and a large portion of St. Bernard Parish residents are originally from the 9th Ward.

That map might have been accurate in the 1950s (I would have also included Gentilly back then) but not really today. Those accents have spread out a lot due to the growth of suburbs. You are now much more likely to find a Yat in the areas labeled Jefferson Parish or in the rest of New Orleans than in the 9th Ward. Although, the area bordered in blue that is east of the Lower 9th Ward is St. Bernard Parish and that area is still an epicenter of the Yat accent. I would also say that I would not describe any area on that map as "Classical Southern" in present times, though historically that would have been parts of Uptown and Garden District areas. Plus the Black accents do not seem to be shown at all on the map.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 02-17-2013 at 11:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Most of the wards didn't have specific accents and ethnicities that were only found in that particular ward. There was mixing between wards but there sometimes was the dominant or stereotypical ward that was heavily associated with it. I think most of the time it was not really segregated by neighborhood (or ward) but just by parts of the city that had the right demographics. The ward or neighborhood boundary never perfectly conformed to the accents, especially since a lot of those wards boundaries were outlined before the accents fully developed and many wards have weird borders or are only 4 blocks wide. For example most of the area on that map bordered in blue, which represents the Yat accent, is not just the 9th ward but also seems to include the lower parts of wards 2-8 and parts of St. Bernard Parish.

That map might have been accurate in the 1950s (I would have also included Gentilly back then) but not really today. Those accents have spread out a lot due to the growth of suburbs. You are now much more likely to find a Yat in the areas labeled Jefferson Parish or in the rest of New Orleans than in the 9th Ward. Although, the area bordered in blue that is east of the Lower 9th Ward is St. Bernard Parish and that area is still an epicenter of the Yat accent. I would also say that I would not describe any area on that map as "Classical Southern" in present times, though historically that would have been parts of Uptown and Garden District areas. Plus the Black accents do not seem to be shown at all on the map.
Chalmette wouldn't be considered Yet would it? I can normally pick out a person from Chalmette really quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.