Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM

27,230 posts, read 28,302,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Geography has a lot to do with ethnicity in the US (and lots of other countries).
This is true to an extent. But some places in the U.S., especially in the larger metro areas, have very mixed ethnicities. So you kind of get a taste of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
There's certainly not as much cultural isolation as there used to be. With cable TV and internet in a huge percentage of households, even in rural areas, and with the advent of social media, even your average country bumpkin is tweeting, posting pictures on Facebook, and watching American Idol or The Voice or some other stupid crap.

Yes, regional differences exist. Yes, the urban/rural divide exists. Yes, there are huge political divides as well. But as a culture, I think we share more in common as a nation than we ever have.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,252,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is true to an extent. But some places in the U.S., especially in the larger metro areas, have very mixed ethnicities. So you kind of get a taste of everything.
I think that cultural diversity is part of what makes urban culture different from rural culture, in general. Not that there can't be quite a bit of diversity in small towns, but that does seem to be a general distinction.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,749,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
There's certainly not as much cultural isolation as there used to be. With cable TV and internet in a huge percentage of households, even in rural areas, and with the advent of social media, even your average country bumpkin is tweeting, posting pictures on Facebook, and watching American Idol or The Voice or some other stupid crap.

Yes, regional differences exist. Yes, the urban/rural divide exists. Yes, there are huge political divides as well. But as a culture, I think we share more in common as a nation than we ever have.
I don't think it's so much a case of "TV and Twitter making us more the same" but rather, the Californian lifestyle, culture and accent is heralded as the "ideal" at the expense of the other regional cultures so the older people end up ashamed of their local heritage and do not pass it on to their children.

I mean England has had television for 60 years yet their regional cultures are still quite strong. Maybe even stronger than they were in say the 1970s since regional accents have gone back in vogue and RP is on the way out.

I think a lot of it has to do with America being molded into a homogenous "nation" so we can better serve the "Fatherland" rather than feel connected to our community or region. A similar phenomenon happened in France, Germany and Italy, 200 years ago those countries had dozens of different dialects and people did not think of themselves as French or German or Italian, but rather as residents of their nearest city or its hinterland.

Presently the same thing is happening in China with the imposition of the Mandarin language, and probably to a lesser extent in India as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I don't think it's so much a case of "TV and Twitter making us more the same" but rather, the Californian lifestyle, culture and accent is heralded as the "ideal" at the expense of the other regional cultures so the older people end up ashamed of their local heritage and do not pass it on to their children.
No, not really.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I haven't seen anything like that anywhere I've lived. I've heard a lot more people snicker and sneer at stereotypical Californians and their laws and culture than anything else, and I've found that many people in the US have local pride, and have no desire to adopt some other culture wholesale.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,005,425 times
All areas have McDonald's, iPhones, Big Box Stores, Chevrolets, Beyonce on the radio, Levi's, Nike, Slurpees, college and pro sports, and all areas speak English as the common language....yadda, yadda, yadda.....
No matter how much we like to think we are different (or better) from others, we are more similar than we are different.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
All areas have McDonald's, iPhones, Big Box Stores, Chevrolets, Beyonce on the radio, Levi's, Nike, Slurpees, college and pro sports, and all areas speak English as the common language....yadda, yadda, yadda.....
There's a lot more to culture, at least outside of the suburbs, than that kind of materialistic junk. A rancher in Wyoming can buy the same brand of shoes or root for the same football team as a stock broker in Manhattan, but there are very significant differences in their lifestyles.

Last edited by tigre79; 02-14-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,005,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
There's a lot more to culture, at least outside of the suburbs, than that kind of materialistic junk. A rancher in Wyoming can buy the same brand of shoes or root for the same football team as a stock broker in Manhattan, but there are very significant differences in their lifestyles.
....and you are on the Web participating in a forum with people all over the country. Yet another example of our similarities.
Sure we are different but I still contend that our cultural influences are more similar than many might realize.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,576,217 times
I've lived in several different US regions, and I agree with those who say that differences are more determined by ethnicity and how urban/rural an area is. Residents of Atlanta, Denver and Seattle aren't that different. Atlantans probably have more in common with people from Denver than with people from south Georgia. Ethnicity does come into play, however. The only non white majority place I lived (southern California) does have some differences from the rest of the US. Even white Californians have adopted some aspects of Mexican culture. Most white folks I know who are still back home have tamales on the Thanksgiving table along with the other traditional staples and love a good horchata.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.