Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 18,312 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are trying to determine where we want to settle down after he finishes college, which we anticipate to happen in the next two years. He is pretty open-minded about what type of area he will live in, whether city/country, seaside/land, etc. I, on the other hand, have always had my heart set on living in a small, quaint town with a New England feel to it. It's also very important to me that we find a house we love...which, in my dreams, would be a Victorian. To provide some reference, if you've ever watched the show "Gilmore Girls," that's the type of town I'm looking for and if you've seen the movie "Practical Magic," that's my dream house

We have been living in a very small town in upstate NY for almost 4 years now and have experienced what it's like to be in a town where everyone knows each other's business and that hasn't been an issue for us. The real trouble is that my boyfriend would love to be on the west coast near his family. They primarily live in the Bay Area near San Francisco, so as long as we're a plane ride away, he would be a happy guy. However, I've been having a really hard time finding any towns on the west coast that are in line with that quaint, New England feel I'm aiming for. The closest possibility I came upon was Port Townsend, WA but from the forum posts it seems that the area is ideally suited for retirees with money...not young working couples looking to start a life together.

Do you guys have any other areas in mind? We don't get to travel to the west coast very often, so any "insider information" would be GREATLY appreciated here! (Also, some additional details to help narrow it down...I work in publishing and my boyfriend is going into computer science, both of which could potentially be available for remote work, although that would not necessarily be a guarantee.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Mendocino, CA.

You may not be able to afford it until you get established in your careers but you could live in Fort Bragg nearby and visit regularly to soak up the ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.