Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The "extreme religious right" did not "take over" the rural South, Midwest, and West, they have always been there. The thing is, it used to be that the majority of this country was religious and conservative. It's nothing new, those are just the areas where it still remains the cultural norm. Harvard University was originally founded for the purpose of training Congregationalist Clergy, Rhode Island was founded by Roger Williams as a colony for those with other religious views than the Puritans, and Maryland was founded as a haven for Roman Catholics in the New World. The New England states have simply pulled away from what were originally deeply religious roots for whatever reasons.

One of many reasons why I have no desire to ever live in any of the New England states, but to each their own.
True. Some people find it shocking that 100 years ago most people believed the Earth was literally 6,000 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
As a disclaimer before I undoubtedly get called on it, I do know that Maryland is not a New England state, I was just making a point that the origins of this country were largely based on religion. This is obviously the case in Massachusetts, as it was founded by the Puritans to avoid religious persecution in Europe and have a place where they could freely worship the way that they wanted to.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah but they're right wing in a libertarian way, as in their state motto 'live free or die' no in the restrictive social conservative religious way of the Deep South.
Are we talking about compared to the deep south or upstate NY? I am confused. I find NH to be more right wing libertarian than most places I've been to, but don't find upstate NY to be that conservative in comparison. I find it to be more in line with New England than any other place.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
I live in upstate NY and I would agree that rural areas here are somewhat more conservative compared to places where there are larger populations (we don't have cities per say, more towns and villages). By conservative I mean more interested in as small a government as possible type of mentality.

And there is no religious influence on our local politics, I couldn't tell you anything about the religious beliefs of any of my neighbors. Its more of a zoning, taxation type of conflict. For the past two years our county legislatures have been attempting to raise both our property taxes and our sales taxes. They keep getting turned down yet they continue to propose the issue. Yet poll after poll shows that the majority of residents are vehemently opposed to either raise.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Liberal / Conservative; some times these labels are very confining.

My township decided to burn it's town charter as a method of lowering our taxes. Is that liberal?

Every election cycle we have a bunch of bonds for raising our taxes. Everyone I know is strongly against raising taxes. Anywhere I drive I will see signs up with 'NO' on all of the bond issues. Yet with each election, every bond is passed, and taxes go up.

This state has one city whose population [including suburbs] out-numbers the other 99.95% of the state. Presumably the urban population loves higher taxes so they vote for higher taxes every time. While the vast majority of the state is rural, and wants lower taxes; the city folk over-ride this and push for higher taxes. Does this make us liberal? or conservative?

I tend to think of myself as being conservative. I only moved here 7 years ago, though so far it seems that my politics generally reflects that of my neighbors.

We all carry firearms. We all fish and hunt. Some of us farm, some do not. Nearly every household has a truck with a snowplow; most go around after storms to check on neighbors and plow them out if anyone is having problems. Is this liberal? or conservative?

We do not have as many churches as I have seen in Oklahoma / Missouri. Though I think that most everyone I know are all active in their own faith groups. Is this liberal? or conservative?

I tend to support most things of the Tea Party platform. When I discuss topics with my neighbors, VFW members, at the college, and at our Farmer's Market; it seems that most people I rub elbows with likewise support Tea Party ideals.

Is Tea Party considered liberal? or conservative?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Population centers of Upstate NY arent conservative.

Im from Upstate NY and extremely liberal.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM

New England is also nowhere near as liberal as Norcal.

Its also extremely religious, which is hilarious when I see other Northeasterners talking about the Midwest in the same light.

MN, WI, Northwest and Norcal are more liberal and progressive than anywhere else ive seen. There are parts of the Northeast that are extremely conservative and religious.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
MN, WI, Northwest and Norcal are more liberal and progressive than anywhere else ive seen. There are parts of the Northeast that are extremely conservative and religious.
True, dont forget Michigan, Illinois and Iowa.

I am considered a right winger here in Minnesota because of my views of immigration, gun laws, small government strong military. down in Texas i was "the crazy liberal from the North" just because of my lack or religion, support for marriage and abortion.

and i know plenty of other Republicans from blue states who are like myself.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Pretty much.

Its an often overlooked area (IL, IA, WI, MN, etc.)

People really dont have a ****ing clue about the Midwest.

Pacific Northwest and Norcal as well.

Its just hilarious that so many people think the Northeast is this liberal breeding ground. Its extremely conservative, provincial and religious. Maybe all of the status and wealth have something to do with it.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Sorry Heyooo I didn't phrase that correctly. I meant that it seems like the smaller towns are conservative, while the larger towns, usually ones with colleges and universities, seem quite liberal. While most of the population lives "out of town" our local political leaders seem to heavily represent the college professor, liberal type of population.

Submariner well said. I tend to think of all of the things you mentioned as being conservative, but they aren't really political ideologies as much as a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.